new avionics

Tom-D

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
Tom-D
the aircraft is a 1949 C-170-A we are removing the radio stack.

what would you use to replace it.

the 170 never uses the IFR stuff
I suggested the VAL-COM 2000 for the radio.
needed ?
Intercom.
Transponder

ADS-B compliant is a requirement.

Please advise.

Do you need a 4 place intercom?

I've been happy with the GTR 225 and a GTX 335 in my 140A. I wish I'd spent the extra money on the 345 if only to get rid of the portable ADS-B in.

Do you need a 4 place intercom?

I've been happy with the GTR 225 and a GTX 335 in my 140A. I wish I'd spent the extra money on the 345 if only to get rid of the portable ADS-B in.
4 place would be nice but won't be used much.

I've got a VAL2000 in my Citabria. It's been reliable and provides clear signal.

I'm a fan of having a built in intercom and might have gone with the MGL V6 had I known about it.

I didn't and got a screaming deal on the VAL, so here I am. I had to keep my existing intercom.

I went with the Stratus ESGi transponder and a new RS232 ACK encoder since my old Narco wasn't worth trying to keep alive

The SL 30 has a nice little voice activated 2 place intercom built in.

What are you trying to do in this panel? If you want a basic intercom I've got a PS Engineering PM501 you can use for $50+ postage.

The VAL 2000 is a good one. If you don't need NAV look for and SL-40 instead of an SL-30.

Decisions, decisions, decisions.

Count me in as another vote for the PS Engineering PAR200B, I just put one in my 182 and I love it. I'd also include a Nav/Com or Nav radio in the mix of some sorts, since in some parts of the country some people thought it was a good idea to broadcast the AWOS transmission over the VOR on the field instead of doing it right and getting a dedicated transmitter. For ADS-B, I'd go with the Stratus ESG and a Stratus 3i (mine works great).

GTR200 also has a built-in 2-place intercom.

Icom A220, too.

Count me in as another vote for the PS Engineering PAR200B, I just put one in my 182 and I love it. I'd also include a Nav/Com or Nav radio in the mix of some sorts, since in some parts of the country some people thought it was a good idea to broadcast the AWOS transmission over the VOR on the field instead of doing it right and getting a dedicated transmitter. For ADS-B, I'd go with the Stratus ESG and a Stratus 3i (mine works great).

A VOR is a pretty dedicated transmitter. LOL.

Some even monitored that it’s on the air 24/7 unlike the other cheap mobile radio turned way done in power, so it’ll survive the duty cycle without smoking, while hooked to the cheap AWOS box and cheap coax and cheap ground plane antenna on top of the FBO.

Versus a transmitter designed to operate full bore 24/7/365 most Comm frequency AWOS lash ups are true RF engineering trash. :)

Just sayin’. I know what you meant by dedicated but the better engineered radio is the big fat one in the VOR rack with better power, monitoring gear, antenna, you name it.

That some don’t have a proper receiver for said nice fat expensive (snoozing at 100% duty cycle) already available transmitter — is an understandable but new-ish kind of self-induced problem. :)

Those places didn’t choose wrong. They chose the quality transmitter... technically... over installing garbage mobile rigs and burning another comm frequency from the frequency coordination pool in the geographic area.

:) :) :)

“Free” maintenance and repair techs too. Hahah.

Anybody tried the Flightline FL760A (only $716)? Radio w/ intercom. I need a new radio too as my Narco Mk12D is crapping out (checked antenna and removed and cleaned connections) and it would be nice to get rid of our intercom as well in my underpowered C-150F, so either the GTR200 ($1200), Flightline, or the MGL V6.

Get the GTX 345. Big bucks but worth it for the ADS-B In. If you get the 335 like I did, you'll spend all your time resenting what it can't do.

GTR 225 has some nice features that the VAL COMM lacks, such as reverse lookup from airfield designator and standby frequency monitoring. I could be wrong about the VAL features; that is just from a quick skim of the product web page.

I've got a VAL2000 in my Citabria. It's been reliable and provides clear signal.

I'm a fan of having a built in intercom and might have gone with the MGL V6 had I known about it.

I didn't and got a screaming deal on the VAL, so here I am. I had to keep my existing intercom.

I went with the Stratus ESGi transponder and a new RS232 ACK encoder since my old Narco wasn't worth trying to keep alive
Go with the V16 over a V6.

