QT Halo PIREP

LDJones

Touchdown! Greaser!
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
Jonesy
I've tried to order a QT Halo for quite awhile now. On the suggestion of someone here I contacted them and got on list. After OSH I got an e-mail saying they had some in stock and I could call to order one, which I did.

By way of background, I'm a long-time Lightspeed user, most recently the Zulu.2. (I'm not a big fan of the PFX.) I also have a Bose A20 which I've been using in the jet mainly because the power cord could be moved to the right ear cup, which puts the cord on the correct side for First Office plugs on the right side of the jet. The Bose is great, but not quite as good as the Lightspeed. But I was interested in getting something even more compact that would allow me to pop a hat on when I needed it for sun blocking purposes. I looked at both the Clarity Aloft and the QT Halo, but the lower price and audio tube design of the QT pushed me that direction.

After ordering it arrived in two days, as promised. It seems reasonably well-built, although the cord seems really thin. That has pluses and minuses. It makes it more compact but I'm wondering about durability. Time will tell.

I'm currently using the fat foam ear plugs. I need to try the others but these seems to make sense from the get-go. I flew two 2-day trips with them this week so got a pretty good work out. So, here are my initial impressions:

- Incoming audio quality is excellent. I could hear as well as with my LS or Bose ANR headsets.

- Outgoing audio quality was reported as good by my Captain, but for me the ear plug design makes my fairly deep base resonate REALLY loudly in my head when coupled with the sidetone audio. It took a couple of days to adjust to that change and still find it a bit annoying.

- Our audio alert tones are OBNOXIOUSLY...almost painfully...loud coming through these. It's WAY louder than coming through my ANR headsets. I'm thinking part of it is the mic picking up on that tone which comes over our cabin speakers as well as the audio panel. I'm adjusting to it but the volume of those concerns me a bit.

- My inner ears itch after while with the plugs. I was afraid this might be an issue. Maybe I'll get used to it. I hope so. But it's annoying.

- Overall noise cancelling seems to be slightly less than with my ANRs, but that's really subjective. The CRJ cockpit isn't overly loud....you don't have the low freq rumble of a piston, but you have more high-pitch noise from all the fans, wind noise and whistling windshield wipers in cruise.

- I like the lightweight aspect.

- They're convenient to stow between legs because i can hang them anywhere...often over my Surface EFB! I couldn't do that with the ANRs.

- Donning them takes slightly longer than the traditional headsets. I'm sure with time and practice I'll get quicker at it, but it's definitely more work to get the plugs compressed and properly inserted.

- Small size makes them convenient to store in my flight bag. I'm currently dragging the Bose along, too, just in case an issue surfaces. But in time I suspect I'll feel comfortable enough to ditch the backup headset.

So, those are my initial impressions. One of these days I'll try them in one of the piston airplanes I fly, but for not I purchased them mainly for the jet. I'll continue to use them and see if I can overcome some of the minor frustrations.

Loren,

Did you get the ones designed for the RJ's or the standard version for everything else? From what I remember reading there was a difference between the two versions, I just can't seem to find it on their website. Maybe that helps explain the loud audio tones?

I did have the same issue in my Mooney before I figured out that I had accidentally moved the volume adjustment on the cord. That was a painful few hours before I figured it out. Everything was ringing in my ears and I kept wondering why ATC was yelling at me...:)

I've had mine for almost 6 years now and no issues with the cords being fragile or showing signs of wear and I'm not exactly kind to my headsets... :rolleyes::)

Cheers,
Brian

Loren,

Did you get the ones designed for the RJ's or the standard version for everything else? From what I remember reading there was a difference between the two versions, I just can't seem to find it on their website. Maybe that helps explain the loud audio tones?

I did have the same issue in my Mooney before I figured out that I had accidentally moved the volume adjustment on the cord. That was a painful few hours before I figured it out. Everything was ringing in my ears and I kept wondering why ATC was yelling at me...:)

I've had mine for almost 6 years now and no issues with the cords being fragile or showing signs of wear and I'm not exactly kind to my headsets... :rolleyes::)

Cheers,
Brian
NOTE: LOW gain option is for ERJ/CRJ* aircraft ONLY!!! This is for aircraft intercoms without a squelch control and are always "ON" therwise known as a "HOT MIC" system. If you don't fly a commuter ERJ/CRJ or have a hot mic system, PLEASE order the regular gain headset!!!!!

I jumpseat on the E145 and E170 with my QT Halo frequently. Turn the volume on the box near the plugs on the Halo way down and turn up the volume on the audio panel. That will help with the altitude alerter.

I've never used the foam plugs, in fact I gave them away. After several years, I've replaced both silicone plugs with the included spares. Pyres, the wires are pretty thin, but very durable. I've worn mine with my handheld in my cargo pockets while mowing along the runway. Also tried to get out of the plane several times with them on.

I've been loving my Halos since 2010.

NOTE: LOW gain option is for ERJ/CRJ* aircraft ONLY!!! This is for aircraft intercoms without a squelch control and are always "ON" therwise known as a "HOT MIC" system. If you don't fly a commuter ERJ/CRJ or have a hot mic system, PLEASE order the regular gain headset!!!!!

Is this true for QTs? I remember seeing a TSO version of the Clarity Aloft.

