Preservation of uninstalled parts.

All the angst in this thread over this, but you won’t bother to pull a cylinder to verify. Makes sense. :confused:
Would take the liability ?

I have been over this 5 times. Show me where in 65.87 where it give you the ability to rebuild anything?
If you can't figure it out, it is your responsibility, 43.2 is pretty simple.

It is what it doesn't say that count, it does say >
65.87 Powerplant rating; additional privileges.
(a) Except as provided in paragraph (b) of this section, a certificated mechanic with a powerplant rating may approve and return to service a powerplant or propeller or any related part or appliance, after he has performed, supervised, or inspected its maintenance or alteration (excluding major repairs and major alterations). In addition, he may perform the 100-hour inspection required by part 91 of this chapter on a powerplant or propeller, or any part thereof, and approve and return it to service.

You were the one worried about it in the first place, now you abdicate.
I'M not a worried about a damm thing, Specially about what you think.

If you can't figure it out, it is your responsibility, 43.2 is pretty simple.

It is what it doesn't say that count, it does say >
(a) Except as provided in paragraph (b) of this section, a certificated mechanic with a powerplant rating may approve and return to service a powerplant or propeller or any related part or appliance, after he has performed, supervised, or inspected its maintenance or alteration (excluding major repairs and major alterations). In addition, he may perform t&Phe 100-hour inspection required by part 91 of this chapter on a powerplant or propeller, or any part thereof, and approve and return it to service.

first off what it doesn't say has no meaning in law.

§ 43.2 Records of overhaul and rebuilding.

not part of what you can as an A&P:

(a) Except as provided in paragraph (b) of this section, a certificated mechanic with a powerplant rating may approve and return to service a powerplant or propeller or any related part or appliance, after he has performed, supervised, or inspected its maintenance or alteration (excluding major repairs and major alterations). In addition, he may perform the 100-hour inspection required by part 91 of this chapter on a powerplant or propeller, or any part thereof, and approve and return it to service

§1.1 General definitions.
Maintenance means inspection, overhaul, repair, preservation, and the replacement of parts, but excludes preventive maintenance.

still able to read so far??
where in the above does it day you may rebuild, or that maintenance includes rebuild?

the only place the FAA uses the words rebuild is in

§43.3 Persons authorized to perform maintenance, preventive maintenance, rebuilding, and alterations.
(a) Except as provided in this section and §43.17, no person may maintain, rebuild, alter, or perform preventive maintenance on an aircraft, airframe, aircraft engine, propeller, appliance, or component part to which this part applies. Those items, the performance of which is a major alteration, a major repair, or preventive maintenance, are listed in appendix A.

(b) The holder of a mechanic certificate may perform maintenance, preventive maintenance, and alterations as provided in Part 65 of this chapter. rebuild is not here is it

(c) The holder of a repairman certificate may perform maintenance, preventive maintenance, and alterations as provided in part 65 of this chapter.

(d) A person working under the supervision of a holder of a mechanic or repairman certificate may perform the maintenance, preventive maintenance, and alterations that his supervisor is authorized to perform, if the supervisor personally observes the work being done to the extent necessary to ensure that it is being done properly and if the supervisor is readily available, in person, for consultation. However, this paragraph does not authorize the performance of any inspection required by Part 91 or Part 125 of this chapter or any inspection performed after a major repair or alteration.

(e) The holder of a repair station certificate may perform maintenance, preventive maintenance, and alterations as provided in Part 145 of this chapter.

(f) The holder of an air carrier operating certificate or an operating certificate issued under Part 121 or 135, may perform maintenance, preventive maintenance, and alterations as provided in Part 121 or 135.

(g) Except for holders of a sport pilot certificate, the holder of a pilot certificate issued under part 61 may perform preventive maintenance on any aircraft owned or operated by that pilot which is not used under part 121, 129, or 135 of this chapter. The holder of a sport pilot certificate may perform preventive maintenance on an aircraft owned or operated by that pilot and issued a special airworthiness certificate in the light-sport category.

