Z06_Mir is no more...

Not a matter of jealousy. A matter of curiosity. I'm obviously in the wrong business. She's light-years ahead of where I and everyone else I knew and know at that age were/are at. Hell, she's ahead of where I'm at now. So, I'm wondering what I should be doing to be bringing in the money she is.

But, when the question gets ignored, you have to wonder why.
Why would she feel she needs to reveal her financial situation on a public forum? Especially to satisfy your curiosity.

There are obviously people here who will post about practically anything and some who would rather not.

Why would she feel she needs to reveal her financial situation on a public forum? Especially to satisfy your curiosity.

There are obviously people here who will post about practically anything and some who would rather not.

:yeahthat:

5 years ago when I was in the same situation (when I bought the Aztec), I didn't appreciate the questions and also wasn't interested in giving answers.

Not a matter of jealousy. A matter of curiosity. I'm obviously in the wrong business. She's light-years ahead of where I and everyone else I knew and know at that age were/are at. Hell, she's ahead of where I'm at now. So, I'm wondering what I should be doing to be bringing in the money she is.

But, when the question gets ignored, you have to wonder why.

Because it's none of your damn business what I do. Yeah, my parents paid for my private. I own half of an airplane with my partner, when I'm not flying with him I typically split time with other friends. I graduated college. I have a job as a CSR, I'm a freelance CFI and I buy and sell various vehicles. I live with two other people in a 2bd 2bth apartment. I don't waste money on stupid crap, I don't go out to bars every weekend and I generally am pretty frugal. You can dictate your lifestyle by what you're willing to give up.

And Chrysler I like if all you care about is the diesel engine.

Interested to see how the market likes the new Dodge 1/2 ton diesel. About time someone finally did that.

Rumor is Ford is trying to work a deal with Cummins to sell them the plans for one of the older Cummins designs. I guess they're throwing in the towel on getting their own Diesel engines right.

Because it's none of your damn business what I do. Yeah, my parents paid for my private. I own half of an airplane with my partner, when I'm not flying with him I typically split time with other friends. I graduated college. I have a job as a CSR, I'm a freelance CFI and I buy and sell various vehicles. I live with two other people in a 2bd 2bth apartment. I don't waste money on stupid crap, I don't go out to bars every weekend and I generally am pretty frugal. You can dictate your lifestyle by what you're willing to give up.

Heh. You could have stopped at the first sentence . Haha. ;)

I always get a kick out of folks who ask "How do you afford that?!" and then glaze over at the long list of things I don't buy or do, in response. Or do myself to save bucks.

I don't think they mean any harm, they just have weird views of what they "must" spend money on.

I felt weird paying the Jiffy Lube to change the oil in the diesel after I showed up with my own oil and filter. Heh. But it was 10F that weekend and I wimped out. ;)

Escrow accounts for real estate are another one. You want me to pay you $50 a year in "management" fees for a savings account? No thanks. They give those away free at my credit union. How much money do you want me to put in it? I know how to pay my own tax and insurance bills, thanks. What are you doing, paying someone to sit there and count it every week?

Interested to see how the market likes the new Dodge 1/2 ton diesel. About time someone finally did that.

Emissions are typically the issue on diesel engines going in something smaller than 3/4-ton trucks.

Rumor is Ford is trying to work a deal with Cummins to sell them the plans for one of the older Cummins designs. I guess they're throwing in the towel on getting their own Diesel engines right.

Yeah, I really liked the various 7.3L diesels. They were very reliable (albeit loud).

When I bought my Dodge in '04, I had the opportunity to buy a new F-250/350 on the "X-plan", which would have saved me some money. At the time, the 6.0L was the diesel Ford was using, and I'd been hearing too many problems with them. I wanted a manual, which excluded GM/Duramax already. So I went with the Dodge since it was easy to get the Cummins and a 6-speed. Although the truck itself had a few weird issues with it, the engine and transmission were flawless for the 108,000 miles I put on it in the exactly 2 years (to the day) I owned it. That said, what I wish I'd done was buy a 7.3L 4x4 Excursion, which I would still have today if I'd bought it.

I don't think they mean any harm, they just have weird views of what they "must" spend money on.

Yep. No cable here, our TV is an old rear projector that cost $200, my wife's truck is 11 years old, my car is 21 years old, I do all the work on both myself, the list goes on.

One thing about the original post made my day -- the part of must have a manual transmission. Of my five cars, two are SUVs and don't come with manuals. Had to order the BMW in order to get a manual. Fortunately, the Porsche and Civic Si were built "right."

