Zepher engine report

Tom-D

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
Tom-D
A customer has a Zepher engine he got from Charley,(0-320-) we ran it today, started second blade up, and runs great, I can't tell it from a new one.

Great Job Charley.

Hey Tom......
You care to share how much the cost was to overhaul this engine.:dunno:

Hey Tom......

This engine was overhauled by replacing ALL of the parts with new ECI so it was quite expensive. ECI has now raised the price on the parts kit twice since this deal was made so it is getting impractical to do. We get $17,900 for "standard" O-320/360 engines. Charlie Melot Zephyr Engines

Last edited:
Hey Tom......

As you know I do not get involved with my customers dealings with parts suppliers, it is their credit card or what ever, and I simply supervise the installation.

This was a firewall forward completed by the owner, under my supervision.

This engine was overhauled by replacing ALL of the parts with new ECI so it was quite expensive. ECI has now raised the price on the parts kit twice since this deal was made so it is getting impractical to do. We get $17,900 for "standard" O-320/360 engines. Charlioe Melot Zephyr Engines

But it was not as expensive as getting a new engine from the factory, and we are certain all the parts are new, not re-sized to allowable limits.

I started using Zepher Engine as my cylinder shop due to an old friend retiring and the kid that took over can't wind his own watch.

I sent Charley a set of 0-360 cylinders, when they came back they looked new except they were .010" over, I rebuilt the 0-360, put it on a 2300# gross weight Supercub which is now in service on Vancouver island, Canada, It's now coming up on 1200 hours and the compression was 74/80 or better at last COA inspection, and the oil consumption is 1/2 quart between oil changes. it's been run on Phillips 20W50 since day 1 with cam guard after 25 hours.

During the above rebuild, Charley sent me 4 new piston pins, they came in their new boxes and were wrapped in cosmoline as all pins are, but when we unwrapped them they were corrosion pitted, I notified Charley and had 4 new pins in 3 days. those pins were a factory preservation issue, not Zepher Engines. but he made it good shipping and all.

Atta Boy Charley, keep up the great work.

In this business it's not that you won't make a mistake, it's what you do about it that counts.

But it was not as expensive as getting a new engine from the factory, and we are certain all the parts are new, not re-sized to allowable limits.

I started using Zepher Engine as my cylinder shop due to an old friend retiring and the kid that took over can't wind his own watch.

I sent Charley a set of 0-360 cylinders, when they came back they looked new except they were .010" over, I rebuilt the 0-360, put it on a 2300# gross weight Supercub which is now in service on Vancouver island, Canada, It's now coming up on 1200 hours and the compression was 74/80 or better at last COA inspection, and the oil consumption is 1/2 quart between oil changes. it's been run on Phillips 20W50 since day 1 with cam guard after 25 hours.

During the above rebuild, Charley sent me 4 new piston pins, they came in their new boxes and were wrapped in cosmoline as all pins are, but when we unwrapped them they were corrosion pitted, I notified Charley and had 4 new pins in 3 days. those pins were a factory preservation issue, not Zepher Engines. but he made it good shipping and all.

Atta Boy Charley, keep up the great work.

In this business it's not that you won't make a mistake, it's what you do about it that counts.

Thanks both of you... I was just curious as to the current pricing on rebuilds. I have heard nothing but great reports on Zepher... Before I moved to Jackson Hole I lived in Apopka Fla and did ALOT of auto racing in his area.....

Ben.

Back