Dana

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Dana
In the remarks for Falmouth Airpark (5B6):

"- PROP-LOCKS RQRD FOR ALL ACFT REMAINING OVNGT."

There's gotta be a story behind that...

They're taking cues from the other MassHolePort airports.

In the remarks for Falmouth Airpark (5B6):

"- PROP-LOCKS RQRD FOR ALL ACFT REMAINING OVNGT."

There's gotta be a story behind that...

I'll take a guess. Some airplane got stole somewhere. The airport got drug into it by some @#%E$@^% saying how could you dare let an airplane get stolen at your airport. We want money from you.

I was unaware of prop-locks before now. It appears that a prop-lock would seriously damage your airplane if the thief didn't care or failed to notice it. Would a locking wheel chock on the nose gear be better? Or is there another security device that's more effective?

FYI: I own a Piper Cherokee and I doubt that a yoke strap can be secured properly.

I... Or is there another security device that's more effective?

yup. But try telling that to the geniuses at places like ma$$port.

btw - I've seen an airplane at KBED with a proplock, the loop was simply laid around one of the blades...so, it would look like it had a proplock...unless you looked closely.

A lot of airports have this rule/law, protect us from terrorists and what not. My question is who is going to enforce it and write a ticket?

That was required in places like TEB after 911, and since we didn't have props we had to have a throttle lock with chain.

I would think a throttle lock would be more secure.

ABOVK.jpg

Less likely to be removed with bolt cutters. Then again not as visible as a chain wrapped around the prop blades.

Less likely to be removed with bolt cutters. Then again not as visible as a chain wrapped around the prop blades.

Most of those disk padlocks are pretty easy to pick. About the only thing that makes them rough is that they're so stiff in their operation that its hard to tension them.

heck, how long would it take to remove the spinner, cut the safety wire, remove the prop bolts, slide the prop lock off, reinsall the prop bolts and go?

(a thief might not care about the safety wire and the spinner isn't required... at least on my cherokee it wasn't)

Most of those disk padlocks are pretty easy to pick. About the only thing that makes them rough is that they're so stiff in their operation that its hard to tension them.
But not much worse than the government used to require for safes with classified material...

heck, how long would it take to remove the spinner, cut the safety wire, remove the prop bolts, slide the prop lock off, reinsall the prop bolts and go?

(a thief might not care about the safety wire and the spinner isn't required... at least on my cherokee it wasn't)
Now YOU get to have Bryan fly you to your TSA meeting! ;)

Betcha they will be happy to rent you one to you do not happen to have one with you. For a "small" fee, of course.

Last edited:
Betcha they will be happy to rent you one of you do not happen to have one with you. For a "small" fee, of course.

KBED FBOs will (at least used to, it's been a while for me...)

Well, since I just started using a disk padlock yesterday at a self storage, what's the proper alternative? (I'm not fooling myself, I just want to be the least attractive option to a determined thief).

ABUS makes some nice locks. Stay away from the Master brand. Of course, it's kind of a zero sum game. That hasp on your storage locker probably can be defeated with a hammer or a big screw driver.

Even better at the same airport:

NO TSNT STUDENT ACTS, SOLO OR DUAL AT FALMOUTH AIRPARK.

Looks like a bunch of aviation NIMBY's.

Build an airstrip, but don't want anyone else using it. Just close it to the public, Massholes.

That’s a almost normal restriction at most privately owned air parks that allow public access. When the runway is lined with houses and those homeowners pay for the costs of having a runway you generally don’t want training activities for many reasons. Many air parks ban non resident aircraft completely without prior permission.

That’s a almost normal restriction at most privately owned air parks that allow public access. When the runway is lined with houses and those homeowners pay for the costs of having a runway you generally don’t want training activities for many reasons. Many air parks ban non resident aircraft completely without prior permission.

