Ipad 1, what's it worth?

cathead

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
cathead
With the new ipads coming out, I guess it's time for me to think about upgrading my original ipad 1. It is an ipad 1 32 gig with 3g. It was bought brand new and is in perfect condition, what's it worth?

Check your local craigslist, but I doubt you will get more than $150, even if that.

With the new ipads coming out, I guess it's time for me to think about upgrading my original ipad 1. It is an ipad 1 32 gig with 3g. It was bought brand new and is in perfect condition, what's it worth?

Exactly what someone will pay for it. Put it on CL and see what happens.

The highest priced auction on eBay at the moment for a 3G/32GB that has any actual bids is $112.50 with 3 hours remaining. I think this is about right... you should expect to clear around $100 after shipping and fees. Maybe if you can find a local buyer on Craigslist you can save a bit and get $125.

Realistically the first gen iPad has little value because it was crippled with just 256MB of RAM, and has struggled mightily with the more recent iOS versions (and even then, I think it's still stuck at iOS 5).

Now, as to why Apple is still going to continue selling iPad 2's for $399 new, I have no idea, when you can buy an Apple-refurb (virtually brand new) iPad 4 for $379 that gives you retina display and tons more power....

Now, as to why Apple is still going to continue selling iPad 2's for $399 new, I have no idea

Likely a few crates of new product left in a dark dusty corner somewhere....

Likely a few crates of new product left in a dark dusty corner somewhere....

No, in that case they would still have crates of iPad 3's and 4's available as well, but have never sold those products as "new" once the successor was released. I think they're just trying to have a non-Retina alternative of both iPad sizes available. It's just unfortunate that the iPad 2 is their only option to do that, because it's grossly overpriced at $399. Compared to both the competition and to the rest of the iPad product line. Oh well.

Just finished repairing my cracked screen, new WiFi antenna and a new charge jack on my iPad 2 and noticed there were no "iPad 1" parts on the website I got parts from\.

I have the same model. I think you could get $85 on Gazelle as of last week. I think I'm just going to hold on to mine as a beater web browsing appliance to leave in the kitchen, bedside, etc. I'm not sure it's worth the trouble of selling for $100 at this point.

With the new IPad announcement I think you will be lucky to get a 100 for it. Give it to a favorite family member .

What I do is go to gazelle.com and lock in a price from them.

Then list on eBay with the gazelle price as the reserve.

Worked well on my original iPhone, getting far more on eBay than gazelle offered,

Doing it now with my iPhone 4, having just bought a 5s. Gazelle offered me $95, so that's my eBay reserve.

Looks like Gazelle dropped there offer price to $80. Gamestop dropped their price even more. Sold my nearly flawless iPad1 last month for $100 to a person locally. I think it would be tough to get more than $100 now that the new ones are out.

Try Amazon.com electronics trade-in. Up to $120 for iPad 1, 16GB, wifi.

David

Someone had mentioned walmart was offering a $300 trade in towards the Ipad Air, can anyone confrim?

Someone had mentioned walmart was offering a $300 trade in towards the Ipad Air, can anyone confrim?

Highly doubt it would be for iPad 1. I don't think my 32gb WiFi iPad 2 will haul that much right now.

Just checked few announcements from Walmart. It's "up to $300" so I am sure you will get top dollar for your iPad 4 (or whatever the heck is the last one before Air) but not for 1

Sprint gave me $600+ for two iPad I's and an old iPhone back in the spring.

I have the iPad 1, 64GB, 3G. I figure I'll run it until I can't stand it anymore. Or upgrade before my next big XC to add a Stratus.

I run into some Safari or Facebook crashes every once in a while. I've noticed FF gets some delays changing views from charts to IAP to airport data.

An hour of hobbs time in most training aircraft. How's that for a measuring stick?

If you have an old Ipad 1 that works and doesn't have any scratches on the screen, it's worth $200 at Target from now until November 9.

Call first, though-- I just drove 40 miles round trip to my nearest Target, just to find out that the required "Target Mobile" center there doesn't open until 2pm on Tuesdays.

http://mashable.com/2013/11/05/ipad-air-target-trade-in/

Came here to post the Target thing as well. If you have an iPad 1, and want to sell it, this is far and away the best option at the moment, especially if you have a 16GB version.

