Zaon MRX-A Calibration ?

Aviator1945

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Aviator1945
For those who have ZAON MRX-A I need to recalibrate mine could you please help.

I need to know where should I set an item on the Administrative Menu.
P000 128 is what it shows on My MRX-A admin menu.
here are my settings for my field KTCY

RAN 5.0
ALT 2000 (feet)

Admin Menu
ALT 002
POOO 128
Based on Kollsman window altimeter pressure altitude of 29.92 of C172 Based on the field
Zaon Aero's Customer service is horrendous and non existent. I have called multiple times sent a fax and an email absolutely No response what so ever from the company . all I get is arecorded message on their phone line !

:redface:

KTCY elevation is 190ft not to 2000ft. What appears to be the problem when flying the MRX?

José

There has to be some hellacious high baro pressure to displace the true altitude by 1800'.

I had to recalibrate mine, as it was regularly reporting aircraft (that I could see) as being several hundred feet different. The procedure, starting on page 31, was pretty clear and easy.

Attachments

• MRX-manual.pdf
    3.4 MB · Views: 20
KTCY elevation is 190ft not to 2000ft. What appears to be the problem when flying the MRX?

José

True ! Ktcy is 193 feet. field elevation I show that in the "Admin Alt "setting at
ALT 002. (200 feet)
But what is the next setting of "POO0 128" in the Admin Menu which I may have inadverently messed up ?

There has to be some hellacious high baro pressure to displace the true altitude by 1800'.

thanks,
but you are looking at a different setting ! I know the field elevation at KTCY is 193 feet.( and is reflected in the Alt menu as Alt. 002)
the setting I am talking about is in the "ADmin Menu ". Alt 002 shows the setting at Alt 002 ( 200 feet) it's the next setting that reads "POOO 128"
I am not sure what that is ? or where that be set or left alone ?

I had to recalibrate mine, as it was regularly reporting aircraft (that I could see) as being several hundred feet different. The procedure, starting on page 31, was pretty clear and easy.

TIM
I have the manual ! I need to know the setting in the" administrative menu " Page31 . "1st Item" I took care as per instructions sat in the Cessna 172 at the field and set it at Alt 002=200 feet based on the knollsman's window of the aircraft's altimeter pressure altitude of 29.92 !

"item number 2" in that menu that Reads "POOO 128" that I don't know where to set ?

Zaon Aero's Customer service is horrendous and non existent. I have called multiple times sent a fax and an email absolutely No response what so ever from the company . all I get is arecorded message on their phone line !

While their web site is up ( http://www.zaon.aero/ ) several people (including my own attempt this morning) seem unable to get through to them by phone, fax, or email:

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64965
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=105824

Not looking good....

I bought a XRX, and sold it almost immediately. Some like it. But its best use is an aural warning that something is near. WHERE is ambiguous.

Dump it. Zaon is out of business.

Sad they had a good product, but an ethical company first would have informed it's customers it's closing doors or have it at least on their Voice mail, these guys just ran away !:mad:

Dump it. Zaon is out of business.

Nooo!!!. I still have my Hallicrafters short wave radio and still working good. Think about it, on many items the creator is gone but the product still good. When your parents go under does that mean you need to be dumped?

José

Sad they had a good product, but an ethical company first would have informed it's customers it's closing doors or have it at least on their Voice mail, these guys just ran away !:mad:

This is typical of small companies. It could very well be that the owner (one man company) suffered a stroke or sudden death and there is no one left in the company to notify customers. Happens every day.

José

Alt 002 shows the setting at Alt 002 ( 200 feet) it's the next setting that reads "POOO 128"
I am not sure what that is ? or where that be set or left alone ?
Maybe the target range in feet at which the annunciation "POOO!" will sound? :)

I was seriously looking at getting one of these things. Are they worth it?

Someone mentioned the direction isn't terribly accurate, I know there's a cheaper model that just gives distance/altitude. Better to get that one?

Any other gadgets that do this?

Someone mentioned the direction isn't terribly accurate, I know there's a cheaper model that just gives distance/altitude. Better to get that one?