I jumpseat on the E145 and E170 with my QT Halo frequently. Turn the volume on the box near the plugs on the Halo way down and turn up the volume on the audio panel. That will help with the altitude alerter.

I'll experiment with that.

I love my Halo's and could never go back to over ear headsets. Yes it's a little annoying to put them on but it's so worth it in flight. The biggest drawback of them is that you can't really share them with passengers for obvious reasons.

For those considering moving to an in-ear headset, the two major players at QT Halos and the Clarity Aloft. You can find differences in them, and people that will swear by both brands. But the number one difference between the two is where the speakers that generate the sound are, and for many people price as well.

For Halos the speaker is on the band, and sound tubes pass that into the ear. Nothing inside the ear has active electronics. This eliminates wax or sweat form getting into the speakers and causing issues. It can sometimes get into the bud or up into the sound tube, but a good cleaning, or a couple of buck for new tubes is about the worst case scenario.

For the Aloft the speaker is actually in the bud that sits inside the ear. This has been done for years in hearing aids, and is considered robust. I have heard of people with hearing aids getting liquids in the speaker portion and causing issues. Typically it just takes some extra cleaning care to get things back to normal, but in a few cases it has trashed the speaker itself and required repair or replacement of the unit.

Your mileage may vary, and I would consider them both great headsets, but after dealing with speaker in ear hearing aids I decided on the Halo.

For those considering moving to an in-ear headset, the two major players at QT Halos and the Clarity Aloft. You can find differences in them, and people that will swear by both brands. But the number one difference between the two is where the speakers that generate the sound are, and for many people price as well.

For Halos the speaker is on the band, and sound tubes pass that into the ear. Nothing inside the ear has active electronics. This eliminates wax or sweat form getting into the speakers and causing issues. It can sometimes get into the bud or up into the sound tube, but a good cleaning, or a couple of buck for new tubes is about the worst case scenario.

For the Aloft the speaker is actually in the bud that sits inside the ear. This has been done for years in hearing aids, and is considered robust. I have heard of people with hearing aids getting liquids in the speaker portion and causing issues. Typically it just takes some extra cleaning care to get things back to normal, but in a few cases it has trashed the speaker itself and required repair or replacement of the unit.

Your mileage may vary, and I would consider them both great headsets, but after dealing with speaker in ear hearing aids I decided on the Halo.
Faro just recently came out with an in-ear, as well. I wish I could test the 3 back to back.

Faro just recently came out with an in-ear, as well. I wish I could test the 3 back to back.
The Faro is just a CA clone at a cheaper price point. Same thing, but seemed much more cheaply built. I still prefer my Halos.

Love me my Halos.

Not so fond of my Halos, maybe I've been using ANR too long, too much low end pass through in noisy piston cockpits for my tastes. Might turn them back in under the 45 day deal.

Not so fond of my Halos, maybe I've been using ANR too long, too much low end pass through in noisy piston cockpits for my tastes. Might turn them back in under the 45 day deal.

If you put them up for sale here or on any of the other forums, you'd probably sell them in under a day due to the back up in production at QT.

Cheers,
Brian

Love the Halos in my Bo. I found them to be too much of a pain in the 757/767 at Delta so I went back to my Bose/iflymike setup for work trips.

I'm only a student pilot but I knew I was in love with flying and with all the great reviews I went ahead and ordered Halos before I even started training (I had taken some discovery flights) and I am in LOVE.

I wear ear plugs most days at work, industrial machinery all around me, so I knew the in ear part wouldn't bother me.

As everyone else points out they are:
super light weight
great at noise reduction - I'm sure they list a spec but most in ear foam plugs are approx. 33 NRR or -33dB reduction
great microphone - only thing I've heard as good is Bose
no batteries
NO HEADACHE FROM CLAMPS - This is huge. Not having something squeezing my head is probably the best part of all

I love my halos.

Which plugs are y'all using? So far I've used the yellow foamies and the black ones. Not sure if I like the black ones. The foamies worked pretty good. Haven't messed with the Christmas trees yet. Pireps on the various types from those who have done more extensive testing would be welcome.

One issue I've noticed is the mic boom tends to rotate and face downward. I'll rotate it on the stalk and aim it back at my mouth, but it tends to rotate back over time. I've actually marked the mic face and the boom with white nail polish so I know when it travels. Anyone else?

I love my halos.

Which plugs are y'all using? So far I've used the yellow foamies and the black ones. Not sure if I like the black ones. The foamies worked pretty good. Haven't messed with the Christmas trees yet. Pireps on the various types from those who have done more extensive testing would be welcome.

One issue I've noticed is the mic boom tends to rotate and face downward. I'll rotate it on the stalk and aim it back at my mouth, but it tends to rotate back over time. I've actually marked the mic face and the boom with white nail polish so I know when it travels. Anyone else?
I use just the yellow tips. Bought a **** ton of them from Sanibel supply to last a lifetime. My mic generally stays where it's supposed to be unless I'm messing with it.

I use the silicone tips. For a while, I had trouble with the mic moving, but when I adjusted the position if the wire behind my head, it stopped. Love my Halos! Going in seven years now.

The insulation at the plug on my Halos is gone now so I have bare wire causing all sorts of problems. I've emailed the company but no response in the last week. Will have to try again I guess. Other than that I like mine and for the price they can't be beat but would prefer the Bose A20

Back