(h) Notwithstanding the provisions of paragraph (g) of this section, the Administrator may approve a certificate holder under Part 135 of this chapter, operating rotorcraft in a remote area, to allow a pilot to perform specific preventive maintenance items provided—

(1) The items of preventive maintenance are a result of a known or suspected mechanical difficulty or malfunction that occurred en route to or in a remote area;

(2) The pilot has satisfactorily completed an approved training program and is authorized in writing by the certificate holder for each item of preventive maintenance that the pilot is authorized to perform;

(3) There is no certificated mechanic available to perform preventive maintenance;

(4) The certificate holder has procedures to evaluate the accomplishment of a preventive maintenance item that requires a decision concerning the airworthiness of the rotorcraft; and

(5) The items of preventive maintenance authorized by this section are those listed in paragraph (c) of appendix A of this part.

(i) Notwithstanding the provisions of paragraph (g) of this section, in accordance with an approval issued to the holder of a certificate issued under part 135 of this chapter, a pilot of an aircraft type-certificated for 9 or fewer passenger seats, excluding any pilot seat, may perform the removal and reinstallation of approved aircraft cabin seats, approved cabin-mounted stretchers, and when no tools are required, approved cabin-mounted medical oxygen bottles, provided—

(1) The pilot has satisfactorily completed an approved training program and is authorized in writing by the certificate holder to perform each task; and

(2) The certificate holder has written procedures available to the pilot to evaluate the accomplishment of the task.

(j) A manufacturer may—

(1) Rebuild or alter any aircraft, aircraft engine, propeller, or appliance manufactured by him under a type or production certificate;

(2) Rebuild
or alter any appliance or part of aircraft, aircraft engines, propellers, or appliances manufactured by him under a Technical Standard Order Authorization, an FAA-Parts Manufacturer Approval, or Product and Process Specification issued by the Administrator; and

could it be any more clear, you as an A&P do not have authorization to rebuild anything. it is spelled out clearly in the fars. you have the right to overhaul things but not REBUILD. show me otherwise and 43.2 does not give you authorization to do anything, it just say how it must be recorded as the title of the section states
§43.2 Records of overhaul and rebuilding.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen the term “rebuild” in a logbook. Lots of TSMOH entries but have never seen a TSR listing.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen the term “rebuild” in a logbook.
FWIW: Unless you buy a rebuilt engine with a new zero-time log book you may never see that write up. And even then if the actual rebuilt/rebuild was done by a CRS it may not even use the word "rebuilt" in the logbook but only on the CRS work order as the engine is considered TSN:-0-.

Would take the liability ?

I sure wouldn't take the liability of some engine (didn't see the make or model mentioned) that has sit for xx amount of time ( didn't see the length of time mentioned) and that was inspected and assembled by someone (also not mentioned).

I'd take the liability of pulling cylinders to thoroughly inspect an engine that has sat versus the liability of not.

Who is supposed to be certifying the engine at the end of the day? I am betting there is way more to this than what has been disclosed.

Different strokes for different folks. Good luck.
:)

FWIW: Unless you buy a rebuilt engine with a new zero-time log book you may never see that write up. And even then if the actual rebuilt/rebuild was done by a CRS it may not even use the word "rebuilt" in the logbook but only on the CRS work order as the engine is considered TSN:-0-.
most of the manufactures don't use the term.
because the advertiser's legal beagles won't allow it.

Last edited:
§1.1 General definitions.
Maintenance means inspection, overhaul, repair, preservation, and the replacement of parts, but excludes preventive maintenance. .

You don't know the difference, ?
This is the problem.

most of the manufactures don't use the term. because the advertiser's legal beagles won't allow it.
I guess you better remind Continental to not use the term rebuilt before those legal beagles see it....:eek:

"We receive calls daily asking about our Factory-New and Factory-Rebuilt engines as well as the difference between a Rebuilt Engine and an Overhauled Engine."
http://www.continental.aero/CBYO/

C'mon you guys...enough **** has been splattered against the wall.

Back