2) Drink a cup of coffee
3) 15 minutes later, write a check and leave with a properly maintained
vehicle.

Money spent:
Oil Change: $20.00
Coffee: $1.00
Total: $21.00

Oil Change instructions for Men:

1) Wait until Saturday, drive to auto parts store and buy a case of oil, filter, kitty litter, hand cleaner and a scented tree, write a check for $50.00.
2) Stop by 7/11 and buy a case of beer, write a check for $20, drive home.
3) Open a beer and drink it.
4) Jack car up. Spend 30 minutes looking for jack stands.
5) Find jack stands under kid's pedal car.
6) In frustration, open another beer and drink it.
7) Place drain pan under engine.
8) Look for 9/16 box end wrench.
9) Give up and use crescent wrench.
10) Unscrew drain plug.
11) Drop drain plug in pan of hot oil: splash hot oil on you in process. Cuss.
12) Crawl out from under car to wipe hot oil off of face and arms. Throw
kitty litter on spilled oil.
13) Have another beer while watching oil drain.
14) Spend 30 minutes looking for oil filter wrench.
15) Give up; crawl under car and hammer a screwdriver through oil filter and twist off.
16) Crawl out from under car with dripping oil filter splashing oil everywhere from holes. Cleverly hide old oil filter among trash in trash can to avoid environmental penalties. Drink a beer.
17) Install new oil filter making sure to apply a thin coat of oil to gasket surface.
18) Dump first quart of fresh oil into engine.
19) Remember drain plug from step 11.
20) Hurry to find drain plug in drain pan.
21) Drink beer.
22) Discover that first quart of fresh oil is now on the floor. Throw kitty litter on oil spill.
23) Get drain plug back in with only a minor spill. Drink beer.
24) Crawl under car getting kitty litter into eyes. Wipe eyes with oily rag used to clean drain plug.
Slip with stupid crescent wrench tightening drain plug and bang knuckles on
frame removing any excess skin between knuckles and frame.
25) Begin cussing fit.
26) Throw stupid crescent wrench.
27) Cuss for additional 5 minutes because wrench hit bowling trophy.
28) Beer.
29) Clean up hands and bandage as required to stop blood flow.
30) Beer.
31) Dump in five fresh quarts of oil.
32) Beer.
33) Lower car from jack stands.
34) Move car back to apply more kitty litter to fresh oil spilled during any missed steps.
35) Beer.
36) Test drive car.
37) Get pulled over: arrested for driving under the influence.
38) Car gets impounded.
39) Call loving wife, make bail.
40) 12 hours later, get car from impound yard.

Money spent:
Parts $50.00
DUI $2500.00
Impound fee $75.00
Bail $1500.00
Beer $20.00
Total $4,145.00
(But you know the job was done right!!!!)

Ya'll sure change oil a funny way down in Texas.

Enjoy.

-JD

Oil Change instructions for Women:

1) Pull up to Jiffy Lube when the mileage reaches 3000 miles since the last
oil change.
2) Drink a cup of coffee
vehicle.

You calling me a woman? I've been using Jiffy Lube for many years, I just bring my own Wix filter and inspect while it's on the pit, and I never pay for the coffee.

I solved most of those problems by installing a Fram quick change connector to the oil pan. Unscrew the cap. screw on the connector with 18" of hose (one end is in the drain pan).

I use a pump... bring it right up the dip stick tube. For diesel, it sure is a LOT cleaner! Oh, and I have a box of latex gloves. Otherwise, my fingernails show evidence of an oil change halfway until the next change. :)

As for a DUI, no worries! My bottle of Kaluha has lasted more than eighteen months thus far. And, it's only half empty. The same can't be said for Coke purchases.

Jiffy lube for me. Except I am getting a little tired of all the other crap they are trying to sell me. Last time they come up wanting to do an engine oil cleaning. I ask what is that and they respond since there is some sludge on my oil cap that I should clean out the engine as there is other sludge in there. I remind them the car has almost 160,000 and the cap is discolored because it 13 years old and to just change the oil.

I use a pump... bring it right up the dip stick tube. For diesel, it sure is a LOT cleaner! Oh, and I have a box of latex gloves. Otherwise, my fingernails show evidence of an oil change halfway until the next change. :)

But you still have to deal with the filter! GM designed mine so no matter how neat you are it makes a mess taking it off.

Someone else changes the oil on your vehicles??!! :eek:

The last round of someone else changing mine out of my sight they didn't even touch the filter and charged for it anyway. So I insisted I watch as they fix their screwup but they said they're professionals and that's not allowed and to go sit in the waiting room. The conversation got ugly after that. So I drove off and did it myself at home. My only question at that point was since when did they start making 10W40 black straight from the bottle? 2 miles should not make the oil black.

No one touches my vehicles unless it's something I can't fix and then I'll be standing over them like a hawk.