As they say in Car&Driver: Save the Manuals!

One thing about the original post made my day -- the part of must have a manual transmission. Of my five cars, two are SUVs and don't come with manuals. Had to order the BMW in order to get a manual. Fortunately, the Porsche and Civic Si were built "right."

I own a Jeep that's an auto (a Commander to be exact), and I've had that for 6 years. I've owned a "second" vehicle for 5 of those years and they've all had a manual. Autos are borrrrrrring. :sleep:

My buddy has a 2004 or 5 CTS-V that he has putting out about 600rwhp. That thing is an absolute blast to ride in.

A CTS and a Subaru sti are on my very short list of vehicles that I would buy to replace my current ride. Insurance on anything that doesn't have 4 doors when you're under 25 is a real *****.

Oddly enough, my fire-breathing 160hp locomotive of a motorcycle costs less than my honda civic to insure.

Nice wheels, Miranda - if I come to Phoenix could I get a ride? I'll buy lunch.

My buddy has a 2004 or 5 CTS-V that he has putting out about 600rwhp. That thing is an absolute blast to ride in.

A CTS and a Subaru sti are on my very short list of vehicles that I would buy to replace my current ride. Insurance on anything that doesn't have 4 doors when you're under 25 is a real *****.

Oddly enough, my fire-breathing 160hp locomotive of a motorcycle costs less than my honda civic to insure.

Insurance companies are funny.

The V and the Corvette are about 11 dollars every six months different. You should see the 2009+ V's though, they are heads above the 04/05 in terms of interior finishes. But then again, everything GM made in 2005 was plastic based.

Dad had a sign in his garage:

"Don't ban high-performance cars, ban low-performance drivers!"

I don't know where he got it or what triggered the purchase, but we kept it. ;)

I had driven autos for so long before getting the truck, I'd forgotten how much I like notching through gears. It does make texting and driving harder though.

Ha. Kidding... Juuuuuust kidding....

Heh. You could have stopped at the first sentence . Haha. ;)

I always get a kick out of folks who ask "How do you afford that?!" and then glaze over at the long list of things I don't buy or do, in response. Or do myself to save bucks.

I felt weird paying the Jiffy Lube to change the oil in the diesel after I showed up with my own oil and filter. Heh. But it was 10F that weekend and I wimped out. ;)

Escrow accounts for real estate are another one. You want me to pay you $50 a year in "management" fees for a savings account? No thanks. They give those away free at my credit union. How much money do you want me to put in it? I know how to pay my own tax and insurance bills, thanks. What are you doing, paying someone to sit there and count it every week?

It's simple. If you want to have something expensive like a CTS-V then don't have kids. A new Corvette is way cheaper than having 3...4...5 kids. And WAY more fun too!

It's simple. If you want to have something expensive like a CTS-V then don't have kids. A new Corvette is way cheaper than having 3...4...5 kids. And WAY more fun too!

I have 3 kids, the only thing more fun the kids is when you practice making them :rofl:.

The vette and plane are just hobbies :goofy:

I had driven autos for so long before getting the truck, I'd forgotten how much I like notching through gears. It does make texting and driving harder though.

Ha. Kidding... Juuuuuust kidding....

If you can't text and drive with a manual, then you're a rookie. :goofy::nono:

I had only stick shift vehicles the last 17 years. My latest car (BMW 128) is an automatic. I am happy. It is very responsive, and much easier in a traffic jam.

Kids are more fun than toys and hobbies.

Wicked nice car, but I don't think it will haul much firewood......

Kids are more fun than toys and hobbies.

Maybe in your 30's. I'm still enjoying my 20's, doing things that I want to do before I have kids like make split second travel decisions, drive vehicles that don't make sense and generally have a good time. Kids can come when I'm ready but toys and hobbies are great for awhile :yesnod:

Maybe in your 30's. I'm still enjoying my 20's, doing things that I want to do before I have kids like make split second travel decisions, drive vehicles that don't make sense and generally have a good time. Kids can come when I'm ready but toys and hobbies are great for awhile :yesnod:

Yet you traded your Vette for a family car/grocery getter :)

Age is just a number and kids don't preclude anything you mentioned.

Last edited:
Age is just a number and kids don't preclude anything you mentioned.

True, but they absolutely change the dynamics of how you can partake in said hobbies, at least if you want to actually be a good parent and be around for their upbringing (and at least for my hobbies).

I'd say that she's got the right idea.

True, but they absolutely change the dynamics of how you can partake in said hobbies, at least if you want to actually be a good parent and be around for their upbringing (and at least for my hobbies).

