Blind wire chafing protection?

Jim Willer

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Jim
Wiring under the panel. What then?

A service loop is supposed to be about 6" or as to allow for future ease of maintenance. In other words so the next guy can get the !@#$% thing out. And there are specs for bundle bends, loops etc.And there are specs for solid tie offs etc. And there are specs about free movement of wires a connections. Chafing etc.

So The question is this. If there is not enough room (Mooney) to do much more than push the loop up into a void and protect the wires from chafing, what method is best? Call it "blind chafing protection.

Loom? If anyone has an idea, pls respond with a way to track down the materials recommended.

Thanks!!

NOT putting big loops of extra wire in my planes, there simply isn't enough room for it. Nor am I using very old radios that are extremely difficult to remove wiring connectors from the trays. Never had any problem revising wiring later.

Service loops prevent moisture from collecting and traveling toward the termination. They also insure the connector is not under stress when installed. They are not for ease of removal. 6 inches of extra wire bundle will probably create problems.

A whole lot of the best practices are really geared towards larger aircraft. There is really no where on a some of these tiny personal aircraft where these practices are practical. My audio panel has some 20 shielded cables coming out of it and I was wondering how they heck it was going to fit

I use JT&T Flex-Guard split wire loom convoluted tubing extensively to bundle wires and prevent chaffing, and secure the tubing using tie-wraps. The tubing comes in different diameters to accommodate whatever number of wires and wire sizes are required in the bundle.

51DF5g4NvPL._SX300_.jpg

An alternative is Protect-Fast braided expandable wrap sold by Aircraft Spruce.

DEVICE-PFW.jpg

Back