Zenith CH650 disadvantages

Gray's comments remind me of a software development saying "If it works the first time, you did something wrong."

There are some good books on aircraft wiring, I've read a lot of good things about Bob McKnuckolls' (sp) book.

My goal for building is to have an air worthy plane to fly while I build so I'll be less likely to get get-her-done-itis.
I started my Navy career as an avionics tech so wiring doesn't scare me too much. Might need to read some things as a refresher but I've done my fair share of wiring with regular wires, coax, fiber, etc...

Just be careful and make sure it’s 650s you are looking at and not the 601. They look very similar but the 601 had a history of wing failures. There was a retrofit kit to fix the design issue on the 601 but my understanding is that it is not easy to do once the plane is built. It’s possible, but not easy.

Before my first nose roller Sonex I considered building a Zenith 601. This was actually just before the wing folding incidents became known.

My first reason for rejecting it was that I saw one at a Lumberton fly-in and the wing skins were "oil canning" in the hot sun and it looked terrible (IIRC the wing skin was 0.016).

Secondly was the wing spar size and mounting as compared to a Sonex.

Thirdly was the fact that the design didn't (at that time) appear to offer much rollover protection for folks in the cockpit.

The recline of the seats kinda put me off also but I could have dealt with that or changed it during the build.

Overall I like the designs that Chris Heintz has come up with but the early 601 was a no go for me ...

I built a 601. Wouldn't do it again as I hated the experience. I could have bought one with a better engine for $10k less than it cost me to build mine.

I know there are people out there who enjoy building. Clearly I live in a different world, because I will never understand them.

That's a pretty rare thing to hear. Obviously you do live in a different world from me. A lot of people having done it would never do it again, but they still value the experience. Most of the haters are the ones that sell the half built project at a loss. But yes, in many cases you can buy a flying plane for less than it cost to build it.

Me, I haven't built an airplane (yet). I know I'd love it (though it'd have to be my own design), pretty much all my life I've been building things I could probably buy cheaper, but right now I have too many other projects filling my time.

I was looking at purchasing a Cessna 172…

…the wife recently said we should build a plane.

This points to building a 750 Cruzer. Go to one of the Zenith “Rudder Workshops” and get a demo ride for yourself and your wife. Do everything you can to retain the support of your wife.

I built a 601XL-B, which is a 650 in all but name. An overwhelmingly positive experience, and with some frustrations as anything in life will have. Have also purchased a 750 kit which I will pick up this spring and am very much looking forward to repeating the build experience with a modern kit.

A factor to consider is what do you want to be flying 10 years from now? In my case, a “hold my beer” injury a few years ago sometimes impacts my mobility, so entry and egress of something like the 601 can become an issue.

Can any part 103 ultralight kit like an Aerolite 103 be registered EAB, or ELSA and get a N number so owner can fly it over populated areas, and land at controlled airports?

Can any part 103 ultralight kit like an Aerolite 103 be registered EAB, or ELSA and get a N number so owner can fly it over populated areas, and land at controlled airports?
I don't know about the Aerolite 103, but if the kit involves enough work by the builder to meet the 51% rule according to the FAA checklist, then yes, it can be EAB. If it's a "bolt together" kit with most of the work done at the factory, or if you buy it used and can't document that it was amateur built, then no.

ELSA registration is limited to new approved ELSA kits, or factory built SLSAs that have had a paperwork conversion to ELSA.

I don't know about the Aerolite 103, but if the kit involves enough work by the builder to meet the 51% rule according to the FAA checklist, then yes, it can be EAB. If it's a "bolt together" kit with most of the work done at the factory, or if you buy it used and can't document that it was amateur built, then no.

ELSA registration is limited to new approved ELSA kits, or factory built SLSAs that have had a paperwork conversion to ELSA.

I believe the Aerolite 103 would meet those checklist requirements, but if registered as an EAB could still be flown by someone with a light sport certificate. Really no reason to bother with trying to find an ELSA kit if one has a light sport certificate. Just need to find a kit that can meet the requirements of LSA. Example would be a sonex with the right pitch prop make it so won't exceed the 120 knots speed limit of an LSA and it already meets the gross limits under 1320 lbs.

Back