I'd say that she's got the right idea.

Which one of your hobbies would preclude you from being a good parent or not around?

Last edited:
Which one of your hobbies would preclude you from being a good parent or not around?

All my major hobbies have been impacted:

1) Motorcycles (can't take kid with, and until he gets to a point where we can leave him for a bit, we can't take off riding together)
2) Flying (not doing as many of the Cloud Nine trips because that's time away from family)
3) Wrenching in the garage (sure, kiddo likes being in the garage... for a bit)

Last year I rode the motorcycle about 100 miles instead of the previously typical 3,000+. My ride to work isn't something I feel safe on (I probably wouldn't have cared so much pre-kid), and I'm not going to just take off on the back roads for fun solo. We aim to keep Cloud Nine trips to 1 per month, and although we've done some $100 hamburgers, there's no question that the plane sits more than it did previously. And I have parts that have been sitting in my garage for a year not on my car.

In a few years, sure, he'll be able to participate and I'll regain some of that. But there is no doubt in my mind the lifestyle I had prior to becoming a parent has no chance of returning in its fullest state for decades. So I'm glad I did what I did when I did it.

All my major hobbies have been impacted:

1) Motorcycles (can't take kid with, and until he gets to a point where we can leave him for a bit, we can't take off riding together)
2) Flying (not doing as many of the Cloud Nine trips because that's time away from family)
3) Wrenching in the garage (sure, kiddo likes being in the garage... for a bit)

Last year I rode the motorcycle about 100 miles instead of the previously typical 3,000+. My ride to work isn't something I feel safe on (I probably wouldn't have cared so much pre-kid), and I'm not going to just take off on the back roads for fun solo. We aim to keep Cloud Nine trips to 1 per month, and although we've done some $100 hamburgers, there's no question that the plane sits more than it did previously. And I have parts that have been sitting in my garage for a year not on my car.

In a few years, sure, he'll be able to participate and I'll regain some of that. But there is no doubt in my mind the lifestyle I had prior to becoming a parent has no chance of returning in its fullest state for decades. So I'm glad I did what I did when I did it.

Valid points. I'm trying to replace previous hobbies with fam friendly ones. Boat replacing waverunner etc. like you I have dialed back my motorcycle riding as well.

Valid points. I'm trying to replace previous hobbies with fam friendly ones. Boat replacing waverunner etc. like you I have dialed back my motorcycle riding as well.

Keep the waverunner, the kids love them. I had my kids just about the right age as far as I am concerned, meaning what was best for me. I started at 28, had three and the last one will be going off to college next year, I'll be 52. A few years of no kids, then I expect grand kids, God willing I will stay it good health. On the other hand I have friends my age with 5 year old kids, some of them starting very late with kids. More power to them I say, but the older you get the more they tire you out.

Is Vodka a hobby?

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

(I may be drinking vodka right now.... Grey Goose FTW)

Nothing against kids or anything, I'm just not ready to have them. Some people are OK with having kids in their mid-20's and younger and are ready for them. I'm not one of those people. Heck, my boyfriend and I have been dating 4.5 years, own an airplane together, are purchasing a home together and haven't gotten married yet. Just because I bought a family sedan doesn't mean the family is here yet ;)

I love it- someone called a CTS-V with a clutch a "grocery-getter."

OK, a P-51 is a single-engine airplane. Just a single. :D

Love life as you choose- have fun! That's why they're called "choices."

And, the "Envy" lamp is still on...

Some people are OK with having kids in their mid-20's and younger and are ready for them. I'm not one of those people.

No sweat, you have LOTS of time, go have fun. I didn't get married until 37, bought a house at 38, and had a kid at 39.

For me it was the right way to do it, no way in hell I would have wanted kids in my mid-20's.

I love it- someone called a CTS-V with a clutch a "grocery-getter."

OK, a P-51 is a single-engine airplane. Just a single. :D

Love life as you choose- have fun! That's why they're called "choices."

And, the "Envy" lamp is still on...

Compared to a vette...yup. Just busting her chops, they're great cars.

It is. P-38 is where it's at. :D

2 critical engines that sound like a dragon having sex. Purrrrrrrr

It's too bad the contract that lockheed had with allison didnt allow them to put Merlins on the P38s. They had 2 test airframes and the flight tests showed a 50mph increase in top speed up high and an extra 1500fpm climbrate. It made it a whole new airplane.

Even more droolworthy would be a mosquito with 2 griffon engines and contra-rotating propellers

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolls-Royce_Griffon

Back