Pilots of America Member Map

Great Idea, Does not seem to be loading for me.

So far 30 people from 5 countries have added map markers to the new unofficial Pilots of America Member Map:

http://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=451754

Some brief usage notes:

• To add a marker showing your location, choose the menu selection "Additions" and then either "Add Marker - Simple" or "Add Marker - Detailed". Either one allows you to add descriptive information and even an image.
  • You should be able to edit the content or location of your markers later - but only when using the browser that was used to create the markers. If you find you can no longer edit your marker then you need to contact me and ask me to either edit it for you or remove it.
  • Nothing should stop you from creating more than one marker. Though you should not create too many; the map is intended to provide a way to advertise your location, the location of fly-ins or other events, and their details.
  • There are a bunch of menu selections that only the admin (me) can use. Otherwise feel free to poke around. Hope this is of some interest or value to PoA members.
  • Anyone having access to the URL can insert markers, including guests. I hope everyone uses their editing capabilities responsibly. I would hate to have to shut down easy edit access.
  • If you are on a mobile device and you wish to add a marker, you first need to click on the "Full Map" menu button. That should take you to the standard display that allows marker additions and editing.

Update since the above post of Jan. 4, 2013: As of today members have placed 90 markers covering (by my dubious counting) 6 countries, 32 U.S. states and 2 Canadian provinces.

Update since the above post of Jan. 4, 2013: As of today members have placed 90 markers covering (by my dubious counting) 6 countries, 32 U.S. states and 2 Canadian provinces.

As of today, members have placed 100 markers on the map.

Should be 101 now :D

It is actually now 105.

As map admin, I've set it to email me when a new marker is placed.

Since posting to a thread pushes it to the top of the list of recent threads, that tends to attract more attention to it. Posts beget more posts - or in the case of this thread, posts seem to beget a cluster of new markers.

(Even as I was composing this post another member placed a marker - now up to 106.)

Can the thread be re-named? or start a new thread. "NEW POA Member Map" would get looked at by more people. Most of us have in our head that the old map died and no one seemed to be able to find a way to revive the map. It seems that there were occasional flurries of posts to this thread about continued lack of success.

Can the thread be re-named? or start a new thread. "NEW POA Member Map" would get looked at by more people. Most of us have in our head that the old map died and no one seemed to be able to find a way to revive the map. It seems that there were occasional flurries of posts to this thread about continued lack of success.

I could certainly start a new thread like that. However, PoA moderators would need to make it sticky. I'd also be more than happy to transfer admin control and responsibility for the new map to the PoA moderators if they prefer that.

Don't know how I didn't see this before. ...and I'm on the map.

Last edited:
For newer users just seeing this thread for the first time, the Pilots of America Member Map is located at the following site (the web site referenced in the first post to this thread is long gone):

Some brief usage notes:

• To add a marker showing your location, choose the menu selection "Additions" and then either "Add Marker - Simple" or "Add Marker - Detailed". Either one allows you to add descriptive information and even an image.
  • You should be able to edit the content or location of your markers later - but only when using the browser that was used to create the markers. If you find you can no longer edit your marker then you need to contact me and ask me to either edit it for you or remove it.
  • Nothing should stop you from creating more than one marker. Though you should not create too many; the map is intended to provide a way to advertise your location, the location of fly-ins or other events, and their details.
  • There are a bunch of menu selections that only the admin (me) can use. Otherwise feel free to poke around. Hope this is of some interest or value to PoA members.
  • Anyone who opens the map's URL can insert markers on it, including people who aren't even aware of PoA's existence. But I hope everyone uses their open editing rights responsibly. I would hate to have to shut down easy edit access.
  • If you are on a mobile device and you wish to add a marker, you may need to first need to click on the "Full Map" menu button [I think this step is no longer needed but I'm keeping it in.] That should take you to the standard display that allows marker additions and editing.
Here is a Youtube video that may be of use to users who desire more information on how to add a marker:

Didn't even realize there WAS a map. Pretty easy to add myself, though, and nice to see other PoA members in the area.

I see the original post is no longer valid.
FWIW, it might be a good idea to update the first post with the new link and delete the dead link.

For newer users just seeing this thread for the first time, the Pilots of America Member Map is located at the following site (the web site referenced in the first post to this thread is long gone):

I am seeking a PoA member to take over administration of the above zeemaps group. There is almost nothing involved, since it is pretty much on auto-pilot. An admin can set it up to send emails when users make any edits, such as when they create new entries. That makes monitoring fairly trivial. I think I paid a modest one-time fee to permanently exclude advertising from appearing, but I may be misremembering. None has appeared in over a year, which is why I think I did. Worse case is that ads start appearing at some point in the future. No big deal.

Volunteers must contact me privately (consider it a first-layer of filtering.) I'd like to have a replacement in place by Feb. 18. The map should continue to operate without any admin at all, but having one to perform emergency clean-up would nice.

Done! It's pretty cool to see! I thought there were more of us in the Tulsa and Springfield area, though?

OK, I'm in too. I think I am the furthest NW in the continental US. If someone beats me, that means they are close.

I am seeking a PoA member to take over administration of the above zeemaps group. There is almost nothing involved, since it is pretty much on auto-pilot. An admin can set it up to send emails when users make any edits, such as when they create new entries. That makes monitoring fairly trivial. I think I paid a modest one-time fee to permanently exclude advertising from appearing, but I may be misremembering. None has appeared in over a year, which is why I think I did. Worse case is that ads start appearing at some point in the future. No big deal.

Volunteers must contact me privately (consider it a first-layer of filtering.) I'd like to have a replacement in place by Feb. 18. The map should continue to operate without any admin at all, but having one to perform emergency clean-up would nice.

No volunteers have stepped forward yet.

Edit: Just FYI I attempted to contact the original poster/overlord a while back and asked if he might change the link in the first post. Never got any response.

Last edited:
It is actually now 105.

As map admin, I've set it to email me when a new marker is placed.

Since posting to a thread pushes it to the top of the list of recent threads, that tends to attract more attention to it. Posts beget more posts - or in the case of this thread, posts seem to beget a cluster of new markers.

(Even as I was composing this post another member placed a marker - now up to 106.)

People can find the thread, but not the map link since it isn't in the first post and pretty quickly isn't one of the most recent posts. Most people aren't going to search through multiple pages to find the map link.

I'm an IT guy...managing a map can't be that difficult. I'll volunteer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am seeking a PoA member to take over administration of the above zeemaps group.
AuntPeggy has taken over administration of the (unofficial) Pilots of America Member Map.

Thank you for volunteering AuntPeggy!

So if you place a marker and you later discover that you are unable to edit or delete it, or you have any other issue with the contents of the map, you will need to contact AuntPeggy via the private message system of this web forum.

Lastly, the following (perhaps dated) comments on using the PoA Member Map may be found here: http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1442999&postcount=141
AuntPeggy (and any PoA member who wishes to take the initiative) may provide updated usage information as the need arises.

Maybe we should start a new member map on Google Maps?

Added! I'm new to the board, but not new to flying. Have been out of the game for a little while, but getting back in after ~12 years.

Back