So what's the point of making it a public airport then? Just keep it private, and if you're flying in to visit a resident, they are going to give you permission anyway. I don't have an issue with the latter. I do have an issue with public use and then saying, well, student/tailwheel/ethnic/gay pilots aren't allowed (class B excepted for students for obvious reasons).

But wouldn't accepting federal funds preclude them from saying "you can't bring a student here," even when dual?

Plus I don't think they qualify for the AIP anyway.

Eligibility:
  • Publicly owned, or
  • Privately owned but designated by FAA as a reliever, or
  • Privately owned but having scheduled service and at least 2,500 annual enplanements.

So what's the point of making it a public airport then? Just keep it private, and if you're flying in to visit a resident, they are going to give you permission anyway. I don't have an issue with the latter. I do have an issue with public use and then saying, well, student/tailwheel/ethnic/gay pilots aren't allowed (class B excepted for students for obvious reasons).

To EdFred's point, from a tax payer perspective private airports that sign up for federal funds on the basis of allowing public access should allow access for the "public", not "some of the public", again with the obvious exception EdFred listed.

And I agree that an airpark probably isn't going to fit into the integrated plan.

1/5/02 Never Forget! Prop locks could have prevented this from happening, well, would have, except the pilot had the keys.

Last edited:
A year ago June a late model 172SP was stolen off the ramp from KWVI Watsonville, Ca. Taken off the transient ramp middle of the night. Plane's never been found. Locals betting she's in Latin America somewhere. It supposedly had ADS-B, and that was disabled immediately.

Here's a link to the FAA report and local news: https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/226667

Local news: https://www.kion546.com/news/2019/06/29/plane-stolen-from-watsonville-municipal-airport/

It was from an FBO/flight school at the southwest end of the airport. The last radar return was a few miles offshore and heading west. The most likely suspect is a pilot who was a member of the flying club based at the FBO, and was reported missing by his family the same day. He was also on probation for writing opiod prescriptions without medical justification (he was a physician assistant). Very well could have been despondent over likely losing his career, and flying privileges when his medical was due for renewal.

It was from an FBO/flight school at the southwest end of the airport. The last radar return was a few miles offshore and heading west. The most likely suspect is a pilot who was a member of the flying club based at the FBO, and was reported missing by his family the same day. He was also on probation for writing opiod prescriptions without medical justification (he was a physician assistant). Very well could have been despondent over likely losing his career, and flying privileges when his medical was due for renewal.

Interesting background. Thanks for sharing.

Similar event while I was flight training at KPAO Palo Alto. Flight instructor took a nearly new G1000 172SP and just flew West, literally and figuratively.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-in-stolen-plane-police-say-then-he-vanished/

https://www.aopa.org/asf//ntsb/narrative.cfm?ackey=1&evid=20150527X15318

Last heading on radar was 220 degrees until he flew out of range.

Last edited:
I would venture to guess someone stole a plane, probably a suicidal person, and his or her family pulled the airport into a lawsuit asserting weak security. You know, how dare you let my son kill himself!!! So, this is the airport's response. Sad, but that's the state of litigious America.

I do have an issue with public use and then saying, well, student/tailwheel/ethnic/gay pilots aren't allowed (class B excepted for students for obvious reasons).
In my banner towing days we would sometimes sell one-off tows (happy birthdays, will you marry me? etc) in remote locations where banner towing was not common. At that point I would have to get the map out and find a nearby airport to do the tow from. We would always call and ask. On rare occasions the response would be yeah no problem just come on in and do what you need to do. Banner towing is a perfectly legal part 91 operation but more often than not it took an act of congress, special dispensation from the pope and the promise of sexual favors to get airport managers to allow me to drive two hunks of PVC pipe into the grass next to the runway for a few hours and lay out a banner for pickup.

Public use means the public has access, period. It does not mean the public has access to come in and do whatever they want. Take a hibachi into an art museum so you can grill some burgers while you look at the paintings and see how it works out for you.

Back