Bread Loaf Ends (And other money saving tips)

Blech. The heels are only good to sop up soup. Other than that I use them only to keep the other slices of bread fresh.

I actually like ramen. I just don't eat it very often because it's terribly unhealthy. I like to mix in frozen veggies and sprinkle the chicken flavoring on top.

I hate the heels. My dog loves em though.

I think all my ideas have been taken- I use heels for grilled ham and cheese, grilled cheese, grilled PBJ, hotdog bun substitutes, garlic bread, and tearing up as filler/binder in other recipes.

Heels are the best part of the loaf. I think most any crock pot/slow cooker type meal is a good money saver in college. Sure, it may run $8-$15 for ingredients, but you can make enough in one batch to feed you for a week. Potato soup, beans & ham, pot roasts, chili, etc all can be pretty much just tossed in the crock pot and left to cook. Potato soup being about the most labor intensive due to that whole potato-peeling thing, lol.

The only problem with that is you eat the same thing for a week.:rofl:;) if you have 4-5 roommates in a house though the work really well because you just leave them on the counter and people eat it when they want.

The only problem with that is you eat the same thing for a week.:rofl:;) if you have 4-5 roommates in a house though the work really well because you just leave them on the counter and people eat it when they want.

How is that different from eating PBJ or Bologna every day? Or ramen? If you're interested in saving money, it's a great way to do it. By all means make a smaller crock pot meal and space it out over a week with other items to break up the monotony.

How is that different from eating PBJ or Bologna every day? Or ramen? If you're interested in saving money, it's a great way to do it. By all means make a smaller crock pot meal and space it out over a week with other items to break up the monotony.

If you are creative you can eat cheap and different at every meal.

The funny thing is, I still live by the frugality rules I learned in college. :lol:

Some of you guys assume college kids could afford hamburger!

I'd say make mini pizzas. You probably have spaghetti sauce already because spaghetti is a typical cheap and filling meal. You can make a full pot for $2. Anyways, take the spaghetti sauce and slather the ends. Add toppings of whatever is left in the fridge. I always had an onion and a little shredded cheese. Bake in the oven until cheese is melted. 350 degrees should be fine.

Last edited:
Instant meal, just add water.
knorrrice.jpg

*or I should say add water, boil, and simmer 7 minutes.

Instant meal, just add water.

*or I should say add water, boil, and simmer 7 minutes.

Knorr makes good sauces and sides. Add wine or beer instead of some or all the water often improves them.

You know... if you have the appropriate clothing, you probably could get free meals by advertising your availability as a guest to accompany unattached individuals to functions where food will be served.

Rich

You know... if you have the appropriate clothing, you probably could get free meals by advertising your availability as a guest to accompany unattached individuals to functions where food will be served.

Rich

You mean a gigolo?

Back