Twin price on the rise

brien23

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Brien
Are twin prices on the rise or just owners with high hopes of selling their older twins. Is the market for twins a little better now or still can't draw flies.

Prices for trainers have been on the move for a couple of years - Beech Travel Airs, Seminoles, and more recently even Seneca IIs.

Other than that my sense is the well equipped, well maintained ones have seen a bit of pressure on price just because there's not many to choose from. The rare heavily reworked pressurized 340 or 414 get snapped up quickly. But none of these twin owners are getting back anything close to what they are putting into the planes. I've seen a couple of really nice Twin Comanches this year that were going for ridiculous prices considering how much capability one is buying

The neglected rest are just sitting.

Anybody going into a piston twin expecting a return is seriously delusional. OTOH they can be such comfortable planes to do real traveling in. Sometimes it’s worth it to buy something because you want it and can use it. Everything doesn’t have to be an investment.

Based on my 100LL bills, I'm making up for my 'investment' with tremendous volume. :D

It's just important to wear a 24gph grin every time one flies. Priceless, that.

It's fun listening to my neighbors in Portland snivel about carbon footprints. Hey, crunchy, the size of my footprint makes godzilla covet. :rockon:

It's fun listening to my neighbors in Portland snivel about carbon footprints. Hey, crunchy, the size of my footprint makes godzilla covet
Perhaps me, Jay, and eventually Kent need to sport the following bumper sticker....

“I drive an electric car so I can fly ICE airplanes”​

We replaced the mercury vapor lamps in the hangar with LEDs. Does that count? :cool:

The economy is good so MEs typically get a little rise before the economy goes south.

Perhaps me, Jay, and eventually Kent need to sport the following bumper sticker....

“I drive an electric car so I can fly ICE airplanes”​

Well, my ICE airplane is very efficient! And I drive a half-electric car. ;)

Well, my ICE airplane is very efficient! And I drive a half-electric car. ;)

Time to dump the Mooney :p
A half electric car owner deserves a twin non-electric airplane. To properly balance things out.

Just like the standard pilot's FBO lunch from the vending machine...a Snickers bar and a Diet Coke; which cancels out the calories. ;)

12 per side would be appalling.

I never knew how light the tecnam was! 2700# max gross! I thought our twin comanche was 'light' at 3600#

The P2006 is a nice little trainer, there’s also at least one survey company using them.

Now if they put 915's in that aircraft, might have a twin sales revival!
How this hasn’t happened yet is beyond me. You’d think they could beef up the structure where needed and add all weather capabilities. Basically compete with the Diamond DA42 but with an all metal high wing design that runs on mogas.

Of course the price of twins I would like to have (key word ''have'') are going up. Those are the ones that have been upgraded and have had top notch maintenance kept up on them.

How this hasn’t happened yet is beyond me.

I'm guessing they've been busy with the P2012 release. Hopefully the 915is in the P2006 is on their short list.

I thought it was interesting too, until I saw the price tag. :eek:
I agree but when you consider the next closest priced NEW Twin is the PA44 Seminole at $700,000, it seems like a good deal. They have very similar performance (ROC, Single engine performance, range, useful load) except the Seminole is 10-20kts faster on nearly double the fuel. For the same base model prices there is a $192k difference, or 54,857gals of mogas @$3.50, or 4571hrs of flight time. I don't see how people buy brand new planes because these numbers are so mindblowing.

I agree but when you consider the next closest priced NEW Twin is the PA44 Seminole at $700,000, it seems like a good deal. They have very similar performance (ROC, Single engine performance, range, useful load) except the Seminole is 10-20kts faster on nearly double the fuel. For the same base model prices there is a $192k difference, or 54,857gals of mogas @$3.50, or 4571hrs of flight time. I don't see how people buy brand new planes because these numbers are so mindblowing.

Near as I can tell the Tecnam P2006 is targeting the training market. There were 3 of them at a flight school on our field, but they have been replaced with Seneca IIs. A pair of 100 hp Rotaxes, with one throttled back simulating an engine out, just doesn't work all that well at the density altitudes we experience at our 4000 ASL airport (same reason there's no Cessna 150/152 trainers here either). Having said that, I recall hearing from @denverpilot (Nate) there was at least one being used as a trainer at Centennial in Colorado, which is even higher (and in the summer often hotter).

I'm guessing they've been busy with the P2012 release. Hopefully the 915is in the P2006 is on their short list.

Sticking 35% to 40% more power in a certified airframe might be quite the task. Especially if the airframe itself needs to be modified and recertified as a result. But it might open the door to private purchasers looking for a modern twin for personal use. Gawd knows I would never consider owning the current 2X100 hp version.

Back