Your Tri-Motor copilot might be...

rottydaddy

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
beaky
Me!! :D
I just booked the right seat for a ride at TTN Saturday the 13th; 3PM... should be fun.
Anybody here ever flown that beastie?

I just booked the right seat for a ride at TTN Saturday the 13th; 3PM... should be fun.

Wow, that should be fun. You BETTER take pictures, and lots of them! :yes:What I REALLY want to do is go out to AZ and get the Tri Motor type rating. Now THAT would really be cool.

Tri Motor = second best fuel to noise converter devised by mankind....
#1 is the AV-8B

#1 is your choice of Harley Davidson motorcycle. I've helped the local EAA chapter with that thing, and gotten to fly in it. Haven't done the right seat yet. Have fun.

I assume you have studied the POH :)

The 1929 "Instruction Manual for Ford Trimotor" used to be on line - but I can't find it anymore. I have a copy (23 meg pdf, 106 pages) I could use to clog your inbox if desired.

I got 10 minutes on the controls in the right seat some years ago when the EAA tri-motor was at Owatonna MN. It was really cool. I have a story write up of it somewhere. Have fun!

Tri Motor = second best fuel to noise converter devised by mankind....

It's the best alarm clock too - It's the only airplane I can't sleep through at OSH! Three big wooden props at 2900 RPM, and they don't go away very fast. :rofl:

I assume you have studied the POH :)

The 1929 "Instruction Manual for Ford Trimotor" used to be on line - but I can't find it anymore. I have a copy (23 meg pdf, 106 pages) I could use to clog your inbox if desired.
Yeah, go ahead- I doubt I'll need the POH (it's not a lesson so much as a chance to touch the controls during a flight, as far as I know)... but it would be cool to know as much as possible before going up.

Cool!

I've copiloted it at least a few times, including once during AirVenture. I used to do ground crew for it at EAA's Pioneer Airport, AirVenture, and on the road when we used to take it on short cross-countries to outreach events around WI. Due to being on a couple of those trips I think I have at least five hours riding in the cabin. I learned to bring earplugs!

I remember the plane being pretty light in pitch and not too light in roll. It was easy to fly. It does everything at pretty much one speed... climb, cruise, approach... was it 80 mph or so? Can't remember. Anyway, what a unique and neat plane to fly.

I was surprised to learn that the pilot flying it at OSH used a higher speed for landing than for the takeoff climb.

-lance

Cool!

I've copiloted it at least a few times, including once during AirVenture. I used to do ground crew for it at EAA's Pioneer Airport, AirVenture, and on the road when we used to take it on short cross-countries to outreach events around WI. Due to being on a couple of those trips I think I have at least five hours riding in the cabin. I learned to bring earplugs!

I remember the plane being pretty light in pitch and not too light in roll. It was easy to fly. It does everything at pretty much one speed... climb, cruise, approach... was it 80 mph or so? Can't remember. Anyway, what a unique and neat plane to fly.

Per the "POH" (4-AT-E):

"High Speed" 130 MPH
Crusing Speed 110 MPH
Stalling Speed 58 MPH

Doesn't give the best climb speed - just says it depends on the model and weight.

Range 560 miles
Service Ceiling 14,500 ft
Glide Ratio 9.7 to 1
Rate of climb at sea level 950 FPM

Weight Empty 6,500 lbs
Useful Load 3,630 lbs
Total Weight Loaded 10,130
Gasoline Capacity 231 gal
Oil Capacity 30 gal

11 pasenger seats

Engines 3 Wright J-6, total power 900 HP

Electric starters were an option

And the brakes are actuated by a big lever that looks like a shift lever between the seats - straight back gives both brakes, move to one side or the other for differential braking

No flaps.

When you bought one, it was shipped in 7 boxes with instructions on the outside.

Your wish is my command...

http://www.valleairport.com/typerating.htm

PIC = $12,900
SIC = $9,900
Type rating on your license = Priceless

For over 10 grand, I'd almost rather get the DC-3 rating, and for that I'd only have to go to Georgia. :D

What's odd about that Gooney program is that the SIC course is cheaper than for the Ford (@ $6K), but the PIC rating is about $18K.

http://www.thedc-3network.com/training.htm

For me, either one would require a winning lottery ticket of some kind, so I'd probably do both. :D

Is it really a type rating? Because that would be, afaik, the only non-turbofan aircraft under 12,500 to require a type rating!

The 5-AT-E model has a gross weight of 13,500 to go along with the three big 1275 HP Pratt & Whitney Wasps.

