Don't be showing up way early for your flight Sunday

Negative, ghost rider. I am protesting the time change, and reverting to winter hours.

What's this "VCR" thing you speak of? :D

I was in Dallas last week. Sun didn't rise until almost 8am.

Thanks for the reminder. Wow, forgot about the time change. Must be getting old...:rolleyes: That would suck showing up at the boat to work at 3:15am instead of 4:15am...:lol::lol:

We’re looking to just stay on one time on the west coast. Waiting for California to get with the program though. Arizona doesn’t do the time change nonsense and they seem to do ok with it.

We’re looking to just stay on one time on the west coast. Waiting for California to get with the program though. Arizona doesn’t do the time change nonsense and they seem to do ok with it.
I would be happy to stay on standard time year-round. We would lose an hour of daylight in the evenings during the summer, but we would adjust and would not ever have to worry about changing clocks again.

I would be happy to stay on standard time year-round. We would lose an hour of daylight in the evenings during the summer, but we would adjust and would not ever have to worry about changing clocks again.
Fine with not changing time if it was permanent Daylight Time. I don't care to have the extra hour of light in the morning when I can't do anything but it's way better to go golfing or do other outdoor activities in the summer time until 9 9:30.

My mom always told me to never end a sentence with a proposition!

Man, if you couldn't end a sentence with a "proposition," the government in California couldn't discuss anything! ;)

You know the good thing about Daylight Savings Time?.....

Yeah, me neither. I hate the two days a year we mess with the clocks ... I call them "Biannual Targeted Sleep Cycle Disruption Stress Tests."

Arizona doesn’t do the time change nonsense and they seem to do ok with it.

The reservations do, so AZ not doing DST can be a real pain. Try coordinating arrival times with the ambulance and airplane on a reservation airport when just flying across the state goes through 5 or 6 time zone borders. My phone goes nuts trying to keep up...

Instead of I'll be landing at 3:30, I just say I'll be there in an hour....:lol::lol:

The reservations do, so AZ not doing DST can be a real pain. Try coordinating arrival times with the ambulance and airplane on a reservation airport when just flying across the state goes through 5 or 6 time zone borders. My phone goes nuts trying to keep up...

Instead of I'll be landing at 3:30, I just say I'll be there in an hour....:lol::lol:
Grew up on the Navajo and Hopi reservations. I very much understand your pain of trying to coordinate using the clock.

DST or no DST, it’s insane that we have a few states that decide to be different and not go along with it. Personally I’d rather we just have permanent DST all year round but whatever we do we should do it uniformly as a nation at once. Also quite annoying that the US and EU go to DST at different times in the year. Yet another reason for no clock changing.

Add in those odd time zone exceptions that are 30 or even 15 minutes fast/slow and time keeping is just one giant cluster.

Much easier to change the country on a state-by-state basis.

And making it way more complicated and annoying along the way. Maybe that might have worked in the 1820s when states were much more insular and interstate and international commerce and cooperation was far less prevalent, but in the modern day when the physical location of a company and its people is pretty much irrelevant, it just adds unneeded complexity to have AZ not follow DST but NM and CA follow it or whatever.

If entire large nations can switch which side of the road they drive on, or their units of measure, or their currency all at once, pretty sure we can handle changing DST all at once.

But anyway I digress. It would be amusing to see statistics on missed commercial flight rates. I bet there is a massive spike on the days we change DST.

It’s never gonna happen all at once in this country. My bet is that once you get a critical mass of states on board with never changing their clocks the rest will change at once.

I don’t know why you say that, we change things on the national level all the time. Congress changed when DST started only 10 years ago (moved it earlier in the year). There’s absolutely no reason we couldn’t change things on a national level. The whole history of DST is federal legislation and policy. Considering only 2 states don’t observe it, the impact would already nearly be uniform as it is.

But agree to disagree

Congress changed when DST started only 10 years ago (moved it earlier in the year).
Yea. Could have picked the same date as the entire rest of the world, but no. Had to be different. Had to make it as ****ing difficult as they could when you are trying to schedule things across national borders.

When I was living/working above the Arctic Circle, DST didn't really mean anything when the sun was shining 24 hours a day for a couple months.

I hate when it gets dark at 4:30pm after switching to Standard time. I much prefer Daylight Savings Time. A lot of people here in Florida must agree with me because we voted a few years to stay permanently on DST. But it can't be implemented until FedGov revises some code to allow it.

Currently, it is ok for a state to stay on Standard Time, like Arizona does, but we can't choose to stay on Daylight Savings time.

Simple remedy. At sunrise turn the clock back 2 hours. At sunset, turn the clock forward 2 hours.

So instead of the sun rising at 6am, it rises at 4am, and instead of setting at 6pm, it sets at 8pm.... 4 hours a day extra sunshine.!!!

I hate going to work in the dark, work underground in the dark, and come out of the mine in the dark, go home in the dark. I don't see daylight till the weekend..:(

I hate going to work in the dark, work underground in the dark, and come out of the mine in the dark, go home in the dark. I don't see daylight till the weekend..:(

You don't see daylight til spring!!

I just set all my clocks to Zulu time and don't worry about it. Freaks people out when they visit the house and they think it's four or five hours later than it actually is.
I like this idea. I have my outlook calendar set up this way because I work with teams in S America, UK, and Europe all of the time!

Aren't you glad you don't live in Barrow.??

Fine with not changing time if it was permanent Daylight Time. I don't care to have the extra hour of light in the morning when I can't do anything but it's way better to go golfing or do other outdoor activities in the summer time until 9 9:30.

This is the exact reason we have daylight savings time. More useful time in the evening during the summer and more light in the morning during school season. You don't want the kids walking to school in the dark, do you??? It's actually more noticeable in the northern latitudes where we have less sunlight during winter days that you do in the south.

This is the exact reason we have daylight savings time. More useful time in the evening during the summer and more light in the morning during school season. You don't want the kids walking to school in the dark, do you??? It's actually more noticeable in the northern latitudes where we have less sunlight during winter days that you do in the south.

Kids can walk to school in the dark. I am unaware of any medical conditions that disallow the movement of the lower extremities due to the sun being below the horizon.

But it’s harder to see kids walking to school in the dark than during daylight.

Back