Zulu Lightspeed operation/First flight!

skidoo

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
skidoo
I made my first flight yesterday in the new to me 182. Along with that was my first use of the Zulu Lightspeed headset. I am normally a bit softspoken and what I found was that the headset tended to come on about a half second after I started talking and cut off my first word. Is this typical, or is there an adjustment to make it respond faster. Or do I need to develop a new way of speaking like uttering UHHHH for a half second before speaking. I would hate to have to do that.

Attachments

• HT0_6377bsmall.jpg
    HT0_6377bsmall.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 24
there should be a squelch control on your intercom. fiddle around with it that should take care of the problem

mmm try placing the mic closer to your mouth. I find that happens to me when I use a different headset than I'm used to. I do use a lightspeed and have no such problem.

Combine what Tony and Adam said and you should get it. A lot of people have a tendency to have the mic too far away, and don't "eat" it. It should be very close to your lips.

For squelch adjustment, normally what I do is I turn it until it's always listening (you'll hear the ambient noise). Then start turning it back the other way slowly until it stops. Then turn it back the first way a little bit. Since the squelch takes a half second or so to turn off once you get below the dB threshold, if you just wait until it stops picking up the ambient noise you've probably gone about 1/2 second too far.

I have two Lightspeed headsets (a Zulu and a 20xlc) and find them both to be fine, but each headset will require an adjustment of the squelch.

Adam: Remember that you're not exactly softspoken. :rofl:

Ted??? you went to the dark side and bought a Zulu??? ; )

Yeah, I got sick of having to use my crappy headset when I had non-pilot passengers in the plane and decided that I almost fly enough to justify a second nice headset. Maybe when I fly 800 hours/year I'll feel I've earned it. ;)

Yeah, I got sick of having to use my crappy headset when I had non-pilot passengers in the plane and decided that I almost fly enough to justify a second nice headset. Maybe when I fly 800 hours/year I'll feel I've earned it. ;)

You would give the good headset to the non-pilot passengers????

Ok, guess it's time I bit the bullet... at least Rick will be happy to get my DC instead of my cheep passenger headsets.

You would give the good headset to the non-pilot passengers????

It depends on whether or not I'm trying to impress them. Or, in the case of my mom, I give it to her so she'll complain less. I know what a plane is like, non-pilot passengers don't. Good headsets make it better.

Ok, guess it's time I bit the bullet... at least Rick will be happy to get my DC instead of my cheep passenger headsets.

Good, that means more for me to borrow when I have more non-pilot passengers in the plane. :D

Back