Zulu 3 reviews?

DavidWhite

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
DW
I'm looking at going from the PFX back over to the Zulu line...most of my legs are quite short (30 mins-hour) and all of the setup time on the PFX I kinda feel is wasted time. All the planes I fly have panel power (my PFX does NOT have the bose plug) so I would be changing to that as well.

What say you PoA?

all of the setup time on the PFX I kinda feel is wasted time
What are you setting up each time? I just put it on my head, switch on the power, and go. All of the default settings are just fine for my use.

Anyhow.... I also have the PFX and don't see any need to switch to the Z3

Well, I have a zulu 2, like it and was wondering the same thing... what's the zulu 3 like? There's a pretty sweet upgrade offer from a 2 to a 3 and I'm thinking about it.

I'm going to crack open Pandora's Box with this question, but here we go:

I'm looking for an ANR headset for two purpose: one to use while I'm slowly drilling holes in the sky (2002 C172R), as well as serve as noise reducing headphones while at work (I'm a computer geek, and we just went to an "open concept" office, which means with all of the noise and my A.D.D., I basically get nothing done now).

So, I figured on killing two birds with one stone. Instead of spending $400 on a nice ANR set, and then another ~$1,000 for an aviation ANR set, a single headset for both purposes.

One thing I really don't like about Lightspeed's website is that it is nearly impossible to figure out the differences between all of the models they offer. So... that's been a struggle.

My intentions are to see if I can pick up an ANR set on the last day of Oshkosh. Last year I found a vendor that was selling them at cost, basically, but I was not prepared to plunk down that kind of cash for a headset at the time. I'll be prepared this year.

So... thoughts? Recommendations? I'll obviously be trying the headsets on for fit testing, but won't be able to wear them for more than five minutes or so. I'll need to wear them through most of an eight hour work day... plus flight time. I listen to music at work, am a bit of a music snob, so sound reproduction is important. I don't need or expect audiophile quality out of an aviation headset, but it does need to sound good.

Thanks in advance for any bones you toss my way.

I'm going to crack open Pandora's Box with this question, but here we go:

I'm looking for an ANR headset for two purpose: one to use while I'm slowly drilling holes in the sky (2002 C172R), as well as serve as noise reducing headphones while at work (I'm a computer geek, and we just went to an "open concept" office, which means with all of the noise and my A.D.D., I basically get nothing done now).

So, I figured on killing two birds with one stone. Instead of spending $400 on a nice ANR set, and then another ~$1,000 for an aviation ANR set, a single headset for both purposes.

One thing I really don't like about Lightspeed's website is that it is nearly impossible to figure out the differences between all of the models they offer. So... that's been a struggle.

My intentions are to see if I can pick up an ANR set on the last day of Oshkosh. Last year I found a vendor that was selling them at cost, basically, but I was not prepared to plunk down that kind of cash for a headset at the time. I'll be prepared this year.

So... thoughts? Recommendations? I'll obviously be trying the headsets on for fit testing, but won't be able to wear them for more than five minutes or so. I'll need to wear them through most of an eight hour work day... plus flight time. I listen to music at work, am a bit of a music snob, so sound reproduction is important. I don't need or expect audiophile quality out of an aviation headset, but it does need to sound good.

Thanks in advance for any bones you toss my way.

I'll make it easy for you. A.D.D. is disqualifying for flying. Save your money and just buy the $400 non-aviation model ;)

I'll make it easy for you. A.D.D. is disqualifying for flying. Save your money and just buy the $400 non-aviation model ;)

o_O Uh, unless you were being tongue-in-cheek, ADD is not a disqualifying diagnosis. Medications used for treatment are, however, which is the primary reason I do not use them.

What are you setting up each time? I just put it on my head, switch on the power, and go. All of the default settings are just fine for my use.

Anyhow.... I also have the PFX and don't see any need to switch to the Z3

Well, I can't turn the music all the way up without going through the full setup process which is my biggest complaint, although I do have one of the first PFXs so maybe a software update would fix that.

I've been an avid light speed fan since I started flying, and have nothing but good things to say about them. I do think the ANR on the PFX is probably a bit better than the Z3, but since I'm flying strictly turbine equipment now it's not a huge concern of mine. (the garretts are only loud outside the plane)

In the 207, the ANR differerence between my Z2s and the PFX was appreciable. I've been using my bosses Z2 since I fell out of the caravan door and landed on my PFX, certainly not my most graceful moment. To be quite honest, I can't tell the difference between the two in the caravan, but not going through FOUR batteries in 1-2 days will be nice on the pocketbook.

o_O Uh, unless you were being tongue-in-cheek, ADD is not a disqualifying diagnosis. Medications used for treatment are, however, which is the primary reason I do not use them.
I was, indeed being tongue in cheek (hence the winking smiley). That said, you are wrong, it is the diagnosis that is disqualifying. There are some old threads from Dr. Bruce describing the process for proving the original diagnosis was wrong (phsych evals and such). If you have never been prescribed the meds, you are probably not on record for the diagnosis, though, so carry on...

Last edited:
You want that someone in the lower 48 should ship you a charger and some batteries?

If I was responsible enough to remember to charge the batteries, it would be great!

Instead I'm gonna ship my PFX to LS after I get my Z3 and have them install the bose plug so I won't have to worry about batteries anymore. Then I'll have a backup should I decide to fall out of the plane headset in hand and break it again.

Went from a Z1 to a Z2 via their upgrade program after my Z1 literally got smashed into small pieces.

Didn't really notice any difference.

The Zulus are great, put almost 3k hours on my Z1, and though I fly less now my Z2 is doing great, turbines to backcountry, nothing bad to say about it.

I would just get a battery powered one though, the two AAs last long enough that ships power isn't exactly important.
Also I've played with a battery powered A20 and a lemo A20 and for some reason the normally battery powered one sounded better, not sure if that's the case with lightspeed as well

Back