Your Posts Here Can Be Searched

Dick Madding

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Dick
Happened to Google myself and to my surprise found a number of posts made here and to other forums fully accessible without any log-on requirements. Ran the names of a few other PoA members and found the same thing. Not all my posts were there [hey, the ones on fuel management procedures might benefit someone! grin] but some very recent ones were.

So be advised, what you post here doesn't stay here.

This is a good thing for the site tho - makes it more visible to the public.

I hope everyone here thinks carefully about anything they post on the internet. All it takes is a simple search for of my name to see things that I have posted back when I was ten years old. This could be used against me my entire life, in job interviews, etc...I don't beleive I have ever posted a thing that I regret.

Welcome to the Intra-Web!

Does not surprise me one bit. I am pretty Google famous and finds lots of stuff I have written on the Internet. Not just on boards like this either but papers I have written for technical conferences, presentations I have made at speaking engagements, etc.

Basic rule of thumb, there is not provacy on the Internet.

Grandpa told me to never say (refering to phone use) any thing I would not want anyone else to hear and never write any thing I did not want seen.
And NEVER take a photo you would not want Grandma to see!
This was before Al Gore invented the internet, but very good advise IMO.

waaaaaay too many hits on my name to ever find me. I've tried. Doesn't help to have 3 surnames and 3 first names. I'm like Marcus from Indiana Jones....

N2212R said:
waaaaaay too many hits on my name to ever find me. I've tried. Doesn't help to have 3 surnames and 3 first names. I'm like Marcus from Indiana Jones....

Google N2212R, some or your post are there!!

Your Posts Here Found via Google

N2212R said:

I didn't go the easy route with "N2212R" but Googled your name and an appropriate key word- came up with this. Didn't go further down the listing, but there were more. Other key words would likely produce others-
http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3213

You are correct in that your name alone wouldn't work well, but once something is known about you that can be translated into key words, the search produces results.

And remember, NSA has all your phone calls in it's big Crays just waiting to be mined! :)

jangell said:
I hope everyone here thinks carefully about anything they post on the internet. All it takes is a simple search for of my name to see things that I have posted back when I was ten years old. This could be used against me my entire life, in job interviews, etc...I don't beleive I have ever posted a thing that I regret.

Welcome to the Intra-Web!
It helps to have a fairly common name. :p

I have found things that I posted in 1988, but only I know which it is and the last time I checked it was on the 10th or higher page of Google results.

Of course, a bit of cross checking will get you more terms to enter and make it easier to get THIS Mike Andrews.

Back