Zapata County TX - anybody been there?

Clark1961

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Display name:
Looks like I have to visit a few obscure parts of Texas next week. Anybody been to Zapata County (APY)? Any problems with CBP in that area? My flight may appear suspicious to the paranoids amongst the LE crowd. It will be entirely legit...well, I may transport an energy drink across state lines without a tax stamp but that's a risk I'm willing to take. ;-)

Never been there but last year the world hang gliding distance record was set on a flight out of Zapata. big article in the New York Times about it. a friend hosts a world record encampment for hang gliders and sailplanes every year. they get some impressive flights.

Never been there but last year the world hang gliding distance record was set on a flight out of Zapata. big article in the New York Times about it. a friend hosts a world record encampment for hang gliders and sailplanes every year. they get some impressive flights.

Well, maybe there will be some interesting folks around...and maybe it'll be just a bit bumpy getting in and out. Bet it's summer there already.

Airlines and general aviation are about equal on this trip. Texas has some good connections through Dallas and Houston. I'll probably take the 'kota just for flexibility and try to beat the heat down south.

Back