My Attempt at a $115 ADS-B Receiver Build for Foreflight

I am running AVARE and have installed the External I/O Plugin. Using the RPi I'm able to see traffic but not weather. I have V0.2r1 of Stratux loaded.

What do I need to do to get weather?

I am running AVARE and have installed the External I/O Plugin. Using the RPi I'm able to see traffic but not weather. I have V0.2r1 of Stratux loaded.

In the I/O stream, are you seeing weather updates scroll by?

Do you have ADS-B weather turned on in Avare?

I have adsb weather turned on and I only see traffic in the I/O stream

What port are you listening to on your Android? I can't seem to get mine to work. Ran by my airport where the antenna is supposed to be and still got nothing other than some kind of clock and battery output. Only time I've gotten traffic is if I plug the antenna directly into my phone or tablet. Stratux wifi is working fine.

I believe it needs to be 4000
Tried that and 43211. I'll take it up in the plane tomorrow Wx permitting before I decide it needs to be worked on. All of my components test out as working properly so it should be working as a team

I did follow the directions, exactly as written by the OP. Multiple times. Loading Raspberry was not a problem, connected the HDMI cables, got both the command line and the gui. Used the imagewriter on Win7 to load the stratux image, which overwrites Raspbian on the SD, then connected the HDMI cables - nothing but a black screen.

Yes, it should be simple. But for some reason, it's not.

What are the lights on the pi doing? Sounds like a corrupt image.

What are the lights on the pi doing? Sounds like a corrupt image.

A separate thread was started and Murphey's is working now. (Just leaving this here as a closing marker for that, since it wasn't obvious in this thread.)

By the way, for those interested in NOT having to pull the power plug, there's a USB-microUSB with an integrated switch. Various sources (all from China) and dirt cheap except - paying shipping from China.

This one has a 5 ft cable (all over ebay and amazon, available now) which means the battery doesn't need to be velcro'd to the RPi:
http://www.amazon.com/Raspberry-Micro-USB-Cable-Switch/dp/B00GGX94JI

From HK but a short cable. $1.95 cost plus $1.99 shipping cost for any number, 1 to 100 or more.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-to-Micr...7978180&pid=100005&rk=2&rkt=2&sd=321797911781

Last edited:
By the way, for those interested in NOT having to pull the power plug, there's a USB-microUSB with an integrated switch.
Or, simply SSH to the device using a free SSH client such as ServerAuditor and issue:

sudo shutdown -h now

(or even simpler)

sudo init 0

You'll see the lights go off on the antenna dongle and WiFi adapter. Then you can safely pull power.

Or, simply SSH to the device using a free SSH client such as ServerAuditor and issue:

sudo shutdown -h now

(or even simpler)

sudo init 0

You'll see the lights go off on the antenna dongle and WiFi adapter. Then you can safely pull power.

PuTTY has been the typical SSH client for years if you're stuck using Winderz. Add KiTTY if you need lots of tabs.

sudo shutdown -h now

(or even simpler)

sudo init 0

Interesting....I run an SSH client on the iPad. I wonder how many other people do? Will have to try this but....

How do you restart with no power?

How do you restart with no power?
If you shutdown the StraTux server via SSH there is still power going to the Pi, but you've lost your WiFi connection. So at that point unplug the power, plug back in and let the system reboot.

However, if while up and running you find a need to to restart the StraTux, you could issue:

sudo shutdown -r now

Last edited:
If you shutdown the StraTux server via SSH there is still power going to the Pi, but you've lost your WiFi connection. So at that point unplug the power, plug back in and let the system reboot.

However, if while up and running you find a need to to restart the StraTux, you could issue:

sudo shutdown -r now

But this is a restart. How to power it back up when there's no wifi?

I did a 2 hour test of the battery on Saturday with wifi running, and the 4 lights are still bright.

Tried that and 43211. I'll take it up in the plane tomorrow Wx permitting before I decide it needs to be worked on. All of my components test out as working properly so it should be working as a team
I was able to go up today and it was working just fine on 4000. Looks like it might work on 43211 as well. I was receiving signal on it just didn't got back to Avare. Will check neck time

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Ok, I know I've been kind of slow on this guys, but life...couldn't be busier right now.

This is where I'm at with this case design. This assumes one software radio and the antenna that comes with it. There's certainly improvements to be made as far as antennas go but I'll tackle that after I have some of these flying.

The case isn't done yet, I still need to add vents, but it's getting really close. I've 3D printed many iterations of it and it prints quite nicely.

The case is designed so that it's easy to service, the SD card is accessible without much effort but otherwise covered up, and can accommodate some really fat USB power cables.

