Kit and Plans search engine

Grum.Man

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Grum.Man
So one of you tech gurus should develop a search engine site for home built airplanes. One that is kept current and allows you to search by all sorts of criteria like if plans are offered, HP, aerobatic, etc...

Just my random thought of the day.

If you have not already, you could ask on VAF or other homebuilt-oriented forum. Maybe more likely to get a response from someone who did this in the course of their decision-making process.

Well I stand corrected, never seen that before. Thanks!! Now if only I was a subscriber.

What are you looking for?

Kitplanes is not that expensive. I think if you buy a single issue, you can get access for that month. Or am I thinking of someone else?

If you are considering a kit, kitplanes.com is very much worth it.
If you want to do something other than dual mags on a Lycoming or Continental, also get http://contactmagazine.com/

I used to get both, very good resources.

Tim

What are you looking for?

Kitplanes is not that expensive. I think if you buy a single issue, you can get access for that month. Or am I thinking of someone else?

I’m not totally sure. Something low and slow and plans built. I was really impressed with the Verner radial engines I saw at Oshkosh so something for one of those. I used to do kitanes but the mag is hilariously thin now and they are always doing stupid expensive projects. I just want a little beater to hop around to the local grass strips that I can’t do in the venture.

In that case, check out http://homebuiltairplanes.com
Look for a guy on there named cluttonfred. Or just post a general question, make sure to include preferred materials you want to work with (composite, metal, wood, rag...). And any ideas on mission.

Tim

@Grum.Man
If you just want a cheap beater for grass you can come up to my field and pick up the wood fabric open cockpit single seat home built owned by the 70 some year old former lineman here who's llooking to retire from flying. He said something about 7k to me. and its not a beater. ..

@Grum.Man
If you just want a cheap beater for grass you can come up to my field and pick up the wood fabric open cockpit single seat home built owned by the 70 some year old former lineman here who's llooking to retire from flying. He said something about 7k to me. and its not a beater. ..
Know anything about it like what type and engine?

I’m not totally sure. Something low and slow and plans built. I was really impressed with the Verner radial engines I saw at Oshkosh so something for one of those. I used to do kitanes but the mag is hilariously thin now and they are always doing stupid expensive projects. I just want a little beater to hop around to the local grass strips that I can’t do in the venture.

Plans built...Zenith sells their airplanes as plans and has a sweet STOL.

If you want to go really low budget, there's the Airdrome Aeroplanes WW-I replicas, but I'm wondering about the durability of them. They are LSAs but built more like an ultralight. But you can build a DR-1 replica and make every landing an arrival.

There's actually a lot of stuff out there for plans built - bearhawks, Bedes, hummelbird, Pietenpol, probably a dozen Cub replicas.

Specifically for the Verner motors, I'm not sure what there is. They're pretty low HP, so something more toward the ultralight side.

A Lazair? There's something strangely satisfying about a twin ultralight.

A Fly Baby would be great for a low/slow mission. For $7k, it would be a steal if the engine is in reasonable shape.

Plans built...Zenith sells their airplanes as plans and has a sweet STOL.

If you want to go really low budget, there's the Airdrome Aeroplanes WW-I replicas, but I'm wondering about the durability of them. They are LSAs but built more like an ultralight. But you can build a DR-1 replica and make every landing an arrival.

There's actually a lot of stuff out there for plans built - bearhawks, Bedes, hummelbird, Pietenpol, probably a dozen Cub replicas.

Specifically for the Verner motors, I'm not sure what there is. They're pretty low HP, so something more toward the ultralight side.

A Lazair? There's something strangely satisfying about a twin ultralight.

Yea I can't get past the Zenith ugly looks... They make a Verner up to 160 hp or so but I am looking to stay under 60 as there is a huge price difference between the 60 and 80 hp engines. I like the Hummelbird but was really wanting a high wing. I like the N3 Ultra Pup but I don't think they sell plans for those anymore. I like the Ragwing Storch and the plans are dirt cheap so I may order them just to look at.

Other options are Fisher Celebrity, Love the looks and perfect for the Verner but I would like something with a little more room for camping gear.

Flybaby plans don't seem to be available anymore.

I also like the SA900 V-Star but it seems to need the 85 hp engine more than the 60.

If you scroll all the way to the bottom as of April of this year they were told to stop selling the plans.

You want flybaby plans? I've got an unused set if someone is interested.

If you scroll all the way to the bottom as of April of this year they were told to stop selling the plans.
Of course, you are correct and I meant no disagreement. What I should have said is: "While the plans set sold by Peter Bowers and later by Ron Wanttaja on behalf of his heirs is no longer available, see Ron's website at http://www.bowersflybaby.com/ for information on how EAA members can download the original Sport Aviation articles which contain the same information. Ron's web site also details his 'PB100 Fly Baby Reboot' project and has links to lots of other useful information for the prospective Fly Baby builder."

Back