Mike Busch's Airplane Ownership Volume 1 book

Timbeck2

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Timbeck2
I'm halfway through it and didn't notice that (at least on my copy) it starts on page 215 and chapter 27. When I got to the middle, the index is listed. I thought, "that can't be right, I still have half a book to go." Then I got to looking and the last page is the first page of the book. To read it, I have to "read it backwards" in other words turn the pages from left to right. Weird.

Anyone else have/read this book?

Maybe mine was a printer reject that somehow got sold to me

Maybe mine was a printer reject that somehow got sold to me
Keep it. Get Mike to sign it. It might be worth mucho dinero at a further AirVenture event.

Not sure what you meant by that Tim but I actually agree with the things he says. Sounds like he just wants to save people money.

Not sure what you meant by that Tim but I actually agree with the things he says. Sounds like he just wants to save people money.
agreed. I am not an A&P, but have maintained every other kind of vehicle over the years and while my inclination is to pre-emptively fix things, I do like his thinking about maintenance induced failure and also the thought about what acceptable failures are and what kinds of things you should run to failure vs repair at the first blip or repair at an hourly time.

He also has a strong POV on doing deep troubleshooting before tossing the keys at the shop so that you can give it to them with a "right mag is bad, please IRAN" instead of "the engine isn't running well, start lighting piles of my money on fire until this stops"

You apparently haven't read my statements here over the years where I quote Mike and some of the really stooooooopid things that he's said over the years. Do a search...I think you'll be amazed...

Last edited:
You apparently haven't read my statements here over the years where I quote Mike and some of the really stooooooopid things that he's said over the years. Do a search...I think you'll be amazed...

Even the best expert is sometimes wrong. I think Mike's philosophy is correct, and his philosophy is really what he sells.

I understand your concern with him, but he seems to make sense to me in general, as a non-mechanic. There's some posts in this board by some showing a much worse history, so maybe it's all relative :)

You mean I gotta do homework to find out your opinion? How about I just come up with my own?

In all fairness, we ALL say stupid things every now and again.

You mean I gotta do homework to find out your opinion?

Okay, lemme spoon feed!

Do a search foe "Mike Busch" here and you'll see the reasons. Here's but a couple...

1. Over at CPA. He asserted that you don't need to worry about moisture in your oil in the winter...because the air is too dry. Others had to point out to him that moisture in the oil is a byproduct of combustion, not the air.

2. But my favorite was when Mike asserted (repeatedly) that you should never stop at the SS pump upon your return home to fill up. You should instead taxi to the hangar and call the fuel truck. You'll save money by calling the fuel truck, even though the gas is higher, because every start up imposes excessive wear and tear on an engine, even one that occurs within 15 minutes of shut down when everything is still warm. He finally conceded that that he had a case of cranial rectitus on that one...don't recall if he ever did on the first example.

If he's an "aviation expert" then we're in deep sh*t.

He should rebrand himself as "savvy marketer."

I have no use for people who prey on my right brained friends.

Last edited:
his philosophy is really what he sells
That all A&P's are out to get you and only he is smart enough to properly diagnose your problems (over the phone, using statistics and a crystal ball).

His marketing works. Just like the "get rich quick" hucksters. Everyone wants to save money, so tell people that don't know better what they want to hear and profit from them.

I'm reading the Aircraft Ownership book and he is FAR from saying that all A&Ps are out to get you. He warns you the ones to stay away from and he makes good points. I have yet to read anything that I don't agree with and I haven't read anywhere where he calls himself an "aviation expert." In fact, he seems pretty self deprecating. I like his "don't fix it if it ain't broke" and "maintenance induced failure" philosophy.

Okay, lemme spoon feed!

I have no use for people who prey on my right brained friends.

The water one is a problem but that second one is pretty innocuous, even if not totally accurate.

And it has a tiny bit of reality, any start without oil pressure when things are hot means the usual tolerances are not quite as big as they are when things are cold. On some engines that can mean a teeny tiny bit more wear.

Probably harder on diesels than our big sloppy 1930s tractor engines though. Just my guess. :)

Keep in mind....he didn't invent this stuff. Airlines and DoD been doing RCM for years. He just brought up the discussion for GA....which is all good.

I'm reading the Aircraft Ownership book and he is FAR from saying that all A&Ps are out to get you. He warns you the ones to stay away from and he makes good points. I have yet to read anything that I don't agree with and I haven't read anywhere where he calls himself an "aviation expert." In fact, he seems pretty self deprecating. I like his "don't fix it if it ain't broke" and "maintenance induced failure" philosophy.

He often tends to imply that most mechanics suck but that he doesn’t.

That "don't fix it if it ain't broke" and "maintenance induced failure" philosophy is basically a well adopted industry philosophy that predates Busch by decades.