If you have an old Ipad 1 that works and doesn't have any scratches on the screen, it's worth $200 at Target from now until November 9.

Wow! Thanks!

My 16gb iPad1 would only fetch $80 from Gazelle, in perfect condition.

May have to make a trip to a Target and snag that coupon. Then decide whether I want an Air or a Mini, though the Mini isn't out yet.

Anyway, sounds like a deal!

I did the Target deal yesterday with a 16gb iPad 1 that had a nice blotch on the LCD. Got my $200 card and bought an Ipad air. Good deal.

I can't even develop for iOS 5 anymore. The current XCODE won't target before 6.0.

Came here to post the Target thing as well. If you have an iPad 1, and want to sell it, this is far and away the best option at the moment, especially if you have a 16GB version.

I'm going to Target! Thanks for posting

edit: Can anyone confirm: my local Target mobility said the $200 has to be applied on a new ipad, AND at the time of trade-in. In other words he said I could NOT use the $200 credit towards a new iPad mini retina (likely released later in Nov.)

Last edited:
I know sprint gave a $200 trade I on a 1 only a month ago.

edit: Can anyone confirm: my local Target mobility said the $200 has to be applied on a new ipad, AND at the time of trade-in. In other words he said I could NOT use the $200 credit towards a new iPad mini retina (likely released later in Nov.)

At my Target, the guy handed me a $200 Target Gift card. I could have walked out of the store and used it later.

What did you give them?

Just the iPad? Or did they want charger, etc.?

Thanks,

-Dan

At my Target, the guy handed me a $200 Target Gift card. I could have walked out of the store and used it later.
I've seen other reports saying the same thing. Someone posting on the MacRumors thread about Target's buy-back claims to have walked out with four $200 gift cards from iPad 1 trade-ins, with no purchase made at the time.

We're probably headed to the Target in Cleveland, TN tomorrow.

The $200 is given in the form of an electronics gift certificate that can be used at any time, so I can wait until the Mini Retina comes out, do a side-by-side comparo and make my decision then.

I will be without an iPad for a few weeks - woe is me!

I guess I can just schlep my MacBook Pro around the house for the time being - hope I don't get a hernia!

The article on MacRumors was pretty specific:

"Gift cards do not need to be applied to the purchase of an iPad, however, and can be used towards any purchase online or at a Target retail location."

When I traded an old 16GB Ipad 1 this afternoon, they just gave me a gift card with a $200 credit on it and made no mention of any restrictions on it's use. I did pick up a new Ipad Mini for my wife, though-- hard to resist at a net cost (after trade-in and gift card promotion) of $75 plus tax.

Karen and I drove to the Target in Cleveland, TN today and got the $200 gift card for my iPad 1 16g with 3g.

I had no intention of walking out with a new iPad, since I want to see the Mini Retina before I make a choice.

Only downside was that while the transaction was painless, they were poorly set-up customer-friendly-wise regarding Apple products. I asked to see the new iPad Air and they said they could not open a box unless I was buying one - something about theft concerns. They also said they don't normally get the cellular models in stock, so I'd have to go through their website, where the gift card can be utilized.

Still, $200 instead of the $70 or $80 my iPad was worth remains quite a deal. Though now I have to go back to the stone age and lug my MacBook Pro around the house now! [:(]

I feel sorry for ya. Could've been something better like a PC! :D

Just sayin'!

David

It just occurred to me I had one of these lying around…

10734058253_6c66148808_o.jpg

I cannot believe how long its taking iOS7 to install! :mad2:

Thanks for the jeads up on the Target thing.

Posting this from my slightly over $200 36G non-retina Mini. :)

And the iPad 1 is wiped and safely locked up in a cabinet at the local Target store soon to be sent who knows where. ;)

Just traded in a first gen iPad at Target and received a $200 Target gift card, it can be used towards anything in the store doesn't have to be towards another iPad

The problem with the iPad 1 is as it ages the batteries get more and more limiting.....

Back