Can I fly a plane?

optionizerSS

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
OptionizerSS
So I'm going to be 52 soon and was in a car accident when I was 4 and cannot use my right arm at all. I can squeeze something between my arm and stomach but that's about it. I did some Google searches and found some that said as long as you can do it safely you can get certified? I can drive a manual (althouth my drivers license has it restricted) but I can still do it and did for years. I used to ride dirt bikes when I was younger by moving the throttle to the left side so the throttle and clutch were on the same side. I mention this to show that I can adapt if need be.

I have never been in any aircraft of this type and have only flown on airliners and obviously never been in the cockpit of one.

Is this something that would be possible? Thinking if I do proceed I would likely be looking at 152/172 or maybe down the road a 310 or other comparable models.

Thanks!

Yes, you'll have to do a special medical flight check to show that you have sufficient dexterity with the other arm, but it shouldn't be a problem. I knew a guy who was an Eastern Airlines pilot back in the day and lost an arm in an accident and even managed to get his first class (airline pilot) medical back. Eastern wouldn't hire him back, so he went to work for the NTSB. He flew sims on a lot of accident recreations and people say it was pretty amazing to watch him.

Cool. Thanks. I just don't want to start any of this only to find out I won't be able to. I don't know if I will even do this anyway. I don't think I would be able to get my wife in a plane with me...lol. She hates flying on the big planes. Just something I have been tossing around and 'dreaming' about but if there was no way to do it then I would just move on to something else. But then I'd have to figure out if we want to go out on the boat or go fly somewhere...lol. Took me a few years to talk her into trusting a boat

That was cool. Not sure I would NEED adaptive controls. I can reach over and work everything that needs worked but would have to let go of the yoke to do it. If that is not acceptable then I'd need to figure out a way to relocate the throttle and mixtures. I'm thinking landings would be the only real issue that I would have to figure out.

You should be able to do it. Try from both seats and see which side is easier to fly from.
I had read that somewhere too. Somewhere in one of my searches it said there is no regulation saying you can't fly from the right seat. That should make it much easier. Like I said above, if I don't need a hand on the yoke at the same time I'm working the throttle then I should be fine. If it isn't too much of an issue relocating the throttle then that would be a better option. Normally in a car I would say I can steer with my knee for that few seconds but don't think that would be doable with a yoke since it moves on a few different axis?

That was cool. Not sure I would NEED adaptive controls. I can reach over and work everything that needs worked but would have to let go of the yoke to do it. If that is not acceptable then I'd need to figure out a way to relocate the throttle and mixtures. I'm thinking landings would be the only real issue that I would have to figure out.
You can’t let go of the yoke to make power adjustments during landing. Or set the flaps, etc.

I had an uncle that was able to steer shift and smoke at the same time, one arm was cut off at the elbow. You’ll figure out how to juggle it..

but yeah try seats and see if any one works out better for you. Landings are the toughest for all of us, and likely will be for you as well. That’s when things need to be adjusted quick.

hmmmm. Pretty sure I 'could' figure it out but not sure it would be acceptable for certification. Sounds like moving a few controls would be the best bet. How hard would it be to move at least the throttle to the yoke on maybe a 152/172? In addition to that how would my flight time work? I'm sure the schools planes wouldn't be set up for that. Would I have to buy my own plane and have it already set up before starting?

To start out, I would sit on whichever side puts your "good" arm in the middle where the throttle and mixture and radios typically are in a side-by-side trainer like a 172. Your good hand can go quickly between them and the yoke.
You'll know a lot more about everything after you've tried it once or twice.

You'll also learn how much of flying is done with your FEET. (Spoiler alert: a lot of it!)

I seem to recall an RV that had a setup in it that used a motorcycle throttle grip on the stick. mixture would not be a problem as you don't need to be adjusting it at a critical time. now, the EE in me thinks throttle by wire would be the way to go with some sort of thumb lever or high hat switch, no problem on an EAB, but might be tough to get the feds to sign off on it in a certificated aircraft

Just in case OP doesn't know this already, pilots are typically trained to handle the actual flight controls with their left hand leaving the right free to run throttle, radios, and other switches. The throttle would be the main thing you'd need to be able to run without taking hands off of flight controls. Most Cessnas use a push/pull throttle control while a few others(Pipers for one) use a lever.

Also for flaps some aircraft use a johnson bar... big handle between the seats that kind of resembles a big emergency brake lever in a car. Others(Cessnas) may have electric flaps and use a switch.

Here's a pretty good picture of what a Cessna 172 cockpit would look like with a pilot working flight controls and throttle at once, just to get you thinking about what might/might not work.

Cessna-172-Cockpit.jpg

Yeah I have seen that in the youtube videos which is what got me thinking about it. It's a longshot to begin with so I'm not getting my hopes up

@455 Bravo Uniform I'm in western PA just north of Pittsburgh.

Hopefully someone knowledgeable about actually doing this will come along. People missing limbs have been able to get their medicals and certificate so it's definitely possible.

