Flight Following to Pvt Airport

RingLaserGyroSandwich

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
RingLaserGyroSandwich
When I passed my PPL checkride in March, the DPE told me I should go get a couple of $200 hamburgers. I've encountered a few delays. Most flying days lately I've been doing instruments training, so no hamburgers. Occasionally I'm available to fly just for fun, but when I've planned for a $200 hamburger, the weather was too poor for a cross country so far. I'm giving it another try this Sunday. Most restaurants at airports nearby the flight school where I rent (at KHEF Manassas) are closed on Sunday, but I think I found a good candidate.

Bryce Resort has an airport (VG18 Sky Bryce) and permits people to land for lunch (or other restorty activities). I'd like to fly a friend there this Sunday in the 152 I completed my PPL in. Am I able to request flight following to a private airport? I've never landed at a private airport before. If so, would they know the ID VG18? "Sky Bryce"? Just pick up flight following to New Market (8W2) and cancel when both airports are in sight?

I'll give them a phone call tomorrow to confirm they will be open for lunch. Another place I wanted to fly to (KEZF) says the restaurant is open on Sundays, but when I called they denied it vehemently :confused:

I got flight following from Syracuse Approach a few weeks ago while flying to a private airport that is on the sectional. First call I refered to the airport by it's name... they seemed a little confused, so I used the identifier on the second tx... then they came back a few minutes later and asked, "Where is that in relation to Weedsport?" They finally found it.
I think folks worry too much about this kind of stuff. ATC, at least where I am, has always been helpful. You can request anything.. if they need more info, or can't grant your request, they'll simply let you know. No reason to ever worry about requesting flight following. I like having the help. Just keep calls short and professional, pickup ATIS first, etc..

Type of airport is irrelevant. If it has an identifier, just use that. If not, pick the closest airport for a FF destination and just tell the controller when you get close what you are doing in plain 'ol English.

FF is not a flight plan...they just wanna know what direction you are headed.

On my call to clearance I say where I am and where I want to go like "departing North East VFR Direct to Winchester, Bravo, Golf, Foxtrot, request 5500." That way they have the name and the identifier and the general area where it should be.

If they can't get the identifier, wouldn't the closest town or city also work? Or do controllers not have that on their radar?

Sounds like you have it handled. I would use the airport identifier as listed on the sectional. If it’s not on the sectional use the next closest. Cancel when you like.

If it’s on the sectional, they should know where it is.

If not than

Do that.
I find that smaller airports are often not know to approach. But if not, they ask you where it is and usually it is as easy as just using a neighboring airport close by that they do know. You will be cancelling 10 miles out or so anyway, so your exact destination really does not matter to the last few miles.

I was flying a 182 out of KRNO one morning to Austin, NV. My conversation went something like this:

"Reno Clearance, Skylane 123AB, VFR to Austin with Bravo."

"Uh... 123AB, is that Austin, Texas?"

"Austin, Nevada" (thinking to myself what Skylane has the range to fly to Texas nonstop?)

"Uh... 123AB what is the identifier for that?"

"KTMT"

"Uh... 123AB what direction is that?"

LOL. I thought I might have dialed the wrong number. :D

We were at a private airport, Fort Parker Flying Field when a friend showed up in his Bonanza. At the time, it didn't have an identifier, so he'd asked for flight following to KLXY, Mexia-Limestone County. We heard sirens in the distance and very soon we had firetrucks, ambulances, police, and even a game warden showing up! He had cancelled flight following when he got close, but I guess they kept watching him and saw he didn't make it to his destination.

Probably best to let ATC know what you are actually doing. If they see the "unplanned" diversion to an uncharted field, they are very likely to call out the cavalry.

Have you flown into Bryce before (alone) ?

If they can't get the identifier, wouldn't the closest town or city also work? Or do controllers not have that on their radar?

They’ll want some identifier that their computer understands unless you will be staying within their airspace. City names won’t work for that. Like others have said above you can pick a nearby airport and just tell the last controller as you get closer what’s going on. If for some reason you go NORDO before that, be sure and contact them or FSS by phone ASAP and tell them where you are.

Last edited:
Probably best to let ATC know what you are actually doing. If they see the "unplanned" diversion to an uncharted field, they are very likely to call out the cavalry.

The Calvary won’t be launched for an hour or so minimum.

