Multiple written exams in one day

Cody Matsler

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
cm2020
Hi, if this has already been addressed, please point me to appropriate thread. I am planning to take instrument written exams (Instrument airplane, instrument ground instructor and instrument flight instructor - airplane). With the new system there seems to be some issue with scheduling multiple exams in one day, was wondering if anyone has experienced this or has successfully taken multiple exams in one day with the new testing system?

Thanks,

Cody

It's probably something that no one thought anyone would do and wasn't built into the system.

+1 to what @WDD just said.

Somewhere in all of this new way there has to be a customer help line. Call them and ask the question.

Then come back here and share what you found out.

It's probably something that no one thought anyone would do and wasn't built into the system.

So far, I have been told by the PSI call center that "the FAA does not allow you to take more than one exam per day" and "the system will not allow you to take tests back to back because they are overlapping". They were not able to substantiate the claim of the FAA limitation. If there is one, would be glad to hear about it.

As it stands, the testing center that I am going to has been extremely accommodating (even opened up a full day that they don't usually do testing so that I could do multiple tests), I am scheduled to take two exams tomorrow and will have to schedule the third for another day.

One of the biggest gripes is that they make such a big deal about not being able to refund or even reschedule exams once you have them the reservation completed online. I spoke to several different test centers in my area and I have yet to hear a response other than "don't get me started" or "their customer support is useless". It really instills alot of confidence in the FAA's decision to monopolize that part of becoming a professional pilot.

Isn't it fairly common these days for folks to take multiple exams in quick sequence? The three that I am taking have the exact same questions except that the two instructor ones include some things about helicopters that are not in the instrument airplane.

So far, I have been told by the PSI call center that "the FAA does not allow you to take more than one exam per day" and "the system will not allow you to take tests back to back because they are overlapping". They were not able to substantiate the claim of the FAA limitation. If there is one, would be glad to hear about it.

Is the hang-up with the new IACRA process not allowing it to happen? If so, would it not work to coordinate with the CFI giving you the endorsement to setup the first one in IACRA, take the exam. Setup the next one, take the exam. Setup the third one, take the exam...?

When I did my instructor writtens last year, I did my FIA and AGI on same day, then returned less than a week later to do FII and IGI at same time.

@Cody Matsler ... 2 things to add to your to do list.
  1. Since you are in testing mode and on a track to be an instructor, go ahead and get the FOI written done if you still need to do it.
  2. One you ace the ground instructor exams, immediately call up your local FSDO office and schedule a meeting with an inspector there to get your certificate. They can be crazy busy, depending on what's happing in the district. Scheduling sooner than later will get you in the duty officer's agenda so you can make this happen. PRO TIP: have your IACRA filled out in advance.

When I did my instructor writtens last year, I did my FIA and AGI on same day, then returned less than a week later to do FII and IGI at same time.

@Cody Matsler ... 2 things to add to your to do list.
  1. Since you are in testing mode and on a track to be an instructor, go ahead and get the FOI written done if you still need to do it.
  2. One you ace the ground instructor exams, immediately call up your local FSDO office and schedule a meeting with an inspector there to get your certificate. They can be crazy busy, depending on what's happing in the district. Scheduling sooner than later will get you in the duty officer's agenda so you can make this happen. PRO TIP: have your IACRA filled out in advance.

Great advice, my instructor has me all primed for that sequence.

By the way, I graduated from A&M class of 2010. Got my private while I was down in College Station. My instructor (same one I had before) worked at US Aviation for a while a few years back in Denton.

Is the hang-up with the new IACRA process not allowing it to happen? If so, would it not work to coordinate with the CFI giving you the endorsement to setup the first one in IACRA, take the exam. Setup the next one, take the exam. Setup the third one, take the exam...?

This particular situation has nothing to do with IACRA. The testing center only needs my FTN and logbook sign off or statement of authorization. In my case I’ll be taking a letter of authorization as my flight instructor is currently flying for the airlines and we do most of the training in remote sessions.

I regress though, the problem seems to be solely with the PSI system for scheduling. No more walking allowed.

