Yummy

Missa

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
AsGoodAsCake
Just had some Veggie laden Cous Cous.... It's going to become a staple in my diet. Thanks. :yesnod: You know who you are!

Staples aren't good for your diet! :D

I think I'd rather eat whatever I found in the backyard. That sounds absolutely disgusting. (Yes, I've tried kuskus)

No idea what that is but I'm making cookies and wanted to brag too. Made sugar and chocolate chip cookie sandwhiches with icing in the middle. mmm!!

I think I'd rather eat whatever I found in the backyard. That sounds absolutely disgusting. (Yes, I've tried kuskus)

Oh for the sake of Muphy its just pasta! Do you consider linguini so vile? How about lasagna? Coucous is just semolina dough extruded fine and cut short. Resembles rice in texture and appearance. A common ingredient in Steinholme cuisine.

You might not like the more common treatment, which is more Mediterranean rather that Italian. Sux for you. Figures. Damn Michiginas.

I love couscous - I introduced my family to it back in June... they weren't too sure about it at first. Now they like it.

A common ingredient in Steinholme cuisine.

That's enough to make me recondider eating it... :lol:

You might not like the more common treatment, which is more Mediterranean rather that Italian. Sux for you. Figures. Damn Michiginas.

Don't be dissing the Michigianas!!!! A Michigianan Started this thread!!!!!!

I may live in Pennsilvania now but untill I've lived here for more then 30 years I'm still just a Michigianan living somewhere else.

Yum, I love couscous. Here's a picture of what it is for people who are unfamiliar.

couscous.jpg

Wait....I'm retarded. I was thinking hummus. Tried em both within a couple days of each other. Couscous is ok, but I prefer rice.

Yum, I love couscous. Here's a picture of what it is for people who are unfamiliar.

couscous.jpg

Wow that doesn't look near as appitizing as what I had. My veggies were raw and crunchy. Cucumber, green onion and red peper. YUMMY. I'm not sure if I got the recipie from camping right I just threw in what I thought was in it and it turned out realyl good.

Wow that doesn't look near as appitizing as what I had. My veggies were raw and crunchy. Cucumber, green onion and red peper. YUMMY. I'm not sure if I got the recipie from camping right I just threw in what I thought was in it and it turned out realyl good.

Where's the beef?

{;-)

Jim

Where's the beef?

{;-)

Jim

It was right next to the Cous Cous on my plate. A nice thick cut sirlon drowned in Soy Sauce and this really good mixed steak seasoning fresh ground over top. Unfortunatly where I planned on grilling it, my tank ran out so it turned into 1/2 grilled, 1/2 broiled in the oven. It was already late and I woudn't have eaten until 9pm if I ran out for more gas.

But one can not survive on beef alone so I paired it with Cous Cous mixed with raw veggies and some blueberry wine (it was open) .

Excellent meal. Just don't try and dump the 2 pounds of leftover Cous Cous down the drain. Don't ask Lance why.... :wink2:

Excellent meal. Just don't try and dump the 2 pounds of leftover Cous Cous down the drain. Don't ask Lance why.... :wink2:

No No No The leftovers will be eaten over the next couple of days.... it's good cold.

Wait....I'm retarded. I was thinking hummus. Tried em both within a couple days of each other. Couscous is ok, but I prefer rice.

The only thing better than hummus on pita is...

...more hummus! How can you not like something flavored with sesame, garlic, and olive oil? OK, maybe a matter of taste. Could be you have not-so-good hummus. Wouldn't surprise me being in Michigan* and all.

*actually, the Michigan stuff is mostly due to the civic duty in my location. Detroit has the largest Lebanese population outside of Lebanon, and I would imagine a wealth of really yummy Mediterranean cuisine.

By the way, Saturday I was given a bunch of fresh tomatoes. Sunday I spent most of the day turning them into curry sauce. Had it on cauliflower and seitan the other night. Mmm, mmm good. That, some brown rice and a bit of chutney made one heck of a meal. Got a bout 10 quarts left. Very healthy, and very flavorful. Should feed us for the rest of the year.

*actually, the Michigan stuff is mostly due to the civic duty in my location. Detroit has the largest Lebanese population outside of Lebanon, and I would imagine a wealth of really yummy Mediterranean cuisine.

I can attest to the yummyness above all others of Greater Detroit Hummas. It's the food I miss the most here as there is NO decient (let alone good) middle eastern food in centeral PA. I've also had none in Cloumbus that even compares to the stuff in Dearborn or Royal Oak/Troy area of the Detroit suburbs.

Dah. Toledo has a couple really good Lebanese places, but not as good here in C'bus.

Actually I have couscous in the panty and enjoy it...bought some from Schwanns last month - WoW a clove of garlic in every bite!