There was a private island with a grass airstrip on it off the northeast coast of Lake Ontario a few years back. Way out of my price range, but I flew up to take a look anyway just for yucks. As usual, I had flight following w/ Syr app once I left my base, and they handed me off to Wheeler Sack ("Sack Approach") as I got up north. I did a (not very) low approach over the strip (it wasn't in any condition to land... had been abandoned for a while, and there was a tractor stuck in the middle anyway) and forgot to let Sack know. When I disappeared from their radar due to low altitude, they were on the radio pretty fast to me. They were nice enough about it, but I should have let them know what I was about to do. I had just told them I was doing some sight-seeing along the coast. I felt bad.. lesson learned. When you're being followed/watched and want to do something unexpected, let'em know.

I live on a private airstrip. Always have to tell ATC the airport identifier (32GA) but also that it's 12 mi SW of next closest public airport identifier (3J7). Last time coming in on flight following, when cancelling FF, ATC asked me to keep my transponder on assigned code until landing as they wanted to see where the airport was.

How about giving ATC the radial and distance off a close VOR, if they ask where the private strip, if anyone knows how to do that anymore that is

It's not even just private airports. Lots of times distant ATC has no clue about smaller airports. When I was based at VKX I always had to give ADW as my destination for the flight following. When I got handed off to Andrews, they would just ask "Potomac or Hyde." Coming in to NC26, I put in Statesville and as soon as I get to ZTL I can tell them where I'm really going.

IFR is not usually a problem. The computer accepts NC26 and the controllers issue a valid route for it. One time after being handed off to CLT (NC26 is about a mile inside their airspace), they vectored me past my destination. When I could see the CLT runways approaching I inquired as to whether I could make the descent into my destination which was now behind me.

Bryce Resort
Interesting topic by the way, I've wondered the similar. There's a ranch in Montana that has it's own private airstrip.. it's grass so it never even crossed my mind to take the Cirrus there, however it did make me wonder the logistical differences of getting flight following, or flying an IFR plan

The Tzatziki sauce really messes up the lasers.

How about giving ATC the radial and distance off a close VOR, if they ask where the private strip, if anyone knows how to do that anymore that is

That'll work. They can enter that into their computer in the AAAxxxxxx format. Don't be surprised if it flusters them a little though, It's out of the usual way of doing things. I wouldn't do it

Last edited:
Going into uncharted Ag strips I just get flight following to the nearest field with an identifier and then tell the local sector that i’m actually going to a private field NESW however many miles from that charted field.

Unbelievable. Once you tell them "cancel flight following, thanks for the help, good-day" they will forget you. If he/she calls emergency services, that's on him/her.

Unbelievable. Once you tell them "cancel flight following, thanks for the help, good-day" they will forget you. If he/she calls emergency services, that's on him/her.

Well you are entitled to your opinion.

Should I feel special that your first post on POA was such a response to me? It kinda gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling in my shorts.

Regardless welcome aboard.

Should I feel special that your first post on POA was such a response to me? It kinda gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling in my shorts.

You misspelled overboard.

Thanks for the tips and anecdotes. One thing I didn't specify in my first post: The private airport has a code, but it does not appear on the sectional. After reading the thread I'm not too concerned about the flight following now. Plus, the forecast for Sunday is starting to worsen.

$200 hamburgers. I’ve been wondering when someone would finally say that.
I had only heard of $100 hamburgers until my DPE used $200. $200 is probably a fairer estimate.
Have you flown into Bryce before (alone) ?
No, never been there. Closest I've been is KSHD for one of my student pilot cross countries, but it wasn't solo. Someone in another thread just flew into Bryce so I just posted there asking for intel.
Curiosity... what is a RingLaserGyroSandwich..? question for you @RingLaserGyroSandwich
It's when you take one of these and wrap it in pita: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/ed/Ring_laser_gyroscope_at_MAKS-2011_airshow.jpg

No, never been there. Closest I've been is KSHD for one of my student pilot cross countries, but it wasn't solo. Someone in another thread just flew into Bryce so I just posted there asking for intel.

It's a shorter strip in the bottom of a valley. I have only flown a 152 solo, and I don't remember it as much of a climber. Getting out of Bryce with two on board may require some skilled flying.

Thanks for the welcome. No offense taken.

Just give them the airport identifier ...

Well, no one has said it so I will ... call ahead if it's a private strip. I've landed several, and they usually want to have you fax back a form saying you won't hold them liable for pranging your aircraft (my last one was Lajitas TX a few years ago).

I’ve used flight following without any destination. Just told Orlando approach we would be sightseeing to the south for an hour or so. No problem, just cautioned me to stay out of the Bravo.

They prefer to be talking to you, and they will try to make it easy.

Once a year I fly back to Kansas and when going into the family farm after the first cutting of hay I let ATC know what's going on. There is no Identifier for the field and communication is a wonderful thing. They have no problem with that.

Back