Once I get the case how I want it I'll start diving into the software. My goal with the software is to make it 100% tolerant to being powered off. In addition I want to add external LED indicators to the case that will show if the unit has power and if it is receiving ADS-B signals.

Keep in mind I am far from an artist or 3D model expert. This is about as pretty as I can design something :)

KFPl9MZ.png

dgqD1AR.png

UX8uUxm.png

LhHiGYo.png

nOrBLm1.jpg

0qH6GGf.png

SD Card, pretty sure it'll be easy to remove/install with a tweezers.:
H1kpe0S.png

Last edited:
Is there a way to get this to power the AHRS so I can get attitude information!!??? Please say yes!

Just ordered everything including the on off cable $110.41 with prime!

Last edited:
Is there a way to get this to power the AHRS so I can get attitude information!!??? Please say yes!

I believe they're close.. Gps is getting perfected now and I'm sure ahrs will follow. You'll need to order the ahrs/gps chip to add to the pi. Right now they're only available from China, so get your order in!

Am I the only one who thinks reddit is absolutely impossible to follow? I was able to find one comment about the GPS/AHRS process. So much awesome information in such a sloppy format. I got the GPS chip ordered 46 dollars shipped from China

Last edited:
Am I the only one who thinks reddit is absolutely impossible to follow? I was able to find one comment about the GPS/AHRS process. So much awesome information in such a sloppy format. I got the GPS chip ordered 46 dollars shipped from China

You are not the only one.
I don't get it.
But it's a bit better since having found my way out into the hallway where I can see the whole collection of related threads.
It's a mess.

Details, please. Model, website, etc.

Yes this is the one I ordered. As far as details I'm struggling to follow the reddit format I'm really hoping someone can post the process in this thread. I'm also a little confused as to what I need to get the second antenna frequency?

Nothing. just plug in another dongle and antenna, open a web browser, go to 192.168.10.1, and enable 1090ES.

Also, on that same page, you can enable your GPS when you plug that in. Mine seems to be working for me.
GPSViaUSB.jpg

Yes that beautiful rubbermaid is temporary until I find a better home.

Nothing. just plug in another dongle and antenna, open a web browser, go to 192.168.10.1, and enable 1090ES.

Also, on that same page, you can enable your GPS when you plug that in. Mine seems to be working for me.
View attachment 41521

Yes that beautiful rubbermaid is temporary until I find a better home.

Nice! Can you post a pic of how you have it setup in there.

Last edited:
Yah, so I ordered a second one of these:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00P2UOU72/ref=cm_sw_su_dp

and of course the way-cool GPS thingee:
http://www.reyax.com/Module/GPS/RY835AI/RY835AI.pdf

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RY835AI-10H...e-pressure-Compass-Gyro-sensors-/181566850426

...but I realized the two dongles couldn't fit side-by-side, because the plastic sticks out too far.

So here's where you deviate from what I did. I ordered two of these, just for clearance, Clarence:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GS6I7LO?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

That worked as far as having clearance.

However, currently I'm having power issues. The pi won't boot with everything connected. I have to boot with one dongle, and then plug in the other. It occasionally shuts down now that I've added GPS.

I SHOULD have gone with a powered USB hub. I have no recommendation, but I can look for a popular one on the reddit thing.

The next thing is to order some headers and jumper wires, to enable the AHRS (attitude heading reference system) part of the GPS chip. Order something like these, I'm guessing:

EDIT: maybe don't order the below; they're 19mm and awfully tall. see later post.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C0Q5XZ4?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

I'm actually thinking I don't need 19mm, and 11mm would be better:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FR19WQA?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

and then jumper wires:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HUH9GOC?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

...and you'll need a soldering gun. I ordered those, hope that's right, I'll report when they arrive.

Last edited:
That cable you linked is for usb 3.0 I think the dongles And power supply are 2.0 that could be causing the power issues? Thank you for all the links I got everything ordered but it sounds like a new power source is going to be needed.

That cable you linked is for usb 3.0 I think the dongles And power supply are 2.0 that could be causing the power issues? Thank you for all the links I got everything ordered but it sounds like a new power source is going to be needed.

sonuvva biscuit! I wonder! I didn't think it would matter, but what do I know!

thanks!

Any ideas what would happen if I plugged the RPi into the 12v cig lighter in the airplane instead of a portable battery?

Well, it might just plain work as mine did.

I've yet to use the battery pack.

Any ideas what would happen if I plugged the RPi into the 12v cig lighter in the airplane instead of a portable battery?

I was thinking this too. They make 12v to 5v usb chargers That run off cigarette lighters I have one in my truck. I don't know how it would know the difference?

Back