Concealed carry and GA

So, I I am going to carry a firearm as part of an emergency kit...but I don’t want to leave it in the airplane (for obvious reasons)...?

Conceal means conceal. Do that properly and there is nothing to worry about. Easy to do, everyone has lumpy things in their pocket these days. Hell, my iPhone XS Max is harder to conceal than a firearm.

Most LEOs are trained to recognize concealed weapons. Once you are in a public building where the weapons are prohibited their training then gives them reasonable suspicion for a pat down and you ass is headed to jail on a felony weapons charge.
If they could effectively detect firearms based on their training and eyes, they wouldn’t have metal detectors.

In a state where open carry and concealed carry are covered under the same license, people often don’t conceal as well as they used to before the same permit covered open.

But for the reference above, it specifically refers to the sterile portions of an airport, and a few other references. So I suspect most GA does not fall under it, but the sterile portion of an airport may not always be as obvious to predict as we would like.

Most FBOs are located in a government owned building and most states prohibit firearms in government owned buildings. So if you are discovered carrying and local police decide to lock you up, that a risk you assumed.

Those buildings will be mostly City or county owned, and usually only subject to local codes. Each state is obviously different, so it pays to know the local laws as hard as that often is.

Yes - Signature at KBOS has one. In fact, I was thoughtfully relieved of my leatherman tool once going through there (and charged $75 security fee for the service). Thank god they caught it or I could have easily taken myself hostage in the air (I was the only human boarding the flight).

You have to love security theater!
Yea, I wouldn't have let that happen.

So... they didn’t care about the AK47 in the back seat?!? ;)

What a joke.

Self screening?

So, ok.... I was in the Bahamas and I was like whiuuut? There is an X-ray and metal detector now at governors harbour. I was like, what’s that for and there like, you got to go through saciurateee now bruh.... the you esaya making us so eit.

Bu I was trying to depart and there wasn’t anyone there. I said, well, I’m leaving and took all my crap through and left.nobody cared.

At Bimini, they ran me through. I had two pocket knives and two fillet knives. They asked what flight I was on. I be like, I don’t have a flight number. I have my own plane.

They were like ohhh.... private flight. OK. She looks at the dude and says, he’s got his own plane and runs it all through without checking the rest of the bags. Oh yea.... had to pay $6 for each passenger for them to do this......

And no, they don’t make change.

So yea.... security.

Back when I flew for a fractional, we had some people leaving on a hunting trip from BOS, so they showed up with some shotguns. Security would not let them through, no way no how. So we flew the airplane empty to BED, and the pax drove over, and we departed with no fuss. A few days later, we flew them back to BOS, and they got off the airplane with their shotguns and walked right into the FBO. No one even noticed.

I lost all my guns in an unfortunate sea plane accident and I am not even sea plane rated. Yet!

Ever see a metal detector at an FBO? Sure as hell I have. There are a few places where the GA ramp isn't separated well from the airline stuff. Of course, that doesn't fix the guys who fly in with guns, but be careful if you take it with you on your return.

It's illegal in Virginia to carry in any "air carrier airport terminal" even BEFORE you get to security. There are a handful of airports that fit that description that the "air carrier airport terminal" is also the building with the FBO.

Out here in Vegas with the 15 y/o Son, plane is in St George. He wanted to go to a ‘full-auto’ shoot so we visited ‘Battlefield Vegas’. I did the MP-5 I think just to participate. His choices were more exotic, VZ-58 and some other rare gun. It was fun I’ll say. My last full auto was back in my Guard years with the M-60 & M-16.

I’m more of a ‘concealed means concealed’ guy.