As with everything in aviation it just takes some dedication and money.

I think you can get a sport certificate if you have no problems with the controls. Wouldn’t need any type of medical or a soda

I think you can get a sport certificate if you have no problems with the controls. Wouldn’t need any type of medical or a soda
Looks like a sport certificate won't let me do what I want. My plan would be trips to maybe Georgia, SC, NC, maybe FL and would be me and my wife at a minimum and maybe 1 or 2 others at times. Payload would be important as I'm not a little guy...lol. Not sure what all planes would fit the definition of sport plane but looks like they are limited to 2 seaters

Thanks. That's inspiring. Sounds like a sport certificate is out of the question for me. I weigh 275lbs but trying to lose a little...lol. A Cessna 152 would probably not work either as far as a purchase. Me and my wife together are just under 500lbs and from what I can see that would leave very little room for anything else? Or maybe I'm not understanding the way they list weights? I see useful weight listed but I believe that does not include fuel?

And I just bought and am downloading Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 so will see how that goes...lol.

On another note we took a ride over to Ohio today and drove past the Geouga Airport. Wife pointed it out then asked how long it takes to get a PPL...lol. I was kind of surprised by that.

Thanks. That's inspiring. Sounds like a sport certificate is out of the question for me. I weigh 275lbs but trying to lose a little...lol. A Cessna 152 would probably not work either as far as a purchase. Me and my wife together are just under 500lbs and from what I can see that would leave very little room for anything else? Or maybe I'm not understanding the way they list weights? I see useful weight listed but I believe that does not include fuel?

And I just bought and am downloading Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 so will see how that goes...lol.

On another note we took a ride over to Ohio today and drove past the Geouga Airport. Wife pointed it out then asked how long it takes to get a PPL...lol. I was kind of surprised by that.

An RV-12 LSA can carry you, your wife and 2.5 hours of fuel (580lb useful load), that means you can fly 200 mile legs for lunch runs and longer when solo. And they can be rented in some places, purchased used for less than $70, and are commonly purchased in partnerships.

http://www.flyrv12.com/flight-schools/

If you can swing it, you may be able to start your lessons local and when ready to solo spend a few days at one of these places for a "finish up" course.

Other LSAs can carry you, your wife and a minimum of 2 hours of fuel. I use the RV-12 as an example because I am familiar with it. Some LSAs can carry more than 600 lbs.

Edit to clarify, you can start sport pilot training in a plane that is not Sport Pilot qualified, you just cannot solo in it without a medical. So if you learn the basics of controlling the plane until your CFI says you are ready to solo, you can get a lot done locally before you have to find an LSA to solo, prep for and take the check ride in. (This is all assuming that there is not a suitable LSA to learn in locally).

Definitely something to think about. I think I really need to meet with an instructor and actually sit in a 152 or something similar to see exactly where everything is. I mean I drag raced for years in a 650HP 1969 Chevelle. It was an automatic but a manual valve body which meant I had to bump each gear manually at over 100 MPH

That's a couple of hours away. There is a flight school at the Beaver County airport but I don't know much about it.I am going to have to give them a call and maybe stop in

I found that with a 15 second search for "LSA rental Cleveland OH", with a little more digging you may find something closer.

I found that with a 15 second search for "LSA rental Cleveland OH", with a little more digging you may find something closer.
Thanks. Gonna look into that. I'm gonna guess there may be something closer but will look. I didn't know what LSA was. Had to look it up...lol

A bud has use of only 1 arm but flies competitive aerobatics

in a Pitts.

Motorcycle throttle on stick.

Just in case OP doesn't know this already, pilots are typically trained to handle the actual flight controls with their left hand leaving the right free to run throttle, radios, and other switches. The throttle would be the main thing you'd need to be able to run without taking hands off of flight controls. Most Cessnas use a push/pull throttle control while a few others(Pipers for one) use a lever.

Also for flaps some aircraft use a johnson bar... big handle between the seats that kind of resembles a big emergency brake lever in a car. Others(Cessnas) may have electric flaps and use a switch.

Here's a pretty good picture of what a Cessna 172 cockpit would look like with a pilot working flight controls and throttle at once, just to get you thinking about what might/might not work.

Cessna-172-Cockpit.jpg
Except.....USAF cadets at the academy are trained sitting in the right seat of the Cirri. Why? because most AF fighters are throttle and such with left hand, joystick with right hand

If you can see the instruments from the right seat, fee free to learn from the right seat.

Just another example of the prejudical attitude in the world, assuming everyone is right handed.
Scissors. Jeans zippers. Cars.

Except.....USAF cadets at the academy are trained sitting in the right seat of the Cirri. Why? because most AF fighters are throttle and such with left hand, joystick with right hand

If you can see the instruments from the right seat, fee free to learn from the right seat.

Just another example of the prejudical attitude in the world, assuming everyone is right handed.
Scissors. Jeans zippers. Cars.
Or learn on a tandem aircraft where the stick is in the middle and the throttle is on the left.

And if you have trouble with zippers, wear women's clothes.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back