YPOPS for getting mail

Carol

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Carol
Does anyone use this? I have followed the directions provided for using OE6 to get yahoo mail but with no success.

Carol said:
Does anyone use this? I have followed the directions provided for using OE6 to get yahoo mail but with no success.

I've tried it. It's not very robust. You know it runs a proxy server on your PC. You have to be sure it's running and you connect through it.

I think I came across other like YPOPS. I'll let you know what I find.

Carol, if you get a GMail account, (SECURE!, encrypted) POP access is free. Let me know if you want an invite.

mikea said:
I've tried it. It's not very robust. You know it runs a proxy server on your PC. You have to be sure it's running and you connect through it.

I think I came across other like YPOPS. I'll let you know what I find.

Carol, if you get a GMail account, (SECURE!, encrypted) POP access is free. Let me know if you want an invite.

I've got it running although it's sporadic.

No thanks on the Gmail. I have enough now :)

"You know it runs a proxy server on your PC."
Is that a bad thing?

Carol said:
I've got it running although it's sporadic.

No thanks on the Gmail. I have enough now :)

"You know it runs a proxy server on your PC."
Is that a bad thing?

It's not really a problem unless it's poorly written. Being an old f*?t I always make an effort to kill off and disable as many unneeded progams as possible. I want to save every CPU cycle I can, although some programs will still sap whatever you saved elsewhere. For example, right now, Firefox freezes for a few seconds when doing things like loading Adobe Acrobat. I could have a supercomputer and still be waiting.

If you don't make an effort to start and stop it manually, YPOP would be running the server all of the time waiting for you to ask for new email.

Back