Our Maggie Girl....

GMascelli

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
GaryM
I guess I just needed to vent among friends...

Our Maggie Girl....

This evening, Mary and I had to make a decision that ripped our hearts out, we said goodbye to our Maggie Girl, our Italian Mastiff. Having just turned eight in March she suffered from kidney failure following a simple surgery to have her teeth cleaned.

Maggie was admitted to the local Vet hospital in hopes of flushing her system and for lack of a better term "jump start" her kidneys. thirty-six hours later she turned for the worse.
I sit here in tears typing this but in my own way it helps move the grieving process along, at least for me. I know she wouldn't want that, she never did like us being upset. She was always the class clown with the goofy look or stare into space "not listening" when you wanted her to do something she didn't want to. She didn't approve of the cats occasional fighting and would always get up from her comfy bed and get the boys to neutral corners then return, plop down, and give a big sigh as if to say crisis averted now can I get some sleep.
Maggie has stood by Mary on a daily basis as my Bride battled with her health issues, often never leaving the room until I returned from work. She was faithful and loving and we will miss her everyday.

The Last Battle
If it should be that I grow frail and weak
And pain should keep me from my sleep,
Then will you do what must be done,
For this -- the last battle -- can't be won.

You will be sad I understand,
But don't let grief then stay your hand,
For on this day, more than the rest,
Your love and friendship must stand the test.

We have had so many happy years,
You wouldn't want me to suffer so.
When the time comes, please, let me go.

Take me to where to my needs they'll tend, Only, stay with me till the end
And hold me firm and speak to me
Until my eyes no longer see.
I know in time you will agree
It is a kindness you do for me.

Although my tail its last has waved,
From pain and suffering I have been saved. Don't grieve that it must be you
Who has to decide this thing to do;
We've been so close -- we three -- these years, Don't let your heart hold any tears.

-- Unknown

Last edited:
So Sorry, Gary. I remember having to write it down when my Bear died. It helps. (I couldn't finish my eulogy for the little girl, but she did give us 17 years of love and laughter.)

Good Looking pup, its amazing how much they really become one of the family.

sorry for your loss. Looks like she led a good life and made yours a happier one as well.

Sorry for your lost. She will always live in your memories.

Sorry man.

:-(

:sad::sad::sad::sad::sad:...

It is never easy to say good bye to a close friend..:nonod:

Sorry to hear about your loss. Losing them is like losing family. I had my dogs teeth cleaned last year and was worried about complications. Thankfully he made it through ok. Hopefully I won't have to take him back for awhile.

I am so sorry for your loss. Beautiful Maggie.

I've lost dogs too, so I know how you feel. They are such a part of the family, it's so hard to lose them.
My dog also turned eight in March.

Sorry for your loss Gary.
I remember meeting Maggie girl a few years ago and how she came right up to
greet me, much to your surprise.
They are like family, and she will be missed without a doubt.
May she RIP.

"I have sometimes thought of the final cause of dogs having such short lives and I am quite satisfied it is in compassion to the human race; for if we suffer so much in losing a dog after an acquaintance of ten or twelve years, what would it be if they were to live double that time?"

(Sir Walter Scott)

Very sorry to hear this. They are family. Sincere condolences

Aw Gary, I am so sorry.

The wounds and pain from losing my own bud are still fresh, so my heart really goes out to you and your family.

Your Maggie sounds like she was a wonderful companion. I hope your next one brings you as much joy. That is when the healing will start.

Last edited:
I consider pets just like children and I believe it can hurt just as much when they're gone. Not everyone understands this, but many here certainly do.

My condolences, hang in there.

BTDT and feel your pain. Will be facing it once again soon, I fear. :sad:

Sorry Gary. Always sad to lose a close friend.

These kind of days are the worst kind of days to have a pet. But, in some strange way, they are also the best. We handle our responsibility to them in as dignified a way as possible and move on - a better person for it.

Take care.

Very sorry for your loss Gary. We get so attached to our pets. They always seem to loves us unconditionally but don't live near as long as we do.

Thanks so much for all the thoughts and kind words. Mary and I appreciate the responses as we work through it all. It's been a tough month to say the least but we will keep moving forward.

As we walked out of the Vet hospital Mary said at least her Mom will be there with a peanut butter biscuit to welcome her home. Marys Mom passed just a few weeks ago and yes every visit to our home was with a peanut butter biscuit in hand. We knew when Marys Mom pulled up in the drive because the big bad bark was a series of cries and wimpers followed by the stub tail wagging out of control. One of us always announced Mom's here!

