Dual Sport M/C

MSRP $4,599 both years.

As stated before, my dealer gave me a small discount.
It will be cheaper for me to buy it here, than to have you buy it, ship it then me paying Wa. state fees too.
when we import vehicles from out of state, we pay the sales tax as if we bought it here.

Still, check Oregon, Idaho, Montana, or other nearby states with dealers.

It would appear you’d be getting ripped on the setup and freight charges where you are. As a rule, MSRP should include those items.

As an aside, I was thinking you’d ride it home!

As a further aside, the change to 2018’s was in August, 2017, and was just cosmetic. You might get lucky and find a new 2017 at a dealer who could be a “motivated seller”.

Last edited:
Pretty much all the current model Japanese dual sport motorcycles are antiques and in my opinion, heavy and low on power.

Not my experience. Kawasaki’s KLX250 is a fresh design and relatively high tech. The Yamaha XT250 and WR250R are also fairly up to date designs. Not current on Honda/Suzuki.

Not my experience. Kawasaki’s KLX250 is a fresh design and relatively high tech. The Yamaha XT250 and WR250R are also fairly up to date designs. Not current on Honda/Suzuki.

Indeed, the KLX and WR are relatively new designs, compared to the rest of the Japanese dual sports. They aren’t that great when comparing against some of the European offerings however, or the dirt only Japanese models.

I commute daily on a DRZ400 and every time I ride it I’m reminded of how it is a late ‘90s design. It does a good job as a commuter (I do about 75-100 miles per day) and does ok on dirt but it is underpowered, is short one gear in the transmission, and heavy for my tastes. I’ve been shopping for its replacement as of late and have found that the only motorcycles that meet my criteria of 60ish horsepower, 6 speeds, 250 pounds, and good on dirt are the European offerings. I continue to be baffled at why the Japanese don’t tap this market and offer their real off-road bikes like the WR450 in their dual sport lineup. They’re missing the boat in my opinion, as even the WR250 dual sport (which many people consider the best Japanese offering at the moment) is watered down compared to the off road version.

Just my observations from my point of view.

Is the KLX250 enough better to rationalize the extra cost? (about 1200 bucks) it is fuel injected, has better suspension. But would it make that much difference riding it around town?

And it weighs a bit over 300#

Last edited:
...would it make that much difference riding it around town?

Around town, no. Just puttering around town or country backroads the TW is perfect.

Want to go fast off-road? That KLX or Yamaha’s XT250 win hands down. They’re better motorcycles, but the fat-tired TDub has a cult following.

Check out some YouTube videos of TDubs to see what they’re capable of.

Just forget the whole thing and get a Honda Big Red 250ES. :)

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:
Is the KLX250 enough better to rationalize the extra cost? (about 1200 bucks) it is fuel injected,

With fuel injection you don't have to worry about the carbs spooging up during periods of inactivity. Yes, you can put Stabil in the tank, run it through and then drain the bowls, but that's still no guarantee that small passages won't clog. Gas today is total crap and will clog quickly. I personally won't own another carb'd bike again. Nope.

In fact, when I bought my bowrider, I specifically looked for a boat with MPI just to get away from carbs.

Is the KLX250 enough better to rationalize the extra cost? (about 1200 bucks) it is fuel injected, has better suspension. But would it make that much difference riding it around town?

And it weighs a bit over 300#

The TW, according to Yamaha’s site weighs 280. The difference is negligible in my opinion, for what you’re concerned about. The Grom on the other hand, is down around 230. That, and the sale price on them makes the grom win if you ask me.

But between a TW and the KLX I’d take the KLX every time. I think you’d be much happier with one, longer term.

In my opinion, weight is the biggest problem facing all the dual sports. I’m really not sure why the Japanese can’t seem to make a light bike but they all seem to weigh around 300 pounds or more.

Shopping comparing today, the choices
1. 2017 TW200 with 58 miles on discount @ $4731.53 out the door. (Tax and license included)
2. 2018 TW200 with 0 miles $6548.53 (T&L included)
3. 2018 Kawasaki KLX 250 new $5890 (T&L included)

Any difference in warrantees?

The TW, according to Yamaha’s site weighs 280. :)
In my opinion, weight is the biggest problem facing all the dual sports. I’m really not sure why the Japanese can’t seem to make a light bike but they all seem to weigh around 300 pounds or more.
Kawasaki KLX250 weighs 304 IAW their home page.

I have a street legal “Hawk 250” dual sport. It’s a Chinese motorcycle - the engine is a clone of an early Honda engine.

I paid $1500 for it brand new. It can carry me at 55 mph no problem.

I’ve ridden the Japanese options. They’re definitely a little more refined than my China hike but at 3-4X the price I’d hope so.

Kawasaki KLX250 weighs 304 IAW their home page.

Those two have a different focus. The TW is for noodling around the campsite, running into town, riding on the backroads, and cowtrailing. It's meant to be easy to ride and forgiving. The KLX is for more serious offroading, it's seat height is 35 inches, four inches higher than the TW.

