New to planes

Leo Stewart

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Mustang69
Looking at buying a q2 quickly . Know nothing about flying . Can y'all give me any advice .

Not knowing anything about flying and aircraft ownership are like oil and water. Put the brakes on that idea until you understand what you’re buying and what implications come with it. I better ask the most important question of them all...can you hold a medical? If not, fahgedaboutit.

buying a q2 quickly .
You mean buying Q2 Quickie quickly? :)
I know some people who bought airplanes before they even had their first flying lesson - some never completed the training for various reasons.
I would slow down.

Yes I can I have medical now but not air . Don't know
You mean buying Q2 Quickie quickly? :)
I know some people who bought airplanes before they even had their first flying lesson - some never completed the training for various reasons.
I would slow down.
Well I'm not in a hurry really just was asking

Not knowing anything about flying and aircraft ownership are like oil and water. Put the brakes on that idea until you understand what you’re buying and what implications come with it. I better ask the most important question of them all...can you hold a medical? If not, fahgedaboutit.
Yes I can clear medical

He is probably a young, healthy guy, by "default" he won't have any problems with the FAA medical.

My intuition is that you came across a good deal on this airplane and it has sparked your imagination. I wouldn't go that route if I were in your shoes nor would I recommend another go that route. What you should do is take a few Discovery flights and see if flying is for you. Then, if you have the means to own an airplane, buy something like a Cessna 150 to do your training in. If you buy the Quickie, then you're probably getting an airplane in unknown condition, that mechanics are not familiar with, and that flight instructors are not familiar with.

Looking at buying a q2 quickly . Know nothing about flying . Can y'all give me any advice .

Learn to fly using a training airplane with a known track record (e.g. Cessna or Piper).
Save the oddball homebuilt adventures for later. The Q2 has some interesting handling quirks, and is not that great for a pilot in training.

Doing some things quickly can be troublesome especially if it is something you know nothing about. In the case of flying or airplane ownership, it can be disastrous. Slow down and take a deep breath and start with the basics.

Doing some things quickly can be troublesome especially if it is something you know nothing about. In the case of flying or airplane ownership, it can be disastrous. Slow down and take a deep breath and start with the basics.

This advice would prevent soooooo many teen pregnancies, also.

Get a mentor with brains and a lot of Aviation experience.

This advice would prevent soooooo many teen pregnancies, also.
Lol yes I got a good deal on the plane . And I'm not totally ignorant . I know and have read up on what I could find on the little plane . I know my spelling isn't that great Eather . But I was looking on pros and cons on the little bird . It looks to be in goid shape needs a few things . I figure if u learn in a hard one then the easy ones will be a snap . I thank you all for your replays.

A Q2 isn't necessarily "hard", but it's different. If I'm not mistaken, it's incapable of some of the maneuvers (e.g. stalls) that are required as part of pilot training. And good luck finding an instructor willing to teach in one.

Why do I get the feeling that you are asking for a friend?

what’s the tail number?

Is the plane registered? Has it had an annual inspection recently? Is it even close to airworthy?

If the picture was taken by you then I’d say you’re in way over your head.

Last edited:
Let me reiterate:

"If you buy the Quickie, then you're probably getting an airplane in unknown condition, that mechanics are not familiar with, and that flight instructors are not familiar with."

I am not going to say that you are getting in over your head. I will say this - it will be a long time, if ever, before you get a flight lesson in that Quickie. If you want a project and something to play with and learn from in your garage, go for it. Then go to a flight school and learn to fly in a Cessna (or Piper or Diamond, etc). Maybe some day you will even fly the Quickie but not anytime soon and not without knowledgeable assistance - a lot of knowledgeable assistance.

I know it's a project . It needs everything . Not like I'm going out tomarro and try to fly it . It will be a builder I know this .

I know it's a project . It needs everything . Not like I'm going out tomarro and try to fly it . It will be a builder I know this .
You’ll need a registration. Which is where the tail number comes from. Hence my question about that. Based on your replies I’ll assume it’s not registered.

Does it have an airworthiness certificate? If not, you’re in for even more hassle.

It sounds to me like you essentially have a kit that’s partially assembled. You have a long and steep climb ahead of you. One that does not include you learning to fly in that aircraft.

Being a home builder is one thing. Being a pilot is a completely different thing. If you really want to learn to fly, go learn in a proper trainer. If you want to build a plane, then go for it. That’s fun also. Just realize that you’re more likely to die trying than to learn in that plane if you don’t seek professional training.

I get the feeling you are buying some ones project that was never completed, never was flown.
If this is correct, you will be required to complete the project, get it inspected as required to get an N number, prior to flying it.

OBTW,, they are not a good aircraft to learn to fly in. they don't fly like Norman aircraft. I doubt the DPE will give you the practical in one.

I get the feeling you are buying some ones project that was never completed, never was flown.
If this is correct, you will be required to complete the project, get it inspected as required to get an N number, prior to flying it.

OBTW,, they are not a good aircraft to learn to fly in. they don't fly like Norman aircraft. I doubt the DPE will give you the practical in one.

If you're correct, it seems likely that most CFIs would be unwilling to instruct in it anyway.

If you're correct, it seems likely that most CFIs would be unwilling to instruct in it anyway.
Unless you find an instructor named Norman?

Last edited:
??? How can it be registered if it is still in pieces? It never flew, it is obvious looking at the photo.
I disagree. IMO there is nothing in the photo that proves it never flew. If you read my posts you'll see that I think it could be an uncompleted kit. But that photo is far from conclusive IMO. I've seen planes fly that look worse than that.

Please, please, please before you go any further seek out some professional advice locally in person. Talk to an experienced CFI, Mechanic, plane owner, or someone from the FAA.

To add onto my post, an EAA tech advisor could be another good resource. Check out your local EAA chapter.

To those who think a plane needs to be completed and inspected to register it, that is simply not true. That is required for issuance of the airworthiness certificate, not the registration.

Back