Last edited:
The instructor exams do not require an endorsement. You can walk in off the street (well, you used to) and take the exam.

See the FAA testing matrix: https://www.faa.gov/training_testing/testing/media/testing_matrix.pdf

In theory, Cody should be able to walk in with the endorsement to take the IRA, then turn tight around and do the others

Great advice, my instructor has me all primed for that sequence.

By the way, I graduated from A&M class of 2010. Got my private while I was down in College Station. My instructor (same one I had before) worked at US Aviation for a while a few years back in Denton.
Gig 'Em!! Good on ya to get it done while there... wish I did... woulda been a whole lotta cheaper.

From whence do you hail from now?

And when you are ready to tackle CFI-A, I can highly recommend Thrust Flight at Addison. I'm just wrapping up the academics part of the class and it has been top shelf. Looking forward to the flying half that is happening this next week.

Gig 'Em!! Good on ya to get it done while there... wish I did... woulda been a whole lotta cheaper.

From whence do you hail from now?

I live up in Seattle, WA now. I currently have a pretty decent deal, my company has a couple airplanes that I can fly for the cost of fuel. So I am working to knock out the rest of my single engine training. The instructor I use now cuts me a deal on instruction and we just go do long cross countries to get the flight time knocked out. Last year we flew round trip from Seattle to Memphis, TN in 4 days then I turned around and flew down to San Francisco and logged about 42 hours in a week. Did the same thing for my private back in 2008, did ground,written and flight in 7 days took my check ride on the 8th day.

Are you doing the CFI-A just to start instructing or are you working towards something else?

I live up in Seattle, WA now. I currently have a pretty decent deal, my company has a couple airplanes that I can fly for the cost of fuel. So I am working to knock out the rest of my single engine training. The instructor I use now cuts me a deal on instruction and we just go do long cross countries to get the flight time knocked out. Last year we flew round trip from Seattle to Memphis, TN in 4 days then I turned around and flew down to San Francisco and logged about 42 hours in a week. Did the same thing for my private back in 2008, did ground,written and flight in 7 days took my check ride on the 8th day.

Are you doing the CFI-A just to start instructing or are you working towards something else?
My first job post college was in Portland, OR... funny the similarities

Currently working on CFI-A and hope to do exam before February fades into March. The same (super awesome) academy has a CFI-I class in March (paging @JCranford) and I hope to attend that and be ride ready before April.

Thrust Flight does interview their instructor graduates for instructor positions. And the more I nose around asking questions about their operation, it appears to be a good one to work at. Definitely a good choice for anyone seeking a Zero to Airline program.

There are definitely some transition pains. At least last week there was a delay in the knowledge test results making it into IACRA. I had an applicant who had taken his Knowledge Test the previous day show up for a checkride. Nothing in IACRA so we did the checkride on a paper 8710. Thankfully his instructor was there so we could get a paper 8710 filled out and signed. Otherwise it would've been a real disappointment. Side Note - I always recommend filling out and signing a paper 8710 and bringing it to your checkride just in case IACRA doesn't work.

Also - many DPE's have the administrative authorization to issue Ground Instructor certificates, so you don't necessarily have to go to the FSDO for that anymore.

Just wanted to give an update: Have had multiple calls with PSI and it sounds like they are working on resolution. The tech help for the testing center is far more capable than the candidate call center. However, I was not able to complete all 3 exams despite the testing center and my best efforts. Completed the IRA (100%) and IGI (94% - the helicopter questions got me....) and am scheduled to take the FII this coming weekend. I have an ongoing conversation with PSI regarding the scheduling issue and will keep this thread updated when I hear something new.

Actually, @Cody Matsler - I suspect the restriction is to take the SAME test twice on a single day, not multiple tests.

My suspicion is based on the way test centers work and my experience taking Microsoft CBTs which are administered in a similar way. The theory is that some time between attempts is needed to avoid memorization.

Actually, @Cody Matsler - I suspect the restriction is to take the SAME test twice on a single day, not multiple tests.

