COVID Picnics - Western Area Suggestions?

VWGhiaBob

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
VWGhiaBob
Hey POA gang...my friends and I have taken to flying our 3 planes to various airports with our spouses to have picnics where we maintain our distance and wear masks. For example, we’ve done KSBA Santa Barbara (the week before the beach closed) and last week KIZA Santa Ynez (which was spectacular). We are looking for other ideas...airports that have a nice place to eat, ideally picnic benches, but at least good places to sit and eat with some good scenery.

We are thinking Kern and Mammoth next, but are running out of ideas.

Anyone have recommendations?

Suggestions appreciated!

(Note: KAVX Avalon is closed...would be a great place).

E36 Georgetown. Sierra foothills, also a campground on the field. Beautiful.

I flew to Oceano, grabbed some BBQ at the Rock and Roll diner then ate it on the beach a few days ago. Nice evening. The beach is closed to vehicles but still open to foot traffic.

I flew to Oceano, grabbed some BBQ at the Rock and Roll diner then ate it on the beach a few days ago. Nice evening. The beach is closed to vehicles but still open to foot traffic.
Good suggestion...love Oceano. Unfortunately, the runway is below the 2,500' minimum in the POH for Cirrus SR22. I used to love to go there in a 182.

... and last week KIZA Santa Ynez (which was spectacular).
Where did you buy/eat at Santa Ynez? Was SY Kitchen open?
Suggestion: If you walk 1/2 mile into town from Santa Paula (SZP) Rabalais Bistro is open for takeout (different operating hours so check/call before you go,) there are picnic tables at the airport.

Bishop is pretty. Kern supposedly has very cheap fuel right now. AVX is rumored to be opening sooner. Big Bear is always pretty. Santa Paula is pretty and cool airport to walk around. Have picnic benches by the office.

I used to live in the Central Valley, our spots were, kern, oceano, inyokern(brewery), Lancaster, San Luis, Paso Robles, Harris ranch, etc.. I vote for bishop too, not much there but scenery and wide open spaces

Suggestion: If you walk 1/2 mile into town from Santa Paula (SZP) Rabalais Bistro is open for takeout (different operating hours so check/call before you go,) there are picnic tables at the airport.
We bring our own during COVID, so we had Subway sandwiches from Pacoima (near KWHP) on some nice picnic tables at KIZA.

Bishop is pretty. Kern supposedly has very cheap fuel right now. AVX is rumored to be opening sooner. Big Bear is always pretty. Santa Paula is pretty and cool airport to walk around. Have picnic benches by the office.
Kern Valley doesn't have fuel. As far as cheap fuel goes, perhaps you are thinking about Inyokern. This weekend they were selling AvGas for $1.19/gal!!!!! I filled up my plane for 39 bucks!!

Yes, Bishop is great.

Kern Valley doesn't have fuel. As far as cheap fuel goes, perhaps you are thinking about Inyokern. This weekend they were selling AvGas for $1.19/gal!!!!! I filled up my plane for 39 bucks!!

Yes, probably. I was repeating what someone else had said on another thread. My bad.

We bring our own during COVID, so we had Subway sandwiches from Pacoima (near KWHP) on some nice picnic tables at KIZA.
Thanks Bob, we also fly out of WHP. Anniversary in a couple weeks, was hoping to find something a little nicer than Subway for a picnic. Then again how high could her standards be if she married... ~

When I first read the title I thought this was about people flying somewhere to have a picnic and catch Covid-19 from an infected individual

Back