IFR departure KSMO

RLVoumard

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
RLV
Will be making June trip to SoCal in June...SMO is the best choice . I'll file the whole way in....What am I looking at IFR departure ( PA28-235/G ) will be back up to NorCal. I have heard the delays can be a nightmare ? Clearance should be straight forward. Thanks in advance.

Will be making June trip to SoCal in June...SMO is the best choice . I'll file the whole way in....What am I looking at IFR departure ( PA28-235/G ) will be back up to NorCal. I have heard the delays can be a nightmare ? Clearance should be straight forward. Thanks in advance.
If the weather is IMC yeah, there can be long delays. The clearance your likely to get can be kinda complex unless things have changed in the last coupla years. You have to cross a radial of LAX, then turn right to a heading to intercept a radial of LAX. Hope someone shows up here who knows it in detail.

Last edited:
Thanks standing by for local that can help !

If the weather is IMC yeah, there can be long delays. The clearance you’re likely to get can be kinda complex unless things have changed in the last coupla years. You have to cross a radial of LAX, then turn right to a heading to intercept a radial of SMO. Hope someone shows up here who knows it in detail.
That is not complex.

That is not complex.
Yeah. Plugging into a GPS Navigator
Not a local, but have you tried consulting LiveATC.net?
It looks like it has been changed. It didn’t used to say leaving 1000 fly heading 250. It was fly runway heading until crossing the LAX ### radial. Don’t remember the number, but it was equivalent to the shore line. Probably close to the 317r and 317 is ringing a bell. 250 of course is a heading to parallel KLAX departures. It stated vectors to V23 or maybe it was the LAX radial that defined V23. In some instances it might have been V165 or the LAX radial defining V165. In the clearance issued it was vectors to VALEY, then V165. The plane in the recording was going to KHII and that would be the way to go. @RLVoumard was going to a Northern California airport. V23 would be the way up there. So I’m guessing they would be using ‘vectors to CHATY’ now instead of vectors to V23 or the LAX 323r.
The issues folk were having with old way was how to fly it with using just a GPS Navigator. They’d get confused about how to ‘cross’ a radial.

Yeah. Plugging into a GPS Navigator

It looks like it has been changed. It didn’t used to say leaving 1000 fly heading 250. It was fly runway heading until crossing the LAX ### radial. Don’t remember the number, but it was equivalent to the shore line. Probably close to the 317r and 317 is ringing a bell. 250 of course is a heading to parallel KLAX departures. It stated vectors to V23 or maybe it was the LAX radial that defined V23. In some instances it might have been V165 or the LAX radial defining V165. In the clearance issued it was vectors to VALEY, then V165. The plane in the recording was going to KHII and that would be the way to go. @RLVoumard was going to a Northern California airport. V23 would be the way up there. So I’m guessing they would be using ‘vectors to CHATY’ now instead of vectors to V23 or the LAX 323r.
The issues folk were having with old way was how to fly it with using just a GPS Navigator. They’d get confused about how to ‘cross’ a radial.
There's more than 1 clearance on that clip. Another is at 5:22 and one more at 25:40.

And there's more than 1 clip on LiveATC. ;)

There's more than 1 clearance on that clip. Another is at 5:22 and one more at 25:40.

Oh man, don’t make me go back and listen. Summarize for me.

Last edited:
Local here.... you can file IFR and the clearance is not so complicated. Don't worry about a long wait those don't seem to happen often. So delays not a big deal. Clearances straight forward. Park in the city ramp in front of the abandoned restaurant. Make sure to file your landing fees in your circular filing cabinet next to your desk.

Local here.... you can file IFR and the clearance is not so complicated. Don't worry about a long wait those don't seem to happen often. So delays not a big deal. Clearances straight forward. Park in the city ramp in front of the abandoned restaurant. Make sure to file your landing fees in your circular filing cabinet next to your desk.
What airplane do you have? Have you gone IFR to an airport up North, like in the Bay Area?

Ok, I listened. Sounds like they are no longer doing that cross the LAX ### radial thing

Angel Flight XXX clear to Bakersfield Airport fly runway heading to Los Angeles radial 315 turn right heading 250 vectors to victor 23 gorman vor then as filed maintain 3000 expect 10000 in 5 minutes departure frequency 124.2 squawk 4660.

Fly the runway heading, at LAX R315 turn right to 250°, vectors GOR V23 is complex?
Not in itself. It’s getting it loaded into a GPS Navigator that people were having trouble with. Did you read that thread?

Not in itself. It’s getting it loaded into a GPS Navigator that people were having trouble with. Did you read that thread?
That’s not complex either.

Navigators have a OBS mode which acts like (in the sense that the unit is using the lat/long not RF) a VOR. Here you would put the LAX VOR as an anchor in your flight plan, but start in OBS mode on the specified heading until you cross the specified radial. Out of OBS mode on crossing, and now the box sequences again to the rest of your flight.

Not a horrible idea to put the raw data in the number 2 NAV if you have one but a single GPS receiver can do the trick. have left KSMO IFR many times. Though try to do it VFR since it is often much faster. Have waited up to 30 minutes for the clearance, but that was a day when the departure coincided with an LAX push of many places to the west.

I have a mooney. I commute regularly from SMO to Lake Tahoe. I usually file IFR.
Have done SMO to Bay Area (usually PAO) about 50 times. Don’t know if you had any specific questions. IFR is IFR - hand holding all the way.

Leaving Bay Area it’s often easier to leave VFR and pick up clearance downstream, often with Oakland on I think 124.52 south of SJC.

Back