Attachments

• AC021EA3-8559-4C4A-879B-1448B6ABEDE3.jpeg
    AC021EA3-8559-4C4A-879B-1448B6ABEDE3.jpeg
    144.7 KB · Views: 39
  • 192CEE8D-7E1A-4DE2-AC05-1490D4ADB27E.jpeg
    192CEE8D-7E1A-4DE2-AC05-1490D4ADB27E.jpeg
    94.2 KB · Views: 37
Out here in Vegas with the 15 y/o Son, plane is in St George. He wanted to go to a ‘full-auto’ shoot so we visited ‘Battlefield Vegas’. I did the MP-5 I think just to participate. His choices were more exotic, VZ-58 and some other rare gun. It was fun I’ll say. My last full auto was back in my Guard years with the M-60 & M-16.

I’m more of a ‘concealed means concealed’ guy.

Ah, yes. I remember shooting the M-60 and qualifying with the M-16A1. As a lefty I wasn't fond of either of them. Now, give me an M2 and I'm a happy camper. (That's a .50 cal air cooled machine gun for those not familiar with the beast. :D )

Conceal means conceal. Do that properly and there is nothing to worry about. Easy to do, everyone has lumpy things in their pocket these days. Hell, my iPhone XS Max is harder to conceal than a firearm.
My Samsung Galaxy Note is larger then my usual carry piece.

1FFC0040-1517-4DFB-9E8F-394B9B9C85E6.jpeg Concealed is concealed.

Trailblazerfirearms.com , the ultimate in firearms concealment.

Last edited:
Hopefully you can stop the bad guy with one .22 shot from an ill-shaped gun.

Those buildings will be mostly City or county owned, and usually only subject to local codes. Each state is obviously different, so it pays to know the local laws as hard as that often is.

There are 16 states than ban guns in govt owned buildings + the states that allow local ordances banning guns in public owned buidings + the states that don’t recognize other states concealed carry permits.

So if you are going to be that law bidding citizen the NRA says you are, you better be doing a lot of checking first.

Hopefully you can stop the bad guy with one .22 shot from an ill-shaped gun.
.22 magnum is a pretty good cartridge; it penetrates better (if you use ammo meant for short barrels instead of rifles) than a .380.

.22 magnum is a pretty good cartridge; it penetrates better (if you use ammo meant for short barrels instead of rifles) than a .380.

North American Pug mini-revolver is a good choice for .22 magnum, and it conceals easily. Step up just a little bit to a Kel-Tec P32 and you get .32ACP and 7 rounds in a superlight semi-auto pistol that is undetectable in a slim pocket holster. Always use a holster. Better safe than sorry.

The sticking point is going to be the metal detector, if you have to transit one. LifeCard won't do you any good there, but it sure is cute.

The Pug has a real grip and fires 5 shots.

Yes, lost of people have shot their nads off not using a holster.

I'll stick with my subcompact sig in the sneaky pete holster. It looks more like I'm an unarmed geek with an ipad strapped to my belt or something.

Step up just a little bit to a Kel-Tec P32 and you get .32ACP and 7 rounds in a superlight semi-auto pistol that is undetectable in a slim pocket holster.

I like my P32 but if I were buying today I'd probably get the P3AT. A .380 has a good bit more punch than a .32, although with Winchester Silvertips I think the .32 will do the job. The P3AT wasn't on the market yet when I got my little pea shooter.

I occasionally carry in the plane but that’s just because I occasionally carry.

I screen, Hi Points and Berettas carriers are not allowed to board or are tossed from the plane. Luckily I am not friends with such people, so it hasn't happened yet.

I screen, Hi Points and Berettas carriers are not allowed to board or are tossed from the plane. Luckily I am not friends with such people, so it hasn't happened yet.

If it ain’t a Glock, it’s not reliable enough...

I like my P32 but if I were buying today I'd probably get the P3AT. A .380 has a good bit more punch than a .32, although with Winchester Silvertips I think the .32 will do the job. The P3AT wasn't on the market yet when I got my little pea shooter.
Bud's https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog...dguns/Beretta/Beretta+PICO+380+6RD+INOX+BLACK has the Beretta Pico on sale for $199. Maybe the softest shooting .380 out there. Certainly the slimmest. Get some Inceptor ARX ammo for it and you're good.

Back