Is there a cloud in this photo

SixPapaCharlie

May the force be with you
Display Name

Display name:
Sixer
Different forum. PM. "Shouldn't be doing that"

Is there a "cloud" in this photo?
Does the alleged "cloud" warrant observing rules of a given airspace?

attachment.php

Attachments

• cloud.jpg
    cloud.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 424
That's not a cloud. It's a fart.

The point of cloud clearance is to avoid a hidden IFR flight popping out at you. When you can see right through the "cloud," that's not possible.

I've seen F-150's put out more of a "cloud" than that.

As my CFI said..."Can you see if there is an airplane on the other side? If so, then it is not a cloud!"

Last edited:
That's not a cloud. It's a fart.

The point of cloud clearance is to avoid a hidden IFR flight popping out at you. When you can see right through the "cloud," that's not possible.
Or a non-participating, not squawking VFR flight in IMC. Talk about pucker factor!

Looks like another good VFR flying day.

The way I figure it, if you can see the required visibility distance through it, it's not a cloud. After all, that whole section is about being able to see and avoid, and if you can see through it, you can avoid what's on the other side.

He wasn't talking about the cloud...he was talking about getting in a Cirrus! :wink2:

Hey I am working my way up to a 172 or possibly something a little more along the lines of a Tri-pacer. I have to get buy in from the Mrs. for the latter.

We'll see. I'm getting close.

This thread made me wonder about some video's I've seen of people 'cloud surfing', dodging in and out of spaces between clouds aerobatic style. It seems that that would be illegal. Is there any legal way to do that? (it sure does look cool, but how do they know a plane isn't gonna pop out and collide)

I think you have to be on an IFR plan, request block altitude, and have an "issue"

This thread made me wonder about some video's I've seen of people 'cloud surfing', dodging in and out of spaces between clouds aerobatic style. It seems that that would be illegal. Is there any legal way to do that? (it sure does look cool, but how do they know a plane isn't gonna pop out and collide)

Two ways to do it legally:

1) Class G: Rule is "Clear of Clouds". If you're in a G->14,500 area, and you're rated, current and equipped, you can go through the clouds.

2) IFR Block Altitude, Block Airspace: You can get a clearance for a block of altitude and a block of airspace. ATC will keep other IFR aircraft out of that block of airspace. I've not actually seen it for this purpose, but I know sometimes on SAR flights in IMC (so searching electronically for an ELT), you can do this as well so you can get a block of airspace to search in. For example, you could be cleared for between 8,000 and 12,000 between the 090 and 110 radials of XYZ VOR DME 20 to DME 30

It's legal, provided you're 1000' above, 500' below and 2000' laterally away from said clouds. ;)

Sometimes your assigned IFR altitude puts you right at the to of the could deck, so you can have a little fun provided you stay on course and altitude. Also, during the summertime, it's not unusual to ask for deviations around build ups. That makes for some fun "surfing", particularly when the clouds are benign build-ups.

Also, provided you don't enter the cloud (i.e. remain clear of clouds), you can do this VFR in Class Bravo airspace, as long as you have three miles of flight visibility.

2) IFR Block Altitude, Block Airspace: You can get a clearance for a block of altitude and a block of airspace. ATC will keep other IFR aircraft out of that block of airspace. I've not actually seen it for this purpose, but I know sometimes on SAR flights in IMC (so searching electronically for an ELT), you can do this as well so you can get a block of airspace to search in. For example, you could be cleared for between 8,000 and 12,000 between the 090 and 110 radials of XYZ VOR DME 20 to DME 30

Yep...this too. Also done when doing instrument training in actual instrument conditions.

Class B or Class G (below 1200 AGL, daytime).

In Class B, IFR traffic is kept separated. In Class G, there is no guarantee. It's possible to pop out of a cloud deck on an instrument approach at 700 AGL, and encounter legal NORDO VFR traffic in the pattern immediately.

Different forum. PM. "Shouldn't be doing that"

Is there a "cloud" in this photo?
Does the alleged "cloud" warrant observing rules of a given airspace?

attachment.php

That is some hard core IMC right there! Did you think of doing a 180 or declaring an emergency? I hope you had your hand on the chute!

That is some hard core IMC right there! Did you think of doing a 180 or declaring an emergency? I hope you had your hand on the chute!

Well I couldn't see the cloud anyway.
It is a Cirrus so eyes inside at all times.

I think the big, ugly SOB in the right seat ate Mexican food for breakfast and the left seat is trying to climb out of the fumes.

I am the big SOB.

Thanks again, Bryan. It was a blast and look forward to going out again in the future. That is a great airplane.

Last edited:

WWYD - What Would Yeager Do???

Back