But you still have to deal with the filter! GM designed mine so no matter how neat you are it makes a mess taking it off.

That's OK, though - it drains directly onto the exhaust, so it burns off in a little while. :D

Ahhh.... yes... the filter. It's mouned on top, in front, nearly level with the top of the engine. Take a cap of, pull out the filter, pump out the excess oil and put another in. Change the seals. Put the cap back on. Five minutes? Done! :D

Someone else changes the oil on your vehicles??!! :eek:

The last round of someone else changing mine out of my sight they didn't even touch the filter and charged for it anyway. So I insisted I watch as they fix their screwup but they said they're professionals and that's not allowed and to go sit in the waiting room. The conversation got ugly after that. So I drove off and did it myself at home. My only question at that point was since when did they start making 10W40 black straight from the bottle? 2 miles should not make the oil black.

No one touches my vehicles unless it's something I can't fix and then I'll be standing over them like a hawk.

The Kwiky Lube places never give me any hassel about being in the shop or in the pit. I use em mostly as a time/convienience thing, plus they have the powered grease gun at the ready.

Ahhh.... yes... the filter. It's mouned on top, in front, nearly level with the top of the engine. Take a cap of, pull out the filter, pump out the excess oil and put another in. Change the seals. Put the cap back on. Five minutes? Done! :D

Holy how, either you run a really, realy, really old Chevy or one of those fancy Saab or Mercedes type cars if your oil filter has a changeable element.

The latter is a very expensive filter.

Holy how, either you run a really, realy, really old Chevy or one of those fancy Saab or Mercedes type cars if your oil filter has a changeable element.

The latter is a very expensive filter.
Volkswagen Jetta! :D

Strangely, Mercedes is selling less and less diesels. VW is selling more and more.

Years ago I figured the best way to change the oil is not to. Just back off the valve covers a bit. An added bonus is that coat of oil works great as a rust preventative treatment. Decreased amount of oil smoke lets me know it's time to add another quart.

Years ago I figured the best way to change the oil is not to. Just back off the valve covers a bit. An added bonus is that coat of oil works great as a rust preventative treatment. Decreased amount of oil smoke lets me know it's time to add another quart.
Further evidence of California's educational system and even more scary they get to vote! :D

The Kwiky Lube places never give me any hassel about being in the shop or in the pit. I use em mostly as a time/convienience thing, plus they have the powered grease gun at the ready.

In Milwaukee, I used to use a Pennzoil super-quicky-lube where you didn't even get out of your car. Saved them from needing a customer lounge, and they got done FAST. One guy under the car, one or two above, and one taking your credit card. $9.95 at the time, probably not so any more. :( And did I mention fast? I once got out of there with an oil change and a new set of wiper blades in eight minutes. Not bad.

That's why I started using Jiffy Lube almost 20 years ago. Dodge did the same thing on my 3/4 ton van. Even worse, the drain plug was right behind the crossover pipe, so you couldn't put a socket on it. Drained right onto the pipe. Then the oil filter drained onto part of the exhaust system. Idiot who designed it obviously had never done an oil change in his life. I got tired of the mess on the driveway from the dripping, so JL and I became well aquainted.

...I just bring my own Wix filter and inspect while it's on the pit, and I never pay for the coffee.

When I sold auto parts (back in the days when there were still real parts houses), we sold only Wix filters, had a neat display with a Wix, and a Fram, cut open.

The good stuff does not cost that much more, but it *is* that much better.

Cannot hardly find Wix anymore- I need to find 'em again, since I need my Caddy to last 200,000 miles if I am ever to afford an airplane!

Cannot hardly find Wix anymore- I need to find 'em again, since I need my Caddy to last 200,000 miles if I am ever to afford an airplane!
I bought a whole case for my Jetta diesel from an Atlanta warehouse that handles both dealers, shops and the little guy.

Same here. In less time that it takes to drive to the Jiffy Lube I have the oil sucked out, the filter changed (use a plastic bag to drop the filter into - saves the mess) fill 'er back up with oil and I'm done. Take the used oil to the airport and put it into the used oil tank there when changing the oil in the plane.

Now, you wanna talk about making a mess - changing the oil in the plane can be one if the oil bottle with the side cut out to catch the oil from the filter falls from it's precarious perch onto the ground. THAT is a mess.

Wow. Sounds like some of us need a lesson in oil changing on the cars. With my truck, I don't even need ramps. I just toss a big piece of cardboard on the ground, slide 10 quart catch basin under the pan, pop the 5/8" socket on the plug, and let it drain. While it's draining I clean off the plug, put a smaller basin under the front of the truck, open the skid plate with a screwdriver, and take off the filter. Smear a film of oil on the gasket and put the new filter on. About that time the oil in the pan is down to a slow drip, and the plug goes back in. 5 quarts of oil into the fill tube, and I'm done. Takes as long to put the oil back in as it does to change the filter and drain the oil. Takes less than 10 minutes. It takes me 8 just to get to the nearest oil change place. Oil gets poured into a 5 gallon pail, and taken to the maintenance building at the airport so they have heat.