From the reviews I've read, I would get the newer one. I think giving you a quadrant to look in is better than no directional indication at all. New ones are being advertised for around $900, and they are also available used on eBay. I'm still trying to decide whether the company's alleged closure is a show-stopper.

I have the Zaon MRX (the cheaper unit.) The MRX displays estimated range in miles (e.g. 1.2) and difference in altitude in hundreds of feet (e.g. -2) of the most threatening target.

Most midairs occur near airports, but I think that is also where it is most difficult to take advantage of its warnings and alerts. Normally I can tell which aircraft in the pattern or on the ground that it is alerting me to, so it is somewhat redundant. Obviously the alerts to unseen/unheard traffic are the most useful.

Observing how the range and altitude difference change with time can clue you into whether you have plenty of time to spot the bogey because it is roughly pacing you (somewhere!), or it is closing so fast that it is likely somewhere ahead of you. I've had a couple of the latter exciting moments well away from airports. While no collision was likely, I doubt I would have seen the other airplane if the MRX hadn't alerted me to its existence.

Depends on your budget and the kinds of limitations you are willing to live with.

SkyguardTWX is probably the least expensive ADS-B transceiver that would give you much more traffic (and weather) information than the Zaon XRX could ever provide. Also, you may only be able to amortize the unit's cost over the next 6 years if they can't get their units fully approved by 2020.

Next up in cost (I think) is the NavWorx unit, which has the current advantage over the Skyguard unit of being TSO approved.

Lots of people sell ADS-B in (receivers) for less than the SkyguardTWX, but you'll only get traffic in areas where someone else nearby has an ADS-B transmitter to trigger traffic info from the ground radar and other ADS-B out equipped aircraft.

I think I read somewhere that ADS-B provides traffic information over a smaller percentage of the country than a Zaon does.

I think I read somewhere that ADS-B provides traffic information over a smaller percentage of the country than a Zaon does.

The Zaon relies only and entirely on information in Mode C transponder replies. The ADS-B in systems rely on information from other ADS-B out aircraft or ground transmitters that get their information from radar - the ground transmitters would probably not yet cover the same areas as surveillance radar.

I have the Zaon MRX (the cheaper unit.) The MRX displays estimated range in miles (e.g. 1.2) and difference in altitude in hundreds of feet (e.g. -2) of the most threatening target.

Most midairs occur near airports, but I think that is also where it is most difficult to take advantage of its warnings and alerts. Normally I can tell which aircraft in the pattern or on the ground that it is alerting me to, so it is somewhat redundant. Obviously the alerts to unseen/unheard traffic are the most useful.

Observing how the range and altitude difference change with time can clue you into whether you have plenty of time to spot the bogey because it is roughly pacing you (somewhere!), or it is closing so fast that it is likely somewhere ahead of you. I've had a couple of the latter exciting moments well away from airports. While no collision was likely, I doubt I would have seen the other airplane if the MRX hadn't alerted me to its existence.

Depends on your budget and the kinds of limitations you are willing to live with.

SkyguardTWX is probably the least expensive ADS-B transceiver that would give you much more traffic (and weather) information than the Zaon XRX could ever provide. Also, you may only be able to amortize the unit's cost over the next 6 years if they can't get their units fully approved by 2020.

Next up in cost (I think) is the NavWorx unit, which has the current advantage over the Skyguard unit of being TSO approved.

Lots of people sell ADS-B in (receivers) for less than the SkyguardTWX, but you'll only get traffic in areas where someone else nearby has an ADS-B transmitter to trigger traffic info from the ground radar and other ADS-B out equipped aircraft.

Yeah I already have a 1st gen Stratus for ADS-B, I don't ever see traffic on it, I don't really want to invest in an ADS-B out solution just yet either.

Right now I'm mostly flying into uncontrolled fields that don't have a great deal of traffic but I've had close encounters with some traffic not on their radio and not spotted until it might have been too late to do anything if they'd been on a collision course. A little help finding those guys is what I'm after.

I have the Monroy Traffic Watch that works pretty well. Works anywhere with no need of ground ADS-B stations required. I use it in the Bahamas and the Caribbean.

Check it at http://www.monroyaero.com/ATD300V10.pdf

It can be used either portable or panel mounted.

José

Back