installing a heated pitot

DKirkpatrick

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
DKirkpatrick
looking at an upgrade on a 172G... has wire in the wing for a heated pitot, but it was never installed from the factory.
Would this be a big expense to install?
Guesstimates appreciated.
THANKS

So it already has the wire for the heater circuit, the breaker and panel switch? If so, most of the cost will be parts. I’d guess 4-6hrs labor and $1000 to $1500 in parts.

Thanks Ryan. That helps alot.
dan

do you have to rivet in a sleeve inside the wing for this to slide into? thank you

do you have to rivet in a sleeve inside the wing for this to slide into?
It's called a connector assembly. Have your mechanic verify you have all the other provisions installed before you buy any parts. Below is a link to a Cessna kit doc that will give you an idea what's needed. Just ignore the stall warn side. Some S/N aircraft are slightly different. An IPC will give a more specific parts list. Most of these parts can be picked used at a good rate. The last 12v heated tube I bought went for around $300.
https://support.cessna.com/custsupt/contacts/pubs/ourpdf.pdf?as_id=33365

Wow. Great information. THANKS for your help.
dan

Do you have to have it, if your plane came without it do you want to spend a lot of money to put one on or spend it on something else you might need. Their are a lot of other things to worry about, pitot freeze up is low on my list.

Do you have to have it, if your plane came without it do you want to spend a lot of money to put one on or spend it on something else you might need. Their are a lot of other things to worry about, pitot freeze up is low on my list.
Yeah, if you are in a situation where that is an issue, the wings are likely a bigger issue. Not to mention that heated pitots really, really suck the juice.

Back