Total cost is less than 20 bucks, and the total mess cleanup requires a whopping two sheets of paper towels. One which I used to clean off the drain plug, and one to wipe my hands.

^^^^ Sounds like me . . . . . I live 25 minutes from ANY service station. It's just easier to do it myself. I rotate my own tires also. Yep, air wrenches included. Hell . . . . You not going to believe it, but my WIFE changes her own oil. Yes, she does have a sister but she's married and doesn't change oil.

That's been my fear whenever I see others drive my car over a pit. FWIW, I suspect the customer drove that, because in my former, girly days, I used to use Jiffy Lube and they always made me pull it in.

When I sold auto parts (back in the days when there were still real parts houses), we sold only Wix filters, had a neat display with a Wix, and a Fram, cut open.

The good stuff does not cost that much more, but it *is* that much better.

Carquest Autoparts stores house brand is a relabled Wix filter. I cut one open to check.

Enjoy.

-JD

Oil Change instructions for Women:

1) Pull up to Jiffy Lube when the mileage reaches 3000 miles since the last
oil change.
2) Drink a cup of coffee
vehicle.

Money spent:
Oil Change: $20.00
Coffee: $1.00
Total: $21.00
That's how it works between the divorce & remarriage.
Then it's the other side of
39) Call loving wife, make bail.

Mine is the same way. It's the 2.2L GM Ecotec. The filter is mounted directly over the exhaust and there is no possible way I have figured to remove it without spilling oil on the exhaust. Not only that it's a pain in the ass to get at.

That said--I have no life--all kinds of free time so I always do it myself. It usually results in a decent mess though.

You not going to believe it, but my WIFE changes her own oil. Yes, she does have a sister but she's married and doesn't change oil.

Well, I have no problem believing it! I can (and sometimes, though not always do) change the oil on my car. I can also manage to change a tire thankyouverymuch. :D

I'm actually surprised at how many men can't manage to do simple maintenance things on their vehicles. I listened to another officer spend a half hour on the radio one night at 3 in the morning helping the dispatcher try to find someone else to come change the tire on his patrol car. I finally got tired of it and went and changed it for him. He never lived that down.

My brother-in-law is NOT a handy man. I had to go show his 16 year old son how to install his new stereo with ultra-large sub-woofers and amp in the car they bought him for Christmas because dad didn't have a clue. My sister is the handy person around that house. Not a ceiling fan, or light fixture in the place that either she or I didn't hang. He's good at ironing clothes though. :D

I'm actually surprised at how many men can't manage to do simple maintenance things on their vehicles.

IMHO, you shouldn't be able to get a driver's license if you can't change a tire or a headlight or check all the fluids (and know what's supposed to go in which reservoir) or know how to jump-start a vehicle. :no:

IMHO, you shouldn't be able to get a driver's license if you can't change a tire or a headlight or check all the fluids (and know what's supposed to go in which reservoir) or know how to jump-start a vehicle. :no:

Whew! Since I can handle all of those things..I guess I'll get to hang on to my DL. :D

Yeah, except on some mid 80s GM/Chevy model, the changing of the headlight required taking off the entir front clip. Not that one couldn't do it, although it could be a two person job in having to put it back on.

Yeah, except on some mid 80s GM/Chevy model, the changing of the headlight required taking off the entir front clip. Not that one couldn't do it, although it could be a two person job in having to put it back on.
And in our Acura, it's a $400 job. I'm an uncoordinated wimp. I'll have them do it.

CFI friend of mine had a 16-year old daughter get her driver's license and immediately ask Dad for the keys to the family car. He told her she'd have to pass HIS driving test first.

First, he had her change the oil and plugs, then they took the car out on the highway toward JFK on a busy Saturday. Told her to pull over and change the left-front tire as cars whizzed by. She finished the job and he told her, "Just pull out into this traffic and take us home." She sat and waited for 1/2 hour for a big enough break in the traffic. When they got home he gave her a brand-new set of keys.

I'm envious of anyone who can get their wife to even notice the mileage to get the oil changed. If I didn't change the oil in my wife's car she'd still be driving on the factory oil (at 100K miles) - guaranteed.

my wife's car has the electronic nag to "service soon" every 2500 miles every time she starts it up.

my wife's car has the electronic nag to "service soon" every 2500 miles every time she starts it up.
Mine nags me to change brakes. But, they wear so unevenly I'll change the right front three months before the sensor finally detects to change the left front.

Just hope she never comes in and says something like... "There's this scraping noise and that other light that looks like the 'oil change light' is on."

Back