You musta had bad hummus. I'm a practicing carnivore, but I like hummus. Good spread on pita bread, or can be used in lieu of dip on carrots. I prefer the extra-garlic variety, myself. :yes:

You musta had bad hummus. I'm a practicing carnivore, but I like hummus. Good spread on pita bread, or can be used in lieu of dip on carrots. I prefer the extra-garlic variety, myself. :yes:

Or I just didn't like it. I don't like watermelon either.

Everyone is entitled to their own tastes. I just thought the couscous thing sounded weird.

The Rainbow Lounge in FTW is widely known for catering to that life-style locally.

Dah. Toledo has a couple really good Lebanese places, but not as good here in C'bus.

I just got a CrocPot to make such - beans and rice and meat things.

Can you point me to a good recipe?

My biggest challenge, next to getting my act together to gather the ingredients and make it first thing in the morning, is going to be staying away as I smell it cooking all day.

Can't help you in the meat department, but rice and beans is another big-time staple of the Steinholme. I would imagine that dead animal can be used sparingly, just to get the deep meat flavor to permeate the dish. At least, that's how I would do it if I ate that sort of thing.

Most of my bean dishes start life as dry beans, which get soaked overnight and boiled an hour or two depending on the bean. While the beans boil I sauté onions, garlic, peppers (if I'm using them, and I usually do) and spices in some oil, usually olive. Once the onions are half-done (not crispy but not transparent) I add the vegetables that need a long time to cook (shrooms, broccoli, carrots etc...), then the ones that don't need so long. In another pot I cook up some flour and oil (or butter) and add that with some wine, vegetable stock, beer, or whatever liquid I have around that I think might go with the veggies and spices. If I get really adventurous I'll add some TVP or seitan, and of course the cooked beans with enough of their cook water to make it the consistency I want (more for stews, more still for soups). Gets cooked on low for awhile and then served over rice with a salad and maybe some chutney.

If I were cooking meat I would sauté it first, and butter and flour (in equal portions) to the drippings to make the liquid base. Sorry I don't have a recipe, haven't used one for rice and beans for years. I usually use whatever I have around and just mix until it tastes good.

One o' dem other Mikes has the right idea:

I usually use whatever I have around and just mix until it tastes good.

You could start with beef stew. Cubes of beef, potatoes, carrots, peas, some spices, a beer (not kidding, try it!), and whatever else you happen to want to throw in there. Piece of cake.

mikea said:
My biggest challenge, next to getting my act together to gather the ingredients and make it first thing in the morning, is going to be staying away as I smell it cooking all day.

Heh - I used to have a crock pot for my truck (hmmm, gotta find that sucker again) and I'd cook beef stew in it. After about an hour or so, I'd start to smell it and get hungry - But fairly quickly I'd become desensitized to the smell and keep going.

Eventually I'd stop for lunch somewhere, and after spending 15 minutes away from the truck buying lunch, I'd return to find that I could once again smell the beef stew even outside my truck - And a handful of other truck drivers walking around in the vicinity, sniffing to figure out where the smell was coming from! :rofl:

I made my infamous "Vomit" last night.

My girlfriend loved it, just as I knew she would.

Its a secret recipe. Only 2 people know it. And you all wish you did (I guarantee it).

IMG_0018.JPG

Here's a recipe for something that sounds like what you described, Missa; a Cucumber Cous Cous Salad (picture above is NOT of the recipe below):

http://www.mealsmatter.org/recipes-meals/recipe/14974

Look up Borracho beans (Mexican recipe) on the internet. Easy to make, tasty to eat, keep well in the Fridge. Had some tonight.

Not sure, but I think this is the recipe she was using as the basis:

1 c water
1 tsp salt
1 c couscous
juice & zest of 2 lemons
1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded, and diced
1 medium bell pepper, seeded and diced
2 green onions, thinly sliced
2 tbsp olive oil

Bring the water, with the salt added, to a boil in a saucepan on a camp stove. Remove from the heat, add the couscous, stir, and cover. Let sit for 5 minutets. Fluff with a fork and allow to cool. Stir in the remaining ingredients and serve.

From Campfire Cuisine: Gourmet Recipes for the Great Outdoors by Robin Donovan.

This was the cookbook that Leslie used at AirVenture 2009.

1 c water
1 tsp salt
1 c couscous
juice & zest of 2 lemons
2 tbsp olive oil

Bring the water, with the salt added, to a boil in a saucepan on a camp stove. Remove from the heat, add the couscous, stir, and cover. Let sit for 5 minutets. Fluff with a fork and allow to cool. Stir in the remaining ingredients and serve.

Forgot the lemons and salt but I didn't do too bad.

Just had my first batch of cucumber pickles come out of the crock this morning. Mmmmm.

1 c water
1 tsp salt
1 c couscous
juice & zest of 2 lemons
2 tbsp olive oil

I used this recipe today with the exception of the bell pepper and it was great!

Back