Super Administrator
Management Council Member
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Ryan
Found this one.

A63A58CB-B3AD-4E02-8298-0D9026B5FB24.jpeg

Piper’s social media page posted this, it said— “In the 1960’s, a loaf of bread cost 20c, gas cost 25c, and flying lessons cost $5.”

A Cherokee C with a paint job like that one, but blue, and a "For Sale" sign in the window parked near the FBO where I took my primary instruction was the first airframe that made me seriously consider owning my own plane.

That was for the intro flight, which usually was about 20 minutes. Piper used to givve out gold colored poker chips that had a Cherokee 140 embossed on them on one side and "For a Piper Pilot" on the other side with the price and and some text saying it was For an intro flight.

I think we all should dress in a black suit, white shirt and skinny black tie when we go flying....

This one has always been my favorite... Cessna should have included a pre-written NTSB report with each airplane sold...

upload_2019-2-2_18-29-17.png

make me get up & walk to the spare bedroom to snap a pic, won’t you

image.jpg

Sure, you could put those people and bags in a 150. If the fuel tanks were empty.

If you're used to flying an A65 powered Champ, a C-150, overloaded by 100 pounds, still feels like a sprightly performer.

I suspect over-gross was a common condition for C-150's which were used for anything other than giving flying lessons to 20 year olds.

I wonder how many folks went racing out to the airport to get in on the "Land-o-Matic" revolution when they saw this ad:

AaJgPjdRHiFzKOableF3tMaygo04ps7Jgi8brZfB_JI.jpg

Not having a left wing or strut cuts down the empty weight a bit ... o_O
That's an ingenious way to increase UL. More manufacturers should use that design method.

I love the Cessna 140 ads touting how the landing gear made ground loops almost a thing of the past. Thats why I bought one, I skipped the TW endorsement as the Cessna ad said it was no worry. Took her out in 25 knot crosswind for my first trip on pavement, as soon as the wheels touched down I grabbed the sandwich next to me had a bite as I cleaned up the plane. Can't believe they made a TW that wouldn't ground loop! Incredible! lol

Then marketed the "Land-o-matic" tricycle gear short while later, must be that didn't apply to their tail draggers! :)

It's hard for me to fathom that people used to dress like that even for the most mundane things. Men going out anywhere - suits, ties, and hats. Women going grocery shopping - dresses, high heels, string of pearls. It's just bizarre to me. Different time I guess. And I'm not a youngun either, I was born in the late 60's but even my parents didn't dress like that.

It's hard for me to fathom that people used to dress like that even for the most mundane things. Men going out anywhere - suits, ties, and hats. Women going grocery shopping - dresses, high heels, string of pearls. It's just bizarre to me. Different time I guess. And I'm not a youngun either, I was born in the late 60's but even my parents didn't dress like that.

Thread drift for sure. I was born in 1966. My father always wore suit and tie to work and mass. We (5 brothers and I) all had "school clothes" and "play clothes"

Call me old fangled, but it was a better time.

Last edited:
The 150 I learned to fly in had a usable load of 524#. Before we all got tall and fat, that was totally doable with a 150# guy, #120 pound wife, couple of 35# kids, full fuel of 135# and you still had 49 pounds for luggage.
Sure, you could put those people and bags in a 150. If the fuel tanks were empty.

The 150 I learned to fly in had a usable load of 524#. Before we all got tall and fat, that was totally doable with a 150# guy, #120 pound wife, couple of 35# kids, full fuel of 135# and you still had 49 pounds for luggage.
150s gained a lot of weight with the big changes of 1966. Our '65 150E (straight tail, manual flaps) had a useful load of 541 lb; but the useful load of our similarly-equipped '66 150F (swept tail, electric flaps) was only 491 lb.

Thread drift for sure. I was born in 1966. My father always wore suit and tie to work and mass. We (5 brothers and I) all had "school clothes" and "play clothes"

Call me old fangled, but it was a better time.

It was at least nicer times.

My dad wore a suit to work everyday until he retired in '93 and to church every Sunday. Mom wore "June Cleaver'' type dresses until at least the mid '70s when ''pants suits'' became popular for women. I remember my dad had the typical for the day business uniform....black pants and jacket with a white shirt, skinny black tie and those old black frame glasses and smelled of Old Spice and Wild Root hair oil.... I had school clothes and play clothes. Blue jeans were not allowed in school until I was in the 6th grade, but until then as soon as I got home it was blue jeans and white T-shirt then out until the 5 o'clock horn sounded.

Pre-Baconator/Thirsty Two Ouncer times, I guess.

Back