Owner produced parts (avionics)

stevensun

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Stevensun
If the needle of my EGT gauge just fall off. Can I produce a replacement? Get my arduino and couple modules, write couple lines of code and call it good? (Ohoh, I'll put a fuse in so it doesn't burn down my airplane.) If it doesn't work, then I get nothing to lose. Not like I produce some mechanical parts for my landing gear and if that breaks.....

Are you talking about a flight school plane or a personal plane?

If it's a standard category aircraft, you can't do this. The "owner produced" only gets you around the need for the part to be manufactured by an approved source, not that you can stick in a design of your own. The provision allows you to produce your own copy of something that is already approved. For instance, if you need some structural doodad for the plane and you have the specs for it, you can go to a machine shop and have it made. Building up an electronic part that was never in your plane to begin with isn't covered.

IMO, if the EGT was part of the original Type Certificate, IE every model of your aircraft has one. Then No, you will likely need STC to replace the OEM EGT. If it is optional equipment do whatever you want you just need to get your mechanic to approve the installation which is probably the challenging part. Many won't do it, even though they can't quote a specific reason why you can't. Start off with building a G-meter for example. There is no such thing as an approved G-meter, yet there are many installed in aircraft. How about installing a CD-player or CB-Radio? Does it matter if you built it or bought it?

If the needle of my EGT gauge just fall off. Can I produce a replacement? Get my arduino and couple modules, write couple lines of code and call it good? (Ohoh, I'll put a fuse in so it doesn't burn down my airplane.) If it doesn't work, then I get nothing to lose. Not like I produce some mechanical parts for my landing gear and if that breaks.....

You have a Cessna 150, right? Just have your A&P disconnect the wire, label it INOP and log it. People have flown 150s for 60+ years without EGT gauges.

Can I produce a replacement?
If talking about the indicator then no. Since it's not part of the 91.205 required equipment, the easiest route is to check your aircraft equipment list to see if it's a required item and if not follow 91.213(d). Then start looking for a used one and change at your next annual.

I'm going to say that it would not take an STC to replace an EGT whether it is required or not. An EGT change doesn't rise to the level of a major modification. You do however have to buy an approved manufacture part and have one that is legitimately installable in your aircraft.

Are you talking about a flight school plane or a personal plane?
A plane that I own. Any different from flight school and personal? I didn’t know owner produced parts has a limitation to different kinds of operations. If you are talking about liability, then I guess that makes more sense

I didn’t know owner produced parts has a limitation to different kinds of operations.
Not type operation but who the owner is. For the Flight School it would be their call on producing the part and on your aircraft it's your call. Same for Delta, etc. For example, if you look at the P/N on some decals or briefing cards in a Delta aircraft it will start with a "DL" signifying a Delta owner-produced part vs a store bought one.

Not type operation but who the owner is. For the Flight School it would be their call on producing the part and on your aircraft it's your call. Same for Delta, etc. For example, if you look at the P/N on some decals or briefing cards in a Delta aircraft it will start with a "DL" signifying a Delta owner-produced part vs a store bought one.
Uh i don’t think anyone would care if they rented one from flight school and the EGT breaks. But if one is mechanic for flight school, then I guess flight school (operator or owner) can ask mechanic to product the owner produced parts.

then I guess flight school (operator or owner) can ask mechanic to product the owner produced parts.
FYI: beyond just asking someone to produce the part, the owner must still be involved in the process in order for it to qualify under Part 21 in one of the following:

1. provide the manufacturer with the design or performance data from which to make the part, or

2. provide the manufacturer with the materials to make the part or,

3. provide the manufacturer with fabrication processes or assembly methods to make the part or,

4. provide the quality control procedures to make the part or’

5. personally supervised the manufacturer of the part.

FYI: beyond just asking someone to produce the part, the owner must still be involved in the process in order for it to qualify under Part 21 in one of the following:

1. provide the manufacturer with the design or performance data from which to make the part, or

2. provide the manufacturer with the materials to make the part or,

3. provide the manufacturer with fabrication processes or assembly methods to make the part or,

4. provide the quality control procedures to make the part or’

5. personally supervised the manufacturer of the part.
Yeah I am sure 5. Is real easy to do

Back