Aviation Sayings

"Relax. You don't want to die all tensed up."

"$h:t, this is like practicing bleeding."

If it floats, flies, or f__ks, rent it.

If it floats, flies, or f__ks, rent it.
I've always heard this one as "...it's cheaper to rent." Cheaper doesn't always mean better. Rentals have all sorts of problems. They're often checked out by another renter when you need them. They are not treated well by other renters, often suffering hard landings resulting in bent landing gear. Sometimes they are taken to all sorts of wild places, so corrosion can be an issue. Sometimes they just smell weird. They're often missing parts or at least need you to add oil and fuel before you start the engine. The preflight inspection for a rental can be more stressful than the actual flight. Owning doesn't seem all that bad when you think about it. And don't even get me started on rental airplanes.

What’s not to like?
Being in their highest tier of loyalty program I get almost no benefit over other pax. Great, I get to board early and usually use business select. I get to borad after all the pre-boards and then when I get on the plane the best seats are already occupied by all their through passengers. So I dont feel like they don't give a damn about their loyal customers. I like that they don't serve food and therefore they don't have a cart blocking the aisle. I don't like being completely jammed into a 737 seat with no option for a seat upgrade and that alone ruins the whole experience. It seems as though other "full cost" airlines usually have cheaper seats than the so called "low cost" of southwest as well. It's a highly overrated airline experience but It does get me where I need to go usually.

I've only flown them once, but I will take their boarding procedure over every other airline out there.
Until you get A1 boarding position and you walk down the jet bridge to find 10 pre-boards and 20 throughs looking at you when you turn the corner. Makes you wonder why you paid $100s more for your ticket.

If you think this if fun, try actually and truly beating the hell out of a TV. Talk about a liberating, cleansing feeling. Also, launching cell phones as skeet targets... that feels really good, too.

The cost of learning to fly professionally has always been the same. It takes everything you've got.

Back