Prop Locks?

StinkBug

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Dallas
In doing some research and looking at various locations for a trip I'm planning I've run across several airports requiring prop locks for planes left overnight. What is the purpose of this? I get that it would deter theft of an aircraft, but that should be more of a worry for the owner than the airport.

Also is there some standard for these locks, or can you just use any chain/cable/etc. wrapped around and locked to the prop? Seems like the ones sold by aircraft spruce and others aren't much different from some bike locks, but cost $200+. Being a metal fabricator I could easily make something just as effective for under $20, including a padlock.

I'd think that you'd want to protect against any dings so everything wrapped/padded. It looks to me like the Sporty's version may not be totally wrapped. Anyway, I would not risk damage to my prop/spinner/cowl just 'cause some airport thinks I should. I would be happy to put a lock on a tie-down chain.

I'm with you, I'd rather not use anything but "- Prop-locks required for all aircraft remaining overnight." says that they require it to me. I'm just trying to figure out why?

I'm with you, I'd rather not use anything but "- Prop-locks required for all aircraft remaining overnight." says that they require it to me. I'm just trying to figure out why?

Why?
Well, it's because of security at certain airports after 911.Teterboro being one of them that I know of.
Here's a security briefing for Teterboro which specifically mentions the locks.
http://www.airportflightcrewbriefing.com/teterboro/

KBED requires prop locks and if you come without one ,they rent you one. Has to do with security.

They are worried about an other January 5, 2002 style attack on a high rise.

You do remember that one, right?

Has to do with the illusion of security. Those Kriptonite bike locks that BED uses won't slow down someone with a clue. And frnakly, since only three airports in the entire state of Massachusetts has the rediculous rule, they're not going to be much of a deterrent anyhow.

I suspect the airports in question are required to have a security plan in place and that prop locks are an affordable means of compliance. But that's just a guess. Whether it's fences, security gates, prop locks... Pilots will *****. That's the only constant in aviation.

It's because they're afraid of airplanes get stolen there. Yeah, you're going to sleep well that night now. It doesn't take much knowledge to know the right wire to cut in order to break the mag short circuit. The toughest part is getting the cowling off and back on quickly.

You put a prop lock on an airplane and it prevents the prop from turning or from being balanced when it does. Many prop locks are basically high strength bicycle chains wrapped around the prop, but like bicycle chains, they can be cut with the right bolt cutters.

You don't even have to cut the darn chain on the BED locks. Those locks use the tubular lock mechanism which is pathetically easy to pick without even specialized tools.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LahDQ2ZQ3e0

There's just no lock you're going to put on a bikelock or an airplane that is going to slow someone down whose willing to spend 30 minutes on google learning how to defeat things.

Nearly every plane that has been "stolen" has been done by someone with access to the keys.

So how many planes get stolen each year? No locks on my plane and have not removed key from the ignition in years.

I purchased a chain and lock typically used for motorcycles. It's effectively bolt-cutter proof, but not angle grinder proof. That being said, it would require them to make a lot of noise (and sparks) to get through.

I used this in Mexico.

f7ea435d03cb421978b22d24791e187c.jpg

I would not risk damage to my prop/spinner/cowl just 'cause some airport thinks I should.

A) It's their property. Don't like it, don't land there.

B ) It's the law in some places. You won't be allowed to leave your plane unattended at the DC airports without one (i.e. College Park etc.). They'll rent you one for pretty cheap if you don't have one.

So how many planes get stolen each year? No locks on my plane and have not removed key from the ignition in years.

Recent statistics were surprisingly hard to find, but in 1980 there were 241 stolen planes, and 107 in 1986 and 39 in 1990.

I would wager that avionics and personal articles theft is far more likely than someone taking your whole plane, but certainly it does happen, especially in the southwest.

Dunno where you fly in Alaska, but it may be a much different feel than leaving your plane on a transient ramp in much of the lower 48.

The first place I found this requirement is a tiny airpark with grass taxiways, in one of the most expensive areas of the east coast. Not exactly a ghetto. I just found it odd that they would require locks, when none of the surrounding bigger airports did.

Sounds like there is no specific requirement for these though, so I'm free to use whatever type of lock I prefer?

There is a TSA recommendation document addressing GA airport security. It came out maybe 10 or 12 years ago and compliance was not mandatory. IIRC, it contained a recommendation that aircraft be secured by two locks without specifying any specific type of lock. There is now a new or revised document that I haven't checked out yet.

In doing some research and looking at various locations for a trip I'm planning I've run across several airports requiring prop locks for planes left overnight. What is the purpose of this? I get that it would deter theft of an aircraft, but that should be more of a worry for the owner than the airport.

Also is there some standard for these locks, or can you just use any chain/cable/etc. wrapped around and locked to the prop? Seems like the ones sold by aircraft spruce and others aren't much different from some bike locks, but cost $200+. Being a metal fabricator I could easily make something just as effective for under $20, including a padlock.

Any airport that REQUIRES a prop lock, I'll just avoid....

If the place is that much of a haven for thieves, yeah your plane might still be there, your avionics, seats, engine, etc not so much.

KBED requires prop locks and if you come without one ,they rent you one. Has to do with security.

No, has to do with liability. And they have none. I have insurance. And a middle finger that still works.

At KBED, one aircraft had a proplock on the airplane. The lock was configured as a single loop, hung over one blade. :) If any one had looked at it, they'd realize you just slide it off the prop. Of course, it provided just as much security as one "properly" (no pun) installed.

The people who came up with the rule to have a prop lock and/or chain/padlock to a tie-down are idiots. The people who keep using the rule as also idiots.

We have a hidden second master switch on our planes. It has to be turned on first....if you can find it. There are no keys for our planes, except for the door lock

I would prefer a throttle lock instead of a prop lock.

We have a hidden second master switch on our planes. It has to be turned on first....if you can find it. There are no keys for our planes, except for the door lock

I would prefer a throttle lock instead of a prop lock.

The DC3 require two locks. If you're in a hangar and you lock your plane, that's good enough (this I chuckle about because the MASTER padlock on my hangar is way more than anything you'll find on the aircraft itself). If you're outside, you need the proplock but I think they'll allow a throttle lock too.

I'm hazy as while I was based at VKX on 9/11 shortly after evacuating from there 5 weeks after 9/11, my plane ended up going into restoration for 4 years and I found a hangar elsewhere in the interim. I've used my magic cookie once to get a BFR in one of the FBO's planes there.

Back