New Ford Bronco

denverpilot

Tied Down
Display Name

Display name:
DenverPilot
Okay nobody started the thread yet so it had to be done.

Think looks to me like an FJ Cruiser with the wrong size tires on it and a terrible grill.

Fire at will...

But only if it is painted white. Otherwise...

Reminds me of an old name for old what's his name from Denver - a slow white Bronco. :p

LOL we call him that here, too. He is seriously messed up from playing. Doesn’t walk right at all anymore.

Sure, if you wanted a blazer to be a poor man's Nissan Murano. The blazer namesake at least had some offroad capability, the new one pretty much abandoned that idea.
You nailed it here. Ford changed the paradigm for these with this new Bronco to be actually about an off road machine (like the Jeeps) instead of a unibody car with a "tough" nameplate.

GM will have to decide if they want it as well, or if they want to stick with the market they're in.

Sure, if you wanted a blazer to be a poor man's Nissan Murano. The blazer namesake at least had some offroad capability, the new one pretty much abandoned that idea.

IMHO, they ruined any remaining good will from the Blazer brand, and to what, try to sell cheap CUVs? Dumb.

I'm a big GM fan, but they screwed up the Blazer name many years ago! They seem to have a habit of doing this. See also... Nova, GTO, Monte Carlo... I'm sure I could go on and on!
latest

C5809-0062.jpg

18whpfqmr1fvijpg.jpg

01montecarlo1.jpg

".... off road machine (like the Jeeps) instead of a unibody car with a "tough" nameplate."

That's why I am keeping my body-on-frame Xterra - more than capable.

Chevy has the Colorado ZR-2 for those seeking true off-road ability. If GM were to develop an off-road SUV, they should just do a body-on-frame version of the ZR-2.

Chevy has the Colorado ZR-2 for those seeking true off-road ability. If GM were to develop an off-road SUV, they should just do a body-on-frame version of the ZR-2.

Did they ever get the timing chain stuff sorted on the Colorado?

Great looking truck, repeat of the Ford timing garbage on the Triton. Ugh.

Great looking truck, repeat of the Ford timing garbage on the Triton. Ugh.

I had two Ford Lariat F-150s with 5.4L Triton engines. Never had any issue. Ran one to 170,000+ miles and the other to 187,000+ miles. I was unaware there even was one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did they ever get the timing chain stuff sorted on the Colorado?

I follow Colorado maintenance issues closely, since I have '19 Colorado diesel. I haven't heard of any timing chain issues on the Colorado, except maybe a few on some of the first 3.6L models years ago. Only real issue on the Colorado was with the 8-speed trans in the 3.6L having issues, but it was traced to the wrong fluid being put in at the factory, and that issue seems to have gone away with a good flush and fluid replacement.

Only issue I've had on mine was a minor emissions system software glitch that was easily fixed with an ECM reprogramming.

I had two Ford Lariat F-150s with 5.4L Triton engines. Never had any issue. Ran one to 170,000+ miles and the other to 187,000+ miles. I was unaware there even was one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Search Triton Cam Phasers. Ours went around 150K I think. Then when you have the whole front off you find the chain guides and such are worn out, so you just replace. Also the phaser thing can stretch the chain.

Common enough that Ford sells the phasers and all the timing stuff as a single SKU according to our NAPA guy, which saves a (very) few bucks.

At almost 200K on it now. I have a YT video of what it sounds like at idle when the phasers crap out and then the chain starts banging around if you want. Weird ass sound.

You nailed it here. Ford changed the paradigm for these with this new Bronco to be actually about an off road machine (like the Jeeps) instead of a unibody car with a "tough" nameplate.

I believe, but I didnt stay at a Holiday Inn last night, is the Bronco Sport is basically an Escape with a different shell on it. The full size Bronco is the real off road one to get.

I believe, but I didnt stay at a Holiday Inn last night, is the Bronco Sport is basically an Escape with a different shell on it. The full size Bronco is the real off road one to get.
Good observation. I ignored the sport because it's clearly a toy CUV and focused my mindshare on the "real" bronco

The full size Bronco is the real off road one to get.

Narrow-track trucks/SUVs have a lot going for them on many trails. Unless you need the wide stance for desert racing, being 6-8 inches narrower than a full size really helps on a lot of trails (and reduces door scratches).

