Body numbness in first flight?

History is good. I definitely wasn’t suggesting an ER visit for it.

We’ve had friends essentially pass out when visiting from Australia when we took them up Pikes Peak... :)

They were healthy, just not doing so well at 14,000 for a couple of hours.

Someone with some “on the edge” medical condition for O2 processing or transport in their blood or [insert list of stuff here] might find that a light aircraft ride up 2000-3000’ makes them feel “not so good”... is all I was sayin’.

It ain’t necessarily hyperventilation.
I’m in the camp of talking to a doctor about it whether it’s primary care or other. Hyperventilation makes the body feel different than it’s ever felt before. All the zebra stuff goes away rather quickly and you can get to the heart of the matter.

I am not an ER Doc, but as a Mortician, I have some knowledge of how the body works...

If it was hyperventilating, it was carbon dioxide, not carbon monoxide, that changed your blood acidity. This imbalance causes the symptoms you have mentioned. Sounds as though you were excited which caused, subconsciously, rapid exhaling.

Also, you can have Hypoxia and Hyperventilate all at the same time.

Last edited:
As an ER physician, I enjoy reading POA, a bunch of pilots arguing about how to fly a plane. What’s better is reading their medical advice!
At least we are trying to help..right or wrong..it is more than you offered.

Okay doc, let's forget the OP's specific case for a moment and talk hyperventilation. You're flying your SR22T up at 9500msl/8500agl with a 25yo otherwise seemingly healthy passenger up front. You dont have oxygen on board. The passenger starts hyperventilating and it's getting worse. You try @jallen0's method asking them to breathe slowly and calmly but they're past the point where they comply with those instructions. Do you reach for the barf bag and have them breathe into it? Is there another more helpful option you would use that we are not aware of while it takes you another 15min to get on the ground at the nearest airport?

Sinistar,

If the person is hyperventilating, have them breath in a bag slowly to balance the acidity in their blood. Also, carrying on a conversation with them; first to get their mind off the issue, and secondly, to control their breathing. THEY HAVE TO MUCH OXYGEN.

If the person has hypoxia, immediately lower the altitude as the air density (or lack of) can be the major cause. THEY DO NOT HAVE ENOUGH OXYGEN.

Hyperventilation. Breathing a little fast can be unnoticed and results in some blood chemistry changes that produce a tingling sensation in the extremities. It just means you were a bit excited...

That.

Do you ride motorcycles, horses, skydive, surf or anything like that?

Not to be negative but aviation might not be the best choice for you.

As an ER physician, I enjoy reading POA, a bunch of pilots arguing about how to fly a plane. What’s better is reading their medical advice!

No worries professional pilots feel the same way about docs talking about flying their Bos and cirrus ;)

Why is everyone making me find non-peer reviewed articles :) Here is one that I think may work. https://www.verywell.com/treating-hyperventilation-by-breathing-into-a-paper-bag-1298885
I don't recall anyone asking for peer reviews (but I have read each one, thanks BTW).

But all these articles make it seem as if there will be this incredibly high success rate by asking them to breathe calmly. I just don't see that. When they're past that point I would expect it to run away rather than be brought under control. So maybe that is where we are wrong.

Also, if this is now widely accepted why does the FAA via their AME's not speak up and overhaul what we are being taught if it is not effective or has a high likelihood of doing more harm than good?

As your latest link sort of eludes too..I suspect the paper bag is more a placebo (or maybe there's a better medical term). You know, tell some who's panicking and hyperventilating to"Calm down, relax, breath.." You get the finger and "I'm dying over" look. Now tell them that breathing in this bag will solve it. You sound like you know what you're doing (command presence, confidence, authority) and...they've probably heard of it before. Bag goes up to face, in a minute or so the spiral is broken.

I don't recall anyone asking for peer reviews (but I have read each one, thanks BTW). Mostly because I try to provide something more than just my opinion when trying to make a point.

Let me amend something that did not become apparant to me until after re-reading this thread. The initial stages of hyperventilation, which is really what my part of the discussion should have been about, you do end up blowing off CO2, which then triggers a cascade of symptoms. My input was geared towards a more critical ill patient and not the initial stages. That's my fault as I am more use to being on medical-based forums :) Here is a great abstract that talks a bit about the pathophysiology of hyperventilation syndrome. It's short :p ( https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10546483 ). For those that don't want to read it I'll include the last sentence: "The therapeutic approach to hyperventilation syndrome has several stages and/or degrees of intervention: psychological counselling, physiotherapy and relaxation, and finally drug therapy. Depending on the severity of the problem, one or more therapeutic strategies can be chosen."

So, to answer the a comment above, hyperventillation really is something that can be controlled by just calming the person down. In the ED we rarely even use oxygen in the initial stages anymore. In some ways it's like a child holding their breath. Let them do it, they will change shades of color and if they hold it long enough they will just pass out. Where they will then immediately resume normal breathing and quickly wake back up.

For the OP. You were excited, possibly slightly scared, and facing something unknown. Baring an unknown medical issue you simply "forgot" to breath regularly. If you get this same feeling in the future take 3-4 several slow deep breaths and the tingling, and feeling, should diminish. Most importantly, have fun and take some time to look out the window.

Ortiz94 What is your age, if you don't mind sharing?

Hey guys, recently took the leap to do my first flight with an instructor in a single piston engine Piper. I was honestly doing fine and tried to take control of the aircraft as much as possible from take off to cruising so as to not just be a spectator. But then when we turned around and started doing the descent to land, my body and arms were gradually getting number and number and I felt light headed/out of focus. As soon we hit the ground, I opened the door and immediately felt better, but it still took a while to fully recover. I've never experienced this feeling before.

Anyone have ideas on what it could have been? I really want to go for more flights and earn a license, but I see this as potential issue. This has definitely happened to other new pilots in training.

"Sounds like someones has a case of the Mondays."

I'm going to jump in where I don't belong, and go with hyperventilation and add nervous tension. In basic airborne training, it was common for many aspiring paratroopers, especially those who had never ridden in an airplane, to suffer those same symptoms. Also, nervous tension, which you may not be aware of, can tighten the neck muscles and cut off circulation to the brain. It will pass with experience. If, though, you feel it beginning again, immediately turn the controls over to the CFI. Close you eyes and recite a verse or count to 100 by 3's. In other words, just relax.

Back