My suspicion is based on the way test centers work and my experience taking Microsoft CBTs which are administered in a similar way. The theory is that some time between attempts is needed to avoid memorization.

That may be the case, but there are far more burdens in taking the same test on the same day. In order to retest you have to have a different instructor authorization (and a waiting period of 14 days?). I can see where the call center may not understand the nuance though. Thanks for making that point.

P.S. There were only 5 crossover questions on the two that I was able to take. Since they pull from such a large question bank its hard to believe that you would get enough crossover an a comparatively small number of questions on the exams.

Last edited:
Just book your exams for three different days, at the testing center they can "pull in" the exam from the later dates as long as it is not more than 2 days out. I just did this earlier this week. You can also reschedule the exam on the day that you take the exam BUT they will charge you again for the rescheduled exam (and refund you one later).

Just book your exams for three different days, at the testing center they can "pull in" the exam from the later dates as long as it is not more than 2 days out. I just did this earlier this week. You can also reschedule the exam on the day that you take the exam BUT they will charge you again for the rescheduled exam (and refund you one later).

Interesting. I will keep that in mind when I go to do CFI and AGI. Hopefully by that time PSI has the system worked out so it's not an issue any more...

What exams did you take?

The basic PSI customer service (the one you use to schedule and the one the testing center calls when they have problems) is indeed atrocious. I had them schedule me for tests at the local A&P school (they were the closest testing center), except that I was scheduled for a week when they weren't open for doing those tests. I ended up having a nice chat with the owner of the school and listening to him gripe about the fact that they told PSI that they weren't open that week... hell it was between Christmas and New Years so I understand, but still.

Then when I came back for the rescheduled tests, the system was farked up and wouldn't come up. The problem is I scheduled from as soon as the school opened, like 8AM eastern time. PSI support is in California and they didn't open for a couple of hours. They let me munch down on coffee and donuts in the staff lounge while I waited.

On the other hand, when the FCC wouldn't take a test PSI administered for me, I was able to escalate at PSI to someone who had a hotline into the FCC (I was getting nowhere with them) to get my licenses issued.

I expect things to only get worse now that the FAA has given them a monopoly on the things.

Why not taking 3 different exams on 3 different days? or do you have not much time for that?
Not every testing center offers testing every day. In my case the one nearest me only offers testing on the weekends and they have a limited number of booths and depending on what test is being proctored there are an extremely limited number of slots. They also proctor exams for non-flight stuff (electricians, crane operators, riggers, etc). So While in a ideal world your proposed solution would be fine it just didn’t fit here. What ended up happening was that I had to spread my tests over about a month period. That really slowed down my training/Checkride schedule.

The basic PSI customer service (the one you use to schedule and the one the testing center calls when they have problems) is indeed atrocious. I had them schedule me for tests at the local A&P school (they were the closest testing center), except that I was scheduled for a week when they weren't open for doing those tests. I ended up having a nice chat with the owner of the school and listening to him gripe about the fact that they told PSI that they weren't open that week... hell it was between Christmas and New Years so I understand, but still.

Then when I came back for the rescheduled tests, the system was farked up and wouldn't come up. The problem is I scheduled from as soon as the school opened, like 8AM eastern time. PSI support is in California and they didn't open for a couple of hours. They let me munch down on coffee and donuts in the staff lounge while I waited.

On the other hand, when the FCC wouldn't take a test PSI administered for me, I was able to escalate at PSI to someone who had a hotline into the FCC (I was getting nowhere with them) to get my licenses issued.

I expect things to only get worse now that the FAA has given them a monopoly on the things.

It is indeed bad. I actually had multiple calls with the project manager at the FAA that was in charge of the PSI monopoly and voiced frustrations and concerns. Although I do not expect them to go very far I guess we will see.

Sounds like a great plan. It’ll save you a lot of time. Wish I had taken all the instrument stuff at the same time instead of waiting and restudying.
I did take the all the A&P tests in one day. Airframe, Powerplant, and General. That was about a million years ago though!

Back