For what your intended purpose is, the TW is ideal.

Those two have a different focus. The TW is for noodling around the campsite, running into town, riding on the backroads, and cowtrailing. It's meant to be easy to ride and forgiving. The KLX is for more serious offroading, it's seat height is 35 inches, four inches higher than the TW.

For what your intended purpose is, the TW is ideal.
In the "do we really need this mode".

I did it, bought used one, 07 with 1800 miles $2500.

Ad is already down, :(
Pictures soon.

I am Soooo Pizzed, I told the guy with the TW200 big wheel that I would bring the money and pick up the bike today between 9 and 10 O'clock.
WE get up early, drive to Marysville WA (hour and a half) Ring the guy bell, and when he answers the door, he tells me he sold the bike yesterday.

no calls to me or anything.

So I bought a brand new one. Just got home with it.

Attachments

• E6XUUUxBRDaaD%eaQVyrHg.jpg
    E6XUUUxBRDaaD%eaQVyrHg.jpg
    205.9 KB · Views: 24
  • Ijmsm+2PTnCtGZfer7d9%Q.jpg
    Ijmsm+2PTnCtGZfer7d9%Q.jpg
    304.9 KB · Views: 25
I am Soooo Pizzed, I told the guy with the TW200 big wheel that I would bring the money and pick up the bike today between 9 and 10 O'clock.
WE get up early, drive to Marysville WA (hour and a half) Ring the guy bell, and when he answers the door, he tells me he sold the bike yesterday.

no calls to me or anything.

So I bought a brand new one. Just got home with it.

People suck. That said, congrats on the nifty new bike, may you enjoy many fun miles and adventures together!

The CL ad expired, what bike was it?

I love my 2017 WR250R. I ride 1000cc sportbikes but wanted something light and low maintenance to hit local trails. It's not bad on the highway and I'm pretty sure it's light enough to go on a hitch rack.

@Tom D , @FastEddieB , I noticed the red band on the speedometer after 55mph, is going faster than 55 not recommended on that bike? Is going faster than 55 overspeeding the engine?

@JonH, what camera is that?

The CL ad expired, what bike was it?
2007 with 1800 miles, for $2650, he yanked the Ad 5 minutes after I called, Left me thinking I had bought it.
Oh well, he now knows what I think of a Sh--head, that can't keep their word.

oh well, I 'm over it.

@Tom D , @FastEddieB , I noticed the red band on the speedometer after 55mph, is going faster than 55 not recommended on that bike? Is going faster than 55 overspeeding the engine?

Not sure. On rolling hills full throttle usually results in 60-70 mph with zero drama.

The stock chain is junk. I went to a DID o-ring chain, and dropped 2 or 3 teeth on the rear sprocket. 1st is still plenty low and 5th is less “busy” and still usable.

@JonH, what camera is that?

It's the GoPro Fusion 360. It's the best helmet cam, monoscopic 360 4K camera.

I couldn't settle for 2D in VR so I tried a Vuze 4K 3D 360. It's stereoscopic and 4K per eye, which is nice for VR forward compatibility. Unfortunately you're locked into horrible stitching using proprietary software. I wanted to take this into the cockpit. If you put it in the right seat there would be stich lines through the left seat and the right window.

Attachments

• IMG_1279.JPG
    IMG_1279.JPG
    136.3 KB · Views: 3
I just bought the Kawasaki KLX250S and find it to be the best compromise of the Japanese DP bikes. Not as expensive or as tall as the WR250R, more gears and lighter than the DR-Z400S, lighter and better off road than the CRF250L. Also, looks like a dirt bike should look (to me). True, the European bikes are lighter and more powerful, but way more expensive.
Was at a KTM dealership yesterday and the one "leftover" 2018 350 DP bike with a few aftermarket goodies was over $11,000. I'm sure it would cream my little Kawasaki in nearly every category, but way too much to spend on a toy that only gets ridden 6 mos. out of the year. The Yamaha TW200 is a good machine for its intended purpose, as long as you're content with its limitations.

pictures

Attachments

• pc%aTBuSSuK3JCrubdQwDw.jpg
    pc%aTBuSSuK3JCrubdQwDw.jpg
    426.8 KB · Views: 16
  • V7pbzky8RJiV1tpG3S+8AQ.jpg
    V7pbzky8RJiV1tpG3S+8AQ.jpg
    274 KB · Views: 15
I predict you’ll find yourself grinning a lot at you putter around on that thing!

Let us know your first impressions!

One of my first and best mods was pivoting handlebar risers from ROX:

39712250152_4ea10dba92_c.jpg

Ergonomics are very individual, but the increased reach is easier on my elbows, and the increased height makes it more comfortable when standing.

Looks like a nice little scooter to putter around on. Don't forget to buy a good Snell rated helmet. Can't fix airplanes with a head busted open.

Looks like a nice little scooter to putter around on. Don't forget to buy a good Snell rated helmet. Can't fix airplanes with a head busted open.
Done, now the boots, gloves, jacket, and ??

Back