Zenith Workshop

Tinman

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Tinman
I am thinking about taking worksop at the Zenith factory for their CH701 model. Has anyone done this and what were your impressions of it?

Scott, Thanks for the link. I am looking at the 701 not the 601 which is having the problem. I haven't decided yet as to which home built to go with but I am looking at everything that I can.
Speed is not critical as I spend most of my flight time just cruising around the local area. Any info or suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Tinman,
Good call on the 701 ... it is a solid plane. Also, not all 601s had the wing issue ... the 601 and 601HDS are fine and have been flying for year. The only reason I would consider the 601XL issue is if you are ordering partial kits and can't/won't scratch build from the plans. I hope Zenith remains a viable business, but it's hard to tell these days when a twisted ankle is a lawsuit. Regardless, the 701 is a pretty straight forward plane and you can always finish from the plans.

Now to answer your original question. My wife and I did the 601HDS tail workshop years ago (before quickbuild was even an option) and I thought it was excellent. I'd not worked with aluminum before and by the end of the weekend my wife ... who won't use anything but a hammer at home ... was drilling holes, deburring, pulling rivets and snipping aluminum.. We left with a completed vertical tail and I found myself pretty comfortable moving forward on the horizontal tail. Unfortunately, a series of 7 moves over the following 10 years has left my 601 crated for way too long.

Best of luck with the 701, it is a really neat airplane.

Jeff

Jeff, Thanks for the input. I how you feel about moves. We moved 5 times in 4 years. Each time caused me to go to a different flight school for training. Not to mention about instructors moving on to bigger and better things. Hope you can get back to your project soon.

How long did it take you to build the 801? Quickbuild?

Great little plane. I'd love to build one. Not much call for a STOL bushplane in New Jersey, but it would still be fun.

How long did it take you to build the 801? Quickbuild?

Great little plane. I'd love to build one. Not much call for a STOL bushplane in New Jersey, but it would still be fun.

NO quick builds when I built mine. I drilled all 14,210 rivet holes..:goofy:
The factory 'suggested' about 800 hours to build the basic airframe, not including panel, paint, interior and firewall forward. I bet they are pretty darn close. I have about 1000 hours firewall rearward in mine.

From the firewall to the tip of the spinner added another 2000 hours. :rolleyes2::rolleyes2:

It was self induced insanity.:cool2::cool2::cheerswine:

Ben
www.haaspowerair.com

N801BH Thanks for the input. I've decided to go for a workshop in September to see what I am actually getting into. Of course my wife thinks I'm crazy, but she has been thinking that for 36 years. How many months/years did it take you to finish? Did you have any problems with part quality etc?

N801BH Thanks for the input. I've decided to go for a workshop in September to see what I am actually getting into. Of course my wife thinks I'm crazy, but she has been thinking that for 36 years. How many months/years did it take you to finish? Did you have any problems with part quality etc?

Sorry for the delay, I just returned from OSH.

I picked up my kit in Feb 2001 and flew it in Apr 2004.

Parts quality was good. One or two things were left out of the kit, I called Zenith and they shipped them out the same day. They are a great bunch of guys and gals there.
I will warn you, once you attend the rudder workshop you will be addicted for life and there is a high probability you will finish and fly your homebuilt.

Ben.

Ben thanks for your comments. I'm about 95% sure that I'm going to do this. I'm thinking the 2 day work shop will eliminate any other doubts and questions I may have.

Back