No License just fly

brien23

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Brien
Years ago I was up at Big Lake, AK. did a prebuy on a plane noticed a J-3 with what appeared to be Chev mag wheels on it. I asked the local FBO IA what was that, he said half the planes up their haven't had an annual since they got their and half the pilots had no license. Is it still that way in out of the way airports in AK. Are their any other states that seem to have the anything goes.

I know of a few in Alabama, no pilot certificates anyway. Don't know about their planes. Local DPE knows too.

OK, nit-pickers, it's been pointed out in another thread that your pilot certificate meets the dictionary definition of "license." :rolleyes1:

There's no statute or regulation that requires us to use the same words that the FAA prefers.

Think there was a field approval for circle car wheels on some planes up there for a while. I've also heard the no liscense thing is a little over hyped up there.

"There's no statute or regulation that requires us to use the same words that the FAA prefers."
No....my certificate doesn't have that anywhere on it...

"There's no statute or regulation that requires us to use the same words that the FAA prefers."

Must be that small print at the bottom, next to the "English Proficient" endorsement. :D

Com'on now...how many of you nitpickers in general conversation with non aviation folk actually say:

"Yeah, I have a Pilot's' Certificate"

Bet that goes over real well in bars as a pickup line...but then again those that do say that are probably in bed by 8:30pm every night!

I do. But I'm a CFI so I try to use correct terms. But I understand why folks say license too, and don't really care which they use.

Must be that small print at the bottom, next to the "English Proficient" endorsement. :D
Merriam-Webster is a better reference for English proficiency than the FAA. :tongue:

Merriam-Webster is a better reference for English proficiency than the FAA. :tongue:

Yup, plus I think I had to pay $2 to have that endorsement, the only time I ever paid for a pilot license.

See what I did thar?

Com'on now...how many of you nitpickers in general conversation with non aviation folk actually say:

"Yeah, I have a Pilot's' Certificate"

Bet that goes over real well in bars as a pickup line...but then again those that do say that are probably in bed by 8:30pm every night!

You make it sound so cheap.

I've mentioned it before: My former neighbor, a multiple tour B-26 Martin Marauder pilot from WWII, commuted almost daily for 30 +years between KPOU and an airport near Albany, NY in a PA-11. He never had a PPL, or a medical. He saw no reason to get either, or as he said, "No reason to support the bureaucrats."
The day he retired, he put the plane up for sale and never flew again.
He worked for the FAA.

I guess I know couple of guys who probably have no medical and still seem to fly...never asked either...but between the heart attacks, minor strokes, and diabetes its sort of obvious. I knew one Montana rancher who kept a super cub in the barn to check cattle (28K Acres) that never got his civilian certification but was a Thud driver in Vietnam...did his own maintenance as well...it was just a another tool in the barn and had no N numbers.

The local guy was probably funnin you. Most of us think you guys from the lower 48 will believe about anything anyone tells you. Like CNN!
Is that a microaggression? Be careful, you'll get banned...

I guess I know couple of guys who probably have no medical and still seem to fly...never asked either...but between the heart attacks, minor strokes, and diabetes its sort of obvious. I knew one Montana rancher who kept a super cub in the barn to check cattle (28K Acres) that never got his civilian certification but was a Thud driver in Vietnam...did his own maintenance as well...it was just a another tool in the barn and had no N numbers.

Thud drivers should be able to anything they want in my book. They flew and went thru hell in Vietnam and deserve it

The local guy was probably funnin you. Most of us think you guys from the lower 48 will believe about anything anyone tells you. Like CNN!

Like when I tell people that the best bear protection is to not be the slowest runner in the group, and if you are the slowest, whack your buddy on the shin then run.... or how to tell the difference between wolf scat and bear scat*.....;)

I have known a few people that flew their plane out of annual and/or with out a pilot certificate or license. I also have known a couple people that flew without either license or annual and also had their plane taken away from them for repeated offenses. As well as a couple that did their own repair work without benefit of A&P certificate or sign off. The people I knew of lived in the bush, not around any big town.

These were just a few out of many, many private pilots that did everything as required.

I did know of one commercial pilot that flew Pt 135 and did not have a medical for 7 years. He got caught and it cost him considerable. Like never flying again.

(wolf scat is smallish and has fur in it. Bear scat is bigger, smells like pepper spray and has bear bells in it....)

I learned to fly in Alaska and kept airplanes there for many years. There was always a lot of non FAA approved flying going on everywhere, especially in the villages off the road system, which includes most of the state. If you were not operating commercially, the FAA pretty much left you alone. Also a lot of undocumented aircraft mods. I remember once going to look at a J-5 cub for sale, it had bush wheels, extended baggage, a 150 hp engine and looked great. Then I found out that there were no STCs or log entries for any of the mods, and it had been flying out of annual for quite a while. The seller couldn't understand why I was concerned.

Where you using that PP thingy-jiggy:

private pilot licence (PPL) or, in the United States, a private pilot certificate, permits the holder to act as pilot-in-command of an aircraft privately (not for remuneration).

It was 20 years ago. Haven't been back since.

FAR 61.3

"(l) Inspection of certificate. Each person who holds an airman certificate, medical certificate, authorization, or license required by this part must present it and their photo identification as described in paragraph (a)(2) of this section for inspection upon a request from:

(1) The Administrator;

(2) An authorized representative of the National Transportation Safety Board;

(3) Any Federal, State, or local law enforcement officer; or

(4) An authorized representative of the Transportation Security Administration."

So, if a law enforcement officer were to ask to see your pilots license, you'd be a smart a$$ and set them straight???

Your insurance company doesn't pay off when you need it.

Well in that case I'm guessing you wouldn't have any insurance on the plane. I can understand the mindset of someone wanting to keep flying and not letting the government tell you no.

From the Pilots Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge...
"The Aeronautics Branch of the Department of Commerce
began pilot certification with the first license issued on April
6, 1927. The recipient was the Chief of the Aeronautics
Branch, William P. MacCracken,
Jr.
[Figure 1-8]
(Orville
Wright, who was no longer an active flier, had declined the
honor.) MacCracken’s license was the first issued to a pilot
by a civilian agency of the Federal Government. Some 3
months later, the Aeronautics Branch issued the first Federal
aircraft mechanic license."

"
The minimum aeronautical experience requirements for a
recreational pilot license involve"
"part 61 dictates the required
minimum flight experience and knowledge-based training
necessary to gain a specific pilot’s license,"

And that's just from chapter 1...

Flying without ticket (or medical, or annual, or...) is not that unusual in the "lower 48".

That was not Kleenex you used there, nitpicker! It was "facial tissue"!

Back