I'm so sorry.

The magnitude of the pain we feel in their death is a reflection of the joy they brought us during their life.

So sorry to her about sweet, silly Maggie. I know you and Mary will be able to find comfort in your many wonderful memories.

For the fate of the sons of men and the fate of beasts is the same. As one dies so dies the other. All have the same breath....All go to the same place.
Ecclesiastes 3: 19-20

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." --Anatole France

I'm very sorry for your loss.

Larry

"I have sometimes thought of the final cause of dogs having such short lives and I am quite satisfied it is in compassion to the human race; for if we suffer so much in losing a dog after an acquaintance of ten or twelve years, what would it be if they were to live double that time?" --Sir Walter Scott

For the fate of the sons of men and the fate of beasts is the same. As one dies so dies the other. All have the same breath....All go to the same place. Ecclesiastes 3: 19-20

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." --Anatole France

Thanks so much.......Mary and I will treasure these.

So sorry for your loss.

One of my favorite dog tributes:
Near this Spot
are deposited the Remains of one
who possessed Beauty without Vanity,
Strength without Insolence,
Courage without Ferosity,
and all the virtues of Man without his Vices.

This praise, which would be unmeaning Flattery
if inscribed over human Ashes,
is but a just tribute to the Memory of
BOATSWAIN, a DOG,
who was born in Newfoundland May 1803
and died at Newstead Nov. 18, 1808.

When some proud Son of Man returns to Earth,
Unknown to Glory, but upheld by Birth,
The sculptor’s art exhausts the pomp of woe,
And storied urns record who rests below.
When all is done, upon the Tomb is seen,
Not what he was, but what he should have been.
But the poor Dog, in life the firmest friend,
The first to welcome, foremost to defend,
Whose honest heart is still his Master’s own,
Who labours, fights, lives, breathes for him alone,
Unhonoured falls, unnoticed all his worth,
Denied in heaven the Soul he held on earth –
While man, vain insect! hopes to be forgiven,
And claims himself a sole exclusive heaven.

Oh man! thou feeble tenant of an hour,
Debased by slavery, or corrupt by power –
Who knows thee well must quit thee with disgust,
Degraded mass of animated dust!
Thy love is lust, thy friendship all a cheat,
Thy tongue hypocrisy, thy heart deceit!
By nature vile, ennobled but by name,
Each kindred brute might bid thee blush for shame.
Ye, who behold perchance this simple urn,
Pass on – it honors none you wish to mourn.
To mark a friend’s remains these stones arise;
I never knew but one -- and here he lies.

-Lord Byron

One of our girls is 13 this month. Although she gets around fine with just a little creakiness, she's about 40-45 lbs, so we know we probably don't have many years left. Of our two, the 13 yr old definitely has "problem teeth". We have them cleaned about every 12-18 months; always with the proper pre-screening. Your story will make me ask the vet about perhaps avoiding any more cleanings. I'm just wondering if the risk of the anesthetic outweighs the benefit of the cleaning after a certain age.

Again, so sorry for your loss.

Man...

I am so sorry. It hurts a lot and only time takes it away.

My wife started a scrapbook for Pekinese, right after he died of leukemia and it gave us much joy. Still does. You already have the photos. All that's left is to organize and caption them. You will be amazed how healing it can be.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the kind words and thoughts. Mary and I spent the day clearing out her Mom's condo. Mary's mom passed the end of march. Good hard work and good discussions on what are our next steps to fill the void left by our Maggie's passing last night.

Together we made a few calls and added our names to the waiting list for an American Mastiff. We didn't like the empty house so we are going to start over with a new pup.

We sat here to tonight eating pizza and having a few coronas and looking through all of Mag's pictures. She was such a sweet heart, and helped us move forward when our Rotti passed. We both feel this is what Maggie would want since she provided that very same love and bond for us just eight years ago.

Last edited:
Together we made a few calls and added our names to the waiting list for an American Mastiff. We didn't like the empty house so we are going to start over with a new pup.
:goofy::goofy::goofy:

I am so glad to hear you made this decision. As I said earlier, the healing will really start when you get a new pup to steal your heart.

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pets are part of the family and it always hurts when we lose them. Sorry to hear about Maggie.

Condolences, Gary. I cried like a wee one when Dixie passed. These are not mere accessories, they are indeed family.

Gary, sorry for your loss, our pets are like family and it's tough to lose them.

Back