USB for rear seats

jmpoplin

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
NCFlyer
I have a Saratoga for hauling the family around and am looking at putting a USB in the rear seating area cause we all know "they" need more power for devices. The family currently carries rechargeable battery packs but am looking for a more permanent solution that reduces that hassle.

I happily had a Appareo Stratus Power USB installed in the panel, but curious if anyone has installed anything in the rear seating area: experiences, thoughts, recommendations??

Thanks!

(( insert virtual Tim Allen meme ))

The club did it for the Bonanza a few years ago during a major avionics upgrade. Not sure what brand or model, but it was routed down left side and stationed just ahead of where your left knee would be when sitting in that seat.

So far no complaints.

curious if anyone has installed anything in the rear seating area
For simplicity, just use one of the Appareo ports and run a cable to a USB hub in the back seat. It's all considered loose equipment.

For future reference: If you had a working cigarette lighter could have gone the plug-in USB adapter route also. Or if no lighter plug, it can sometimes be easier/cheaper to install a standard 12v aux plug and adapt as needed. But the Appareo is definitely top shelf and first rate.

thousands of these flying in jets. IMHO most cheap USB/12 volt adapters spew noise.

Attachments

• IMG_4299.PNG
    IMG_4299.PNG
    622.2 KB · Views: 49
My status USB port is going in the console where the cig lighter used to be. It could easily go in the rear console if needed, just like the back seat headphone jacks.

i ended up putting an EI USB-6A in my panel. It's cheap. The power is clean. There are five (!) ports, though only two can provide high power.

The downside for use in the rear is that it's a 2" hole mount. Still, if you can find room for it back there, it seems like a great choice, being at least $100 cheaper than anything else and having more than twice as many ports.

Get a usb battery pack, no RF noise, no cables from front to back.

i ended up putting an EI USB-6A in my panel. It's cheap. The power is clean. There are five (!) ports, though only two can provide high power.

The downside for use in the rear is that it's a 2" hole mount. Still, if you can find room for it back there, it seems like a great choice, being at least $100 cheaper than anything else and having more than twice as many ports.

Needs to be installed with a CGR-30 to be STC’d
d6141c6433b083ed2f4535a64f07b335.jpg

LiDiVi power outlet from Amazon Prime. One in the panel and one for the back seat. But that's in a Cub and the rear seat unit is in the wing root. I hate electrics in the wing root so I leave the breaker pulled.

Something to think about... The USB A connector was standard for a long time, and now it looks like the USB C will be. With devices costing hundreds, to me it is more prudent to install cigarette lighters (cheap, and a minor alteration in the logbook) and USB connectors like this one from Amazon, that can be changed to the latest and greatest on a whim:

Unless you need more than 2.4A at 5V to keep your equipment going, the USB-A connectors will still be useful. USB-A to -C cables or adapters are widely available.

Something to think about... The USB A connector was standard for a long time, and now it looks like the USB C will be. With devices costing hundreds, to me it is more prudent to install cigarette lighters (cheap, and a minor alteration in the logbook) and USB connectors like this one from Amazon, that can be changed to the latest and greatest on a whim:

I picked up one of these for my plane. Looks much better than the big clunky adapter I was using.

65CC8277-86FF-4F7F-A34F-F80AE4181421.jpeg

The smaller they are, the harder it is to control noise. That's what finally drove me to just get an aviation-specific panel port. Unpredictably nearly every charger would interfere with this channel or another. I get it, the ports are stupid expensive when certified, but it ultimately made sense to eliminate the issue once and for all in my case.

I have a Saratoga for hauling the family around and am looking at putting a USB in the rear seating area cause we all know "they" need more power for devices. The family currently carries rechargeable battery packs but am looking for a more permanent solution that reduces that hassle.

I happily had a Appareo Stratus Power USB installed in the panel, but curious if anyone has installed anything in the rear seating area: experiences, thoughts, recommendations??

Thanks!
I had the Appaero panel dual USB installed in the cigarette lighter position in the back of my Bonanza. I have a USB cord that reaches the front seat and I am delighted with it. I did this after the 3rd adapter started causing radio static. And I didn't buy cheap ones. I have been happy with it for over a year. And it charges devices faster than the cigarette lighter adapters ever did.

Back