That"don't fix it if it ain't broke" and "maintenance induced failure" philosophy is basically a well adopted industry philosophy that predates Busch by decades.
ya but....the monitoring is not something folks did. Waiting till it breaks/fails is not an option....removing/replacing before it fails is the goal.

That "don't fix it if it ain't broke" and "maintenance induced failure" philosophy is basically a well adopted industry philosophy that predates Busch by decades.

Not even sure that’s a fair description of his system for everything. He wants things like mags off the aircraft and IRANed on time, for example.

He also wants visibility into the big expensive spinning machine up front and says its crazy not to have an engine monitor if you want to catch things before they get out of hand up there in the big expensive metal shavings and parts maker.

Not even sure that’s a fair description of his system for everything. He wants things like mags off the aircraft and IRANed on time, for example.

He also wants visibility into the big expensive spinning machine up front and says its crazy not to have an engine monitor if you want to catch things before they get out of hand up there in the big expensive metal shavings and parts maker.
and he also makes a strong case for intelligently and consistently using an engine monitor to diagnose problems specifically before it hits the shop, so the shop can do repairs instead of a lot of troubleshooting, or at least have it way narrowed down.

the key to RCM (Reliability Centered Maintenance) is having good indicators that speak to you before failure. Once one understands the physics of failure and has indicators that warn before failure....the data is real and believable....and not hocus-pocus.

I didn't say he came up with it, but it is his philosophy.

Did this guy steal your girlfriend or something?

The water one is a problem but that second one is pretty innocuous, even if not totally accurate.

And it has a tiny bit of reality, any start without oil pressure when things are hot means the usual tolerances are not quite as big as they are when things are cold. On some engines that can mean a teeny tiny bit more wear.

I think you might want to rethink that.

Besides, at the time, he was playing it up like it was the end of the world and you're a freakin' idiot if you do it...not a "teeny bit" of a problem.

Do a search foe "Mike Busch" here and you'll see the reasons. Here's but a couple...

1. Over at CPA. He asserted that you don't need to worry about moisture in your oil in the winter...because the air is too dry. Others had to point out to him that moisture in the oil is a byproduct of combustion, not the air.

2. But my favorite was when Mike asserted (repeatedly) that you should never stop at the SS pump upon your return home to fill up. You should instead taxi to the hangar and call the fuel truck. You'll save money by calling the fuel truck, even though the gas is higher, because every start up imposes excessive wear and tear on an engine, even one that occurs within 15 minutes of shut down when everything is still warm. He finally conceded that that he had a case of cranial rectitus on that one...don't recall if he ever did on the first example.

If he's an "aviation expert" then we're in deep sh*t.

He should rebrand himself as "savvy marketer."

I don't know when this webinar was done as compared to your post but in the video he does say the biggest by product of combustion is water and he also states that a sitting plane in the winter has less moisture to contend with because colder air tends to hold less moisture. Sounds like some things were taken out of context or he changed his tune since then.

The start stop one..yeah it might be a stretch he says "every time you start the engine you incur significant incremental damage". I guess added up over the life of the engine but yeah that one is a stretch....significat incremental?? But I believe its more to do with first start of the day is what he was meaning calling it a dry start..But for me personally at home Ill taxi to the hangar and call the fuel truck because our FS and SS are the same price and off the fuel truck for being based there we get 10 cents off a gallon. Sooo fuel truck is cheaper hehe

Sounds like some things were taken out of context or he changed his tune since then.
Trust me, nothing was taken out of context. He was just talking out of his ass.

And besides...I've been laughing at this for 15 years...Do you want a mechanic, or an Elvis impersonator?

556F5D65-E8BB-4971-9BA2-B212FA2CE432.jpeg

Last edited:
Trust me, nothing was taken out of context. He was just asking out of his ass.

And besides...I've been laughing at this for 15 years...Do you want a mechanic, or an Elvis impersonator?

View attachment 76839
hahaha good pic But if I based a mechanics ability off their looks, there wouldn't be one out there Id trust. haha

I think you might want to rethink that.

Besides, at the time, he was playing it up like it was the end of the world and you're a freakin' idiot if you do it...not a "teeny bit" of a problem.

Seen people here make bigger deals about dumber things and be less willing to admit it was a mistake.

Me included. LOL.

If I believed everything I read in an aviation article or that a mechanic told me, I’d have a number of problems caused by them.

You should see what the experts say will did my industry... IT. They make a LOT more money for less overall usefulness than Mike’s opinions as a whole over the decades. Hahaha.

Today’s fun was MSI Error 1603. Go look that one up and throw a dart at what it might be on half of the PCs at the office today... but I’ll have to figure it out.

Yay a four digit number that means “generic error”. *ucking OS engineers. Haha.

Back