Changing the oil--Women v Men

I'm envious of anyone who can get their wife to even notice the mileage to get the oil changed. If I didn't change the oil in my wife's car she'd still be driving on the factory oil (at 100K miles) - guaranteed.

Reminds me of this woman who sat behind me at a factory training course. The subject of Mx of the desoldering units came up, and the question was asked, how often do you change the oil on your vehicle. Andy was trying to make a comparison between routine maintenance on your vehicle, and the machine. I said I'm bad and go 4-5 thousand between changes, but a lot of my driving at the time was highway. The woman behind me says she changes it when the oil light comes on. Now, I'm not talking the new models that say, "Oil Change Due", but the old style idiot light that showed the oil pressure was too low, or temp too hot. How many miles was on her car when the light came on? Over 60,000.

Of course she's also the same one that attempted to change out the tip on the soldering iron as soon as she turned it off. Lets see...700ºF piece of metal, touched to human skin. Hmmmmmm. She was also blonde.

^^^^ Sounds like me . . . . . I live 25 minutes from ANY service station. It's just easier to do it myself. I rotate my own tires also. Yep, air wrenches included.

I do all my own, including tire rotation, but I don't have the air tools, just old fashioned hand tools.

Drive to the tire shop, 20min, wait to get it put on the lift, 30min minimum, 10min to rotate the tires, 20min to drive home, and hand them money.

Me, I do it in 20min tops, and while I'm doing it, I inspect all fo my pads, check brake hoses for cracking, check CV boots for cracking and leakage, check tie rod ends and all ball joints, etc.

I like the piece of mind putting my own eyeball on all that stuff every 5k.

Back