Your aviation invention?

Iceman

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Chris
I have noticed during the time I've spent at the airport that there are a lot of intelligent and mechanically inclined individuals that are involved in aviation. These individuals are pilots, mechanics, instructors, ATC individuals, owners, renters, and flight sim junkies. Most of these individuals consider aviation as their main hobby and spend a considerable amount of time thinking about it.

Both my father and I are mechanically inclined and are always trying to come up with new systems and gadgets that will make flying easier/safer. We put together our own tow for our aircraft and were amazed with the results. Instead of compromising with a pre-assembled unit we started with a blank sheet of paper. We defiantly did not save any money if we consider our time worth anything at all but we are satisfied with the result.

Below are some pictures of our creation. If you are wondering why the unit is so long it is because we have a mooney that has limitations on nosewheel movement that needs to be observed while standing/walking comfortable.

I’m wondering what inventions everyone else has come up with to make their aviation experience more enjoyable. No invention is too small! Fancy clipboards, hat racks, p!ss bag holders, etc. Post pictures please! How outfitted is your plane/hanger/ “aviation” room in your house.

This is meant to be a fun thread…

Last edited:
Lets try this...

tow.jpg

Last edited:
Chris,

Looks like a stealth tow! Cool! Give the picture attachment another shot
icon12.gif

Iceman said:
mooney that has limitations on nosewheel movement that needs to be observed while standing/walking comfortable.

With just a little effort you could arrange a light/noise to occur before you hit limits. Not that it's overly practical when hand towing but might be nice. Might be useful too, who knows.

I come up with ideas all the time for non aviation things. Some are useable in/around airplanes, some aren't. Almost all are specifically for my own use. Some aren't overly original but I never like the prepackaged versions of things I want. A few from the list:
*Pilot and aircraft maintenance logbook databases designed from scratch. Dedicated screen tells you what's coming up or overdue, notes section, assorted additional functions as needed. (I already have such a beast in place watching over my finances and I love it)
*Custom one off hand crafted super paranoid security system for my cabin (can be used in a hangar very easily - a box is a box)
*A variation of the security system equipment could be used to avoid hangar rash though I'm quite fond of bungee cords, tennis balls, paint marks and alignment targets myself.
*I intend to build a few small remote weather stations to put around my land that report back to a computer. Take that one step further and it can turn on runway lights, relay the weather/wind information to me in the plane and maybe connect me to the phone. Once the interface is there, you can add whatever you dream up.
*Float ramp on rails that's towable behind the jeep.
*I have a few ideas on a trailer to carry airplanes and/or use to work off my tailgate once I get my A&P.

Last edited:
Chris,

Very impressive! Did you design/build the drive and control portions? They look like a commercial product...a little like a snowblower or tiller. What did you use for the transmission? Very cool!

David

drhunt said:
Chris,

Very impressive! Did you design/build the drive and control portions? They look like a commercial product...a little like a snowblower or tiller. What did you use for the transmission? Very cool!

David

The control portions were taken from a toro snowblower to speed up the process. I thought about ordering the parts and making the control unit but in the end it took a lot less time this way. The control to move the snowblower discharge was adapted to open and close the nosewheel atachment device.

I looked at hydrostatic and gear drive transmissions like the ones out of cheap ridding mowers but I needed a system right away (moving the plane with snow/ice buildup) to keep the plane usable. Overall it was only another 2-300 to buy the snowblower instead of all the parts...

If you have any more questions feel free to ask!

Back