I'm a big GM fan, but they screwed up the Blazer name many years ago! They seem to have a habit of doing this. See also... Nova, GTO, Monte Carlo... I'm sure I could go on and on!
latest

C5809-0062.jpg

18whpfqmr1fvijpg.jpg

01montecarlo1.jpg
No disagreement there, but you'd think they'd learn their lesson eventually. The Pontiac LeMans from the late 80's may have been one of the worst affronts they ever had, lol. At least the GTO had a decent interior and powertrain, despite the lackluster Holden Monaro exterior.

I'd be surprised if any of the GM vehicle design folks have a job these days aside from the Corvette group. The Chevrolet segment has made a ton of hideous stuff (HDs, Silverado, new Tahoe, Blazer, Camero several times) over the past few years.

I'd be surprised if any of the GM vehicle design folks have a job these days aside from the Corvette group. The Chevrolet segment has made a ton of hideous stuff (HDs, Silverado, new Tahoe, Blazer, Camero several times) over the past few years.
I've always been a Chevy guy... just bought a GMC Sierra because I couldn't get used to the front ends of the Chevys.

I've always been a Chevy guy... just bought a GMC Sierra because I couldn't get used to the front ends of the Chevys.
Or it may have been their plan all along to make their trucks and SUVs so ugly that people would jump over to GMC and pay more for "professional grade" lol.

Or it may have been their plan all along to make their trucks and SUVs so ugly that people would jump over to GMC and pay more for "professional grade" lol.

I remember the '70s and 80s when the Chevy pickup held resale value better than the equally equipped GMC pickup. Now it is the opposite.

Good observation. I ignored the sport because it's clearly a toy CUV and focused my mindshare on the "real" bronco

Well now we’re out. Sure enough, Escape platform, automatic transmission only, all wheel drive. Bleh.

Damn it Ford, how’d you screw that up?!

Well now we’re out. Sure enough, Escape platform, automatic transmission only, all wheel drive. Bleh.

Damn it Ford, how’d you screw that up?!

Ted, there are TWO Broncos. The bigger Bronco, or just Bronco, is body on frame, based on the next gen Ranger bones. That is the real deal and the one we want.

At the same time, Ford is introducing the Bronco Sport, smaller than the Bronco, based on the Escape platform, and is nothing but the Escape CUV dressed in hiking boots. It's the one we DON'T WANT. I think it's in poor form to sell two completely different platforms with similar names, but hey, look at the new Mustang Mach E electric CUV. Has nothing to do with a Mustang other than the name. Gotta love marketing wanks.

Same with the Broncos, two totally different vehicles.

Ford Bronco:

https%3A%2F%2Fapi.thedrive.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2020%2F07%2FBronco_2dr_features_02-1.jpg%3Fquality%3D85

Ford Bronco Sport:

2021-ford-bronco-sport-194-1594667925.jpg

Thanks for the clarification @Bill Jennings . Although I checked Ford’s website and the 4-door is only available with the automatic. :(

Thanks for the clarification @Bill Jennings . Although I checked Ford’s website and the 4-door is only available with the automatic. :(

Yes, the options and packages are not ideal. I wouldn't mind the 2-door, as by the time I buy this, girl will be off at college, and when she's home the Fusion will still be at home. My only wish was that the 2-door came with a soft top, only the 4-door has an available soft top. I mean, I can deal with the hard top, but it makes going topless more of a pain in the rear.

I don't think this is true. The Bronco (not sport) comes with two or four door and two engine choices; the 2.3L 4 cylinder (manual available) and the 2.7L 6 cylinder (automatic only). Certain trims may not have the 4 cylinder, but you should be able to get a 4 door, 4 cylinder with the manual in some of them.

I haven't even bothered to look at the Bronco Sport.

I don't think this is true. The Bronco (not sport) comes with two or four door and two engine choices; the 2.3L 4 cylinder (manual available) and the 2.7L 6 cylinder (automatic only). Certain trims may not have the 4 cylinder, but you should be able to get a 4 door, 4 cylinder with the manual in some of them.

I haven't even bothered to look at the Bronco Sport.

Well, that's what I saw at Ford's website, at least for the base model. I didn't go through all the different models, and we're not buying one first thing anyway. So I guess I'll hold off joy or despair a while longer. :)

Back