Ipad 1, what's it worth?

Just traded in a first gen iPad at Target and received a $200 Target gift card, it can be used towards anything in the store doesn't have to be towards another iPad

Some stores they push you a little harder to " trade up " immediately to something in the Electronics department.

Probably helped by a commission incentive, would be my guess.

I got the distinct feel that the kid would have been pushy last night if I'd have decided to say I wanted the gift card and I would be back later for a retina mini in a month or whatever. Karen was there with me and can confirm the "sense of pressure" the kid was oozing.

To me it didn't matter much. Just grab the mini non- retina and be thankful for the approximately $120 in free money. I'll never complain about free money. Ha.

We also got an ADDITIONAL $25 gift card for waiting patiently. Manners count still, I guess. Had to be spent at the next Target visit.

So didn't walk out with a $200 card, but walked out with half off on a mini non-retina and $25 in my pocket. About all I can say to that is, Thanks Target!

By the way, if their intent was to showcase their electronics area, I'll sadly report that generally their prices didn't beat anyone else's and their selection while bigger than before their "mobility center" went in, was the same as everyone else's. The overall effectiveness of the marketing budget may have been lost on me but maybe it will work for them long-term. The trade in stuff has hit every brick and mortar shop with both AT&T and Verizon starting it. All the other vendors had to add it. Target is using a third party for theirs but I forget who. It's on the paperwork here somewhere.

Some dude did a trade up on an iPhone. He didn't back it up and Target's data copying system (I assume a Mac hidden under the counter) crashed his phone and wiped his data. To me, it's his fault for not backing up his own crap, but I bet he blames the poor mobility tech and won't be back. They had an argument about the trade ins being " final " and he had to leave with his new phone but couldn't stop the sale and get the old phone back to attempt to restore it or jailbreak it and hunt for the old data... Not that he'd probably have any luck. But he left angry.

So between him angry, me kinda meh on the place, and two folks who seemed about as interested in the rest of the electronics section as I was, I'm not sure they batted even 25% last night if the goal was to hype the electronics section and service.

I was surprised at the two folks who weren't doing iPad trade ins. They were doing iPhones. I haven't looked at Target's website but were their prices on iPhone trade ins better than AT&T or VZ? The quick glances at the screen didn't seem to indicate that and prices didn't look any better than say, Gazelle. But... One can't discount the convenience of not having to ship to Gazelle. Walk in, get money toward a new device, get new device, walk out. Pretty smart competition to Gazelle, eBay, and Craigslist. Not that hot against the carrier's storefronts.

Interesting business wrangling.

Thanks again to whoever first posted it. PoA made me $145 this week. LOL!

Just traded in my iPad 1. Keeping the iPad 3.

No pressure to buy another iPad as Target had none in stock. Will wait for the retina mini I think for flying.

David

I saw this earlier today. Traded in the 64G wifi, 3G iPad 1 for a 32G wifi only white air. 3G is not worth it to me. My wife and I have iPhones.

The wifi only does not have an internal GPS.

That's the main reason I'd opt for the cellular, both as an aviation and even an auto unit.

Last edited:
In the several years we've owned cellular iPads, we've only activated them twice, for trips.

Even there, we could have always fallen back on our iPhones, and usually just go that route, as wifi becomes more and more prevalent wherever you stop.

I got my $200 gift card. I also decided to trade in my old iPhone 3GS and got an additional $3!:yikes:

Waiting for that iPad mini with the retina display to get in stock before I use the card.

Ha. I realize I made a dumb mistake. Didn't get the 4G version! Oooooops.

Never had any trouble with the onboard GPS but I guess it's GPS shopping time. LOL.

Or Stratus??? Hmm.

Never had any trouble with the onboard GPS but I guess it's GPS shopping time. LOL.

Or Stratus??? Hmm.

Stratus 2. It's a great little box... GPS+AHRS+ADS-B. I've been very happy with mine.

Or Stratus??? Hmm.

I think you did it on purpose to provide a convenient excuse to buy one of the ADS-B receivers. :yes:

:D
David

I'd like to get the AHRS. I borrowed a friend's Stratus 1 last week, and it was really nice having onboard weather.

Yup. That's the main advantage of having one. The AHRS, the glareshield "mount", the white case + fan to keep it cool, etc. are nice too, and IMO well worth the extra hundred bucks, but onboard weather is a major help.

Yup. That's the main advantage of having one. The AHRS, the glareshield "mount", the white case + fan to keep it cool, etc. are nice too, and IMO well worth the extra hundred bucks, but onboard weather is a major help.

I just bought the iPad air cell version, works great in the cockpit and having the GPS is wonderful. My old iPad 1 didn't have the GPS.

I'm debating the Stratus and probably won't buy one. We still have our 496 on the yoke and the XM weather works really well. The only additional advantage the Stratus would buy is the AHRS should multiple instruments fail. Even then, the 496 has a panel page that is quite good and would suffice if needed. *edit* We also have Ryan TCAD in our bird, so we get traffic reports on the 430, though only if the traffic as been interrogated. *edit*

My 11yr old daughter is enjoying playing with the old iPad 1.

Last edited:
I'm debating the Stratus and probably won't buy one. We still have our 496 on the yoke and the XM weather works really well. The only additional advantage the Stratus would buy is the AHRS should multiple instruments fail.

You're forgetting a major advantage of the Stratus: No $ub$cription fee$.

So, for those of you who haven't figured this out yet, the process for using the Target Electronics Trade-In cards to order something online is a bit on the convoluted side, if you're trying to buy something worth more than the card.

It's technically not a "Target Gift Card" so it won't work in the gift card section when you check out - It's actually got a MasterCard number, but you're only allowed to use one credit card for payment.

So, you have to buy a $200 Target Gift Card online, then at checkout you choose "MasterCard" as the payment method, and put in the number under the scratch-off as well as the 4 digits to the right of it as the credit card number. For the security code, use the last three digits of the 6-digit number at the bottom. (Intuitive, right?) Use your own name as the "name on card" even though there isn't one. Repeat for as many of the Electronics Trade-in Cards as you have...

You can get the gift card(s) emailed to you right away, and then you can use up to 4 of them in addition to a credit card to buy what you wanted.

(This public service message brought to you by the guy who traded in two iPads and has spent the last half hour trying to order a new retina Mini online...)

Last edited:
OBTW... That also kinda makes me think these are just prepaid MasterCards that you might be able to just use anywhere. Hmmm...

So, for those of you who haven't figured this out yet, the process for using the Target Electronics Trade-In cards to order something online is a bit on the convoluted side, if you're trying to buy something worth more than the card.

It's technically not a "Target Gift Card" so it won't work in the gift card section when you check out - It's actually got a MasterCard number, but you're only allowed to use one credit card for payment.

So, you have to buy a $200 Target Gift Card online, then at checkout you choose "MasterCard" as the payment method, and put in the number under the scratch-off as well as the 4 digits to the right of it as the credit card number. For the security code, use the last three digits of the 6-digit number at the bottom. (Intuitive, right?) Use your own name as the "name on card" even though there isn't one. Repeat for as many of the Electronics Trade-in Cards as you have...

You can get the gift card(s) emailed to you right away, and then you can use up to 4 of them in addition to a credit card to buy what you wanted.

(This public service message brought to you by the guy who traded in two iPads and has spent the last half hour trying to order a new retina Mini online...)

Thanks for the info! I still have mine. Now that I look at the card number, it does look like a credit card number. Geesh! That would have been painful.

Now I wonder if it could be used online anywhere.

David

Back