The owner is buying the Val-Com 2000, now to decide which transponder ? Intercoms?

The owner is buying the Val-Com 2000, now to decide which transponder ?
Does the owner want only ADS-B Out (minimum for compliance) or both ADS-B Out and ADS-B In (not necessary for compliance)?

Does the owner want only ADS-B Out (minimum for compliance) or both ADS-B Out and ADS-B In (not necessary for compliance)?
Minimum required

Minimum required
Less cost and labor to get a Garmin 225 or icom 220 with built in intercom. I’ve flown a friends scout with the icom and while the radio was great setting squelch on the intercom was a pain in the butt having to go 1-2 menus deep. If I had to do an intercom on the cheap it would be a ps engineering ps1000, though when I put one in my old c172c it was a 20 hour pain in the butt.

I’ll also add that I upgraded the audio panel in my current 182 to a psengineering 8000bt and the auto squelch is a game changer. I’ve had quite a few radio’s over the years and so long as they have a flip flop I really can’t say any we’re better than others except for panel space, but when I got the new audio panel my life was changed forever. I love not having to mess with squelch all the time. Every time I fly my cub with no electrics and a crappy battery powered intercom I silently wish that psengineering would make a portable intercom with auto squelch.

I Haven’t flown with mgl or Garmin systems with auto squelch, but before putting a com and an intercom in any plane id try to test any of the comms with a built in auto squelching intercom before paying for any new avionics.

jim

Minimum required
Minimum required ADS-B Out compliance would be a uAvionix SkyBeacon or Tailbeacon for $1700-$2000 if the existing transponder is serviceable. Stratus ESG for $3k if the existing transponder is not serviceable.

Tom, the PM1000II with individually adjusted VOX circuits means only the mic that is spoken into will be active. This provides lower noise and no clipping because you can set the trip level for each microphone.

http://www.ps-engineering.com/pm1000.shtml

Hope this is helpful
Mark

The owner is buying the Val-Com 2000, now to decide which transponder ? Intercoms?

Short-sighted owner. The GTR200 is a modern, solid radio with a built-in intercom built by basically the top company in the game. The only serious competitor is the PAR200B. Why anyone even considers a VAL, which is essentially an off-brand radio, that actually costs more (as it needs a separate intercom) in the end is beyond me.

Short-sighted owner.
+1
The GTR200 is a modern, solid radio with a built-in intercom built by basically the top company in the game. The only serious competitor is the PAR200B.
The GTR200 intercom is 2-place. The PAR200B is 4-place. Since this is going into a C170A, I'd actually recommend the PAR200B over the GTR200.

Short-sighted owner. The GTR200 is a modern, solid radio with a built-in intercom built by basically the top company in the game. The only serious competitor is the PAR200B. Why anyone even considers a VAL, which is essentially an off-brand radio, that actually costs more (as it needs a separate intercom) in the end is beyond me.
Space is the primary consideration, 1" tall Val-Com, vs a 2/1/2" Garmin.
plus the intercom is previously installed.

Space is the primary consideration, 1" tall Val-Com, vs a 2/1/2" Garmin.
plus the intercom is previously installed.

I hear you, but the quality difference, IMHO, makes dealing with the height issue well worth it. Plus you get a modern intercom out of it, and eliminate some wiring (intercom to radio) that could, in the future, provide problematic.

If the current transponder and altitude encoder are okay then the Garmin GDL 82 is a great choice for ADS-B out.
The VAL will take a little diagramming out to get it hooked to the intercom. It'll work though

I hear you, but the quality difference, IMHO, makes dealing with the height issue well worth it. Plus you get a modern intercom out of it, and eliminate some wiring (intercom to radio) that could, in the future, provide problematic.
Difficult to see the quality between the two. Several Val-Coms we have in working 170- are clear and well working radios.
but the owner will decide. Not me.

Stratus ESG for around $2200 ... There are legal ways. Can't understand why anyone on a budget would do anything else. I love mine, and it just passed its second .413 today with no issues.

The Garmin GTR200 is 1.35"
Is that included with the rack?
A couple thousands won't matter, but the Garmin is thicker. and we have to squeeze that into a transponder too.

Is that included with the rack?
A couple thousands won't matter, but the Garmin is thicker. and we have to squeeze that into a transponder too.
Bezel height is 1.35". Rack height (dimple to dimple) is 1.375". Depth behind panel is 9.39" including the connector backshells.

Back