Cessna 206 (Stationaire) How Does The Copilot get in?

Sinistar

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Brad
My wife and I were watching some YouTube videos on 206's.

- Pilot Side door with window that opens - check :)
- Co-pilot side window opens - check :)
- Big side door for rear passengers and loading stuff - check :)

- Co-pilot door...NONE....hmmm..…so how are people in that seat getting in/out???

So is this like the only GA Cessna high wing w/o a co-pilot door?

I don't think P210 has a right door. It does have like half a door that lifts upward, like upper half of a clamshell, but it's not a door to get in.

So is this like the only GA Cessna high wing w/o a co-pilot door?
With the big double doors on the rear right side, it would be difficult structurally to have a standard front passenger door on the U206/Stationair. The Wipline STC passenger door is much smaller than a normal Cessna door.

From 1965 through 1970 Cessna offered an alternative, the model P206 "Super Skylane" ('P' for 'passenger' in this instance). It combined the engine, wings and tail of the U206, with the cabin of the older Model 205. That version had normal Cessna full-size pilot and passenger doors, with a smaller cargo door at the left rear.

5211874A-515B-4687-BB07-7FA8770FAB51.jpeg

My wife and I were watching some YouTube videos on 206's.

- Pilot Side door with window that opens - check :)
- Co-pilot side window opens - check :)
- Big side door for rear passengers and loading stuff - check :)

- Co-pilot door...NONE....hmmm..…so how are people in that seat getting in/out???
Looking to get a bit bigger already eh??

I can’t believe I’m admitting this, but I never knew the 206 didn’t have a front door on the starboard side. Now I really feel dumb...

Last edited:
With the big double doors on the rear right side, it would be difficult structurally to have a standard front passenger door on the U206/Stationair. The Wipline STC passenger door is much smaller than a normal Cessna door.

From 1965 through 1970 Cessna offered an alternative, the model P206 "Super Skylane" ('P' for 'passenger' in this instance). It combined the engine, wings and tail of the U206, with the cabin of the older Model 205. That version had normal Cessna full-size pilot and passenger doors, with a smaller cargo door at the left rear.

View attachment 69285
Thanks for the info, never knew there were a few years with both front doors!

Maybe we'll woman up!! The wife's a taildragger pilot and says hell yeah! And no nose strut to f with when it gets cold.
The ONLY downside to a 185 is that while it is 6 seats... it's not 6 seats (due to space, not load). A 206 however, now that's 6 seats.

However in a terrible parallel universe where 180/185's didn't exist... I'd totally be buying a 206. They're some super capable aircraft and would be my next choice in ownership.

The cargo door won't open with flaps full dow.

U-206s are great planes but I wouldn't own one without the Wipair copilot door mod, and that ain't cheap.

Thanks for the info, never knew there were a few years with both front doors!
Yeah, 1965-1970 you had your choice of U206 with the double cargo doors and no passenger door, and utilitarian interior; or P206 with "normal" door arrangement and plusher interior.

I flew a 1967 P206 a number of years ago to haul a load of Christmas gifts to the border (KSDM). Nice airplane, but not as easy to load/unload as a U206.

So I guess the captain does not go down with the ship. So much for the one in command being the last one off the plane.

I can’t believe I’m admitting this, but I never knew the 206 didn’t have a front door on the starboard side. Now I really feel dumb...

To be honest, the only reason I knew is because I've flow right seat in one. The pilot said "time to go" and then looked at me to get in and I had no idea why.

If I hadn't flown one, I probably wouldn't know either.

I find it hard to believe that any would-be 206 co pilot would end up standing out there scratching his head wondering how to get in.

I mean.....o_O

No so much wondering how to get in, but not clued in that I had to get in first.

I seem to recall that the rear door would only open part way with the flaps down on the T206H I flew sporadically for a year or so.
Of the two cargo doors on a U206G, it's the forward one that will only open part-way with the flaps down. The opening is just enough to allow the red handle on the rear door to be used to unlatch it for emergency egress.

California Highway Patrol puts the Wipline STC'd door on its T206H fleet.

View attachment 69340

From this photo it's apparent that because of the right-side double cargo doors, there's no room for a standard Cessna passenger door.
Geez that tail seems to be hanging low.

From the T206H POH:

NOTE

• If the forward cargo door should come unlatched and
open slightly in flight, it is suggested that a landing be
made at a suitable airport to close and latch the door,
unless a passenger is available to close it. It cannot be
reached by the pilot. The wing flaps will not operate with
the cargo door open, even slightly, and the landing
should be planned accordingly.

• A flap interrupt switch, on the upper sill of the forward
cargo door opening, will stop flap operation regardless of
flap position any time the forward cargo door is
unlatched. The switch is intended to prevent lowering
the flaps into the cargo door when it is open.
Although with flaps extended, the forward cargo door can only be
opened approximately four inches, the aft cargo door will still open fully,
if required, once the forward door is unlatched.
Some early models of the 206 had flaps of unequal span, with the inboard end of the right-hand flap a few inches out from the wing root.

Screen Shot 2018-11-20 at 6.15.45 PM.png

Also, the inboard ends of the flaps are "pinched", possibly to provide more clearance for the door.

Screen Shot 2018-11-20 at 6.11.29 PM.png

Last edited:
Back