EAA 106 is hosting the TriMotor the 18th-21st at Lawrence Muni. Get a chance to fly some history Friday, Saturday, or Sunday. They hosted the TriMotor a couple of years ago.
Drop me a PM if you want more info or go to www.eaa.org/fordtrimotor to schedule your flight.
BTW: It's on a travelling schedule. This weekend it is in Trenton NJ.

Last edited:
So only some of the tri-motors were above 12,500, but a type rating is required to fly all of them?

If you were an insurance carrier, and there was a type rating available for this rare and unusual airplane, wouldn't you require it?

Got my turn earlier than planned today, and it was pretty unforgettable. The PIC had been the copilot on my B-17 ride a while back, and he knows 407 very well.
Wasn't sure I'd get any time on the controls until he said "You a pilot?" as I was settling into the right seat.
Once we were trimmed at about 1300, he let me take her for most of the flight (about 10 minutes).

Flies like... well, it flies like a Ford Tri-Motor. :D It's like any of the other old taildraggers I've flown: a shot of early rudder as you turn, but not too much. But you have to start rolling in or out early, because she needs a little time to do that, LOL. He gave me targets for the two turns we made (water towers) and I did fairly well at timing everything.
I'll admit I had some trouble holding altitude at first...must be all the recent glider time, in addition to the unfamiliarity with the airplane. But I got it together eventually.

I liked it, and I'm sure I could get the hang of flying it properly without much fuss; maybe even land it without mishap.

It wouldn't have been a big disappointment if he hadn't let me fly it- $100 is fair for a chance to sit up there and enjoy the view, etc. But it sure was an honor and a delight to grab a handful of aviation history!! :yes:

Some snaps below- including a vidcap (my friend was shooting video in the back) showing me at the helm...:D

Captions:
1) "Get out of my seat, kid..."

2) P&W manicure, anyone?

3) "I wish I could remember a sea chanty..."

4) Coming in for a silky wheel landing on 24

Attachments

• rotpoa_09130801.JPG
    rotpoa_09130801.JPG
    153.5 KB · Views: 26
  • rotpoa_09130802.JPG
    rotpoa_09130802.JPG
    159.2 KB · Views: 25
  • rotpoa_09130803.jpg
    rotpoa_09130803.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 25
  • rotpoa_09130804.JPG
    rotpoa_09130804.JPG
    82 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Did you do any loops, rolls, spins, or one wheel landings?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6dWtDk_rOI&feature=related :yikes:

Harold Johnson... he was Da Man. I love that clip! :smile:
Goes to show that it's just a big taildragger... he knew exactly what speeds worked, how long things would take... and he probably made sure it was as light as possible with just enough fuel for the routine, LOL!

Probably a very good thing the airframe was new at the time, too... :D

That spin entry is unbelievable!! I wish the clip showed more of the entry; looks like maybe he stalled at the top of a loop to do it, 'cuz it's inverted. :yikes: And that rudder is definitely bigger than it seems... comes right out of the spin when he tells it to. Really sharp flying, there.

At any rate, I'm sure Sam Bass, who was PIC on my flight, could probably roll it on with one wheel, at least. He's got a very good feel for that beast.

I flew right seat around the patch when our EAA chapter had the plane here for rides. What a hoot! Talk about a lumber wagon! You need sever arm strenth to turn the beast. It takes off at 85 cruises at 85 and lands at 85. :rofl:

The wings were used as the bagage area! I'm serious! They had pull down folding storage ladders so you could access the underside of the wing to get your luggage in and out.

Check out the control cables when you are looking at the plane, they are on the outside of the aircraft so passengers could not grab them! I guess they did not have icing back then! LOL

Another little factoid about the EAA Trimotor is this plane was actually "Airforce One" for some country in South America. :rofl:

It is a flying piece of flying history for sure! Have fun!

Last edited:
I flew right seat around the patch when our EAA chapter had the plane here for rides. What a hoot! Talk about a lumber wagon! You need sever arm strenth to turn the beast. It takes off at 85 cruises at 85 and lands at 85. :rofl:

That's not fair. I've ridden in it a couple times when we've had it ....
but how come you got copilot and I didn't? $$$$ You'd think they'd
give priority to old gray haired guys.

RT

RT
All you gotta do is pay a little more and reserve the seat in advance.

RT

I'm old and got grair hair, I'm just better looking! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

All you gotta do is pay a little more and reserve the seat in advance.

Or work 3 days x 8 hours giving safety briefing, selling Tri-Motor souvenirs, cleaning out puke from the plane (my personal favorite) and you get a free ride! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Back