Placards - The real deal

denverpilot

Tied Down
Display Name

Display name:
DenverPilot
So the other thread is going about required placards and how to figure out which ones your airplane needs, and the laws that create all of that...

This thread is about: Name a time when flying when a required placard saved your butt.

No, seriously. What did you miss in the manual or otherwise that you looked, saw a placard, and it reminded you about something that would have harmed you.

ASI color markings, don’t count. Too obvious. Probably for the same reason, flap speeds marked next to the flap control don’t, but maybe that one is allowable.

Neither does not getting in someone’s Experimental aircraft.

(Especially that sketchy Experimental Grumman that @SixPapaCharlie flies!) :)

like all sorts of other warning labels it’s about shifting liability.

You’re mental exercise assumes a familiar airplane. What about an unfamiliar one?

Do you use checklists? Why? Not smart enough to remember everything all the time? What if you fly multiple types in the same day? Does that change things?

During primary training my CFI yelled at me for putting down the first notch of flaps 15kts above the white arc marked on the ASI in a 172. I politely pointed at the 110kt placard next to the flap switch. Then he yelled at me for not putting it down sooner.

You’re mental exercise assumes a familiar airplane. What about an unfamiliar one?

Do you use checklists? Why? Not smart enough to remember everything all the time? What if you fly multiple types in the same day? Does that change things?

No it doesn’t. I asked a question and said nothing about your familiarity in the aircraft whatsoever.

like all sorts of other warning labels it’s about shifting liability.

To whom? PIC is already responsible for the outcome of the flight. It’s not a mattress tag.

The placard with the N-number is very handy, especially when renting from a small fleet of the same type.

That’s a great one. That placard is quite handy.

That led me to another interesting thought. Is the N-number placard required by law? I’m going to have to dig a bit on that.

Va, because when it gets bumpy and cargo items are bouncing off the ceiling I don't have time to look for a manual.

Here's the TCDS for the Cessna 180. Data Pertinent To All Models note 2 (starts on page 17) specifies required placards, and it takes several pages to cover the different models' requirements. Obviously the placards list gets longer for newer models. Probably due to advice from the legal department, but ultimately the only reason they'd care is that some dumbass pilot had a problem and claimed he didn't know better when he sued them. http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_G...8e1e465986257810004f5a7e/$FILE/5A6 Rev 67.pdf

Sporty's sells this one, which seems like it could save a life:

17594_3.jpg

This thread is about: Name a time when flying when a required placard saved your butt.
Define "saved your butt". By my definition, the only things that have ever saved my butt were paying attention to what the airplane was telling me and reverting to good training.

Define "saved your butt". By my definition, the only things that have ever saved my butt were paying attention to what the airplane was telling me and reverting to good training.

It’s purposefully an open ended question. If you think something saved your butt you know why. :)

Sporty's sells this one, which seems like it could save a life:

17594_3.jpg
In the early 60’s it was common to have gyros with the capability to “cage” them. And the common term was to uncage the gyros on the checklists. There was a similar posted add on checklist on some panels that read CAUTION - UNCAGE BRAIN BEFORE ENGAGING STARTER! Haven’t seen it in several years.

Va, because when it gets bumpy and cargo items are bouncing off the ceiling I don't have time to look for a manual.

When my airspeed indicator was overhauled, I had them add a tick mark at Va...quick and easy visual reminder when I start hitting potholes.

The Navion has an important one (not just for the PIC) that says not to leave the aircraft when the engine is running. On the Navion (at least the earlier ones like mine), you board by stepping off the FRONT of the wing which gives you about three feet of clearance with the Cuisinart up front.

Maybe a circuit breaker label? But no, never had a placard save my bacon, though the N number one was useful a couple of times.

The placard with the N-number is very handy, especially when renting from a small fleet of the same type.
Hence too the little number clicker thing in the yolk on Boeings. After too many pilots being like “what the heck is our flight number again” someone had an idea.

I once boarded a plane with this placard:

7177465628_ca142df78c_k.jpg

Two points for whoever identifies the aircraft.

I once boarded a plane with this placard:

7177465628_ca142df78c_k.jpg

Two points for whoever identifies the aircraft.
The bulkhead this is mounted on and the placard itself both look very classy, and probably part of a big plane. So I'll go whole hog with my guess: VC-25A

You get two points for identifying the aircraft. It, however, wasn't at Oshkosh. I was on board it when it was at DCA when Boeing received the Collier award for it.

7177499374_0f65e48aa9_n.jpg

More photos here: https://flic.kr/s/aHsjzhL8cq

It looked like that cruddy plastic stuff they make the walls out of and I figured the sticky placard looked too “marketing-esque”, temporary, and pretty, to be anything other than a brand new uncertified-as-yet airliner, so I lofted an air ball of 787. Hahaha.

OSH was just a guess as